Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Bigma just came via FedEx!!

Wow! I heard it was a beast, but it really is a beast!! I can't wait to take this out this weekend and try it out in the "field".

That's it. No more lenses for a while. Really! I have to stop! This is it! Honest!

My first test shots really amaze me with the resolution and contrast! Even hand-held! The Pentax SR continues to amaze me.

Anyone interested in my Pentax SMC 300mm f/4? I will probably put it on the marketplace next week. I also have a nice 400 f/6.3 preset that is a gem too. No apparent CA or fringing, and pretty darn sharp. It is a 400 preset, but not like some of the junk lenses out there.

Woo-hoo! Another lens to play with!

Did I mention what a beast the Bigma is?

01-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote

Wow!

That's it. No more lenses for a while. Really! I have to stop! This is it! Honest!

Uh..... OK, sure.

And, Congrats on the new lens.
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Uh Tom? I've got some bad news for you....according to Lance B who coined the term LBA, "There is no cure for LBA".
BTW, Congrats on your new score. may I suggest arm exercises?

NaCl(I give you about a month before you start lusting after some other piece of glass)H2O
01-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Uh Tom? I've got some bad news for you....according to Lance B who coined the term LBA, "There is no cure for LBA".
BTW, Congrats on your new score. may I suggest arm exercises?

NaCl(I give you about a month before you start lusting after some other piece of glass)H2O
Congrats on the new addition! and as Salty says ... ummm read my sig ... I had a K100D and the 18-55 kit lens less than a year ago ..............next piece of glass I may have to start selling body parts Enjoy the Bigma as it is enjoyable (advice works well with a good Monopod as well !)

01-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Congrats! I am looking forward to the test shots.
01-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #6

Congrats on the new lens. I just picked mine up a week ago and find it to be a great addition to the lenses in my kit. Be sure and post some images from it when you get a chance. It is very Winter like around here so I have not had too much time to try mine but from the shots I have taken it is an amazing lens.

Is yours the newer APO DG Ex model? I could not find out exactly what the difference is between the new and the old model. It seems like they have several different codes on the models or people are reading them differently.
01-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
racinsince55

Wow! I heard it was a beast, but it really is a beast!! I can't wait to take this out this weekend and try it out in the "field".

Woo-hoo! Another lens to play with!

Did I mention what a beast the Bigma is?
I saw a TV commercial last nite where this guy stops his car, looks at his date and says, I just ran out of gas.

She says, really? and starts laughing uncontrolably.

I think she would have the same reaction to Toms statement.

01-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianK Quote
Is yours the newer APO DG Ex model? I could not find out exactly what the difference is between the new and the old model. It seems like they have several different codes on the models or people are reading them differently.
Yes, mine is straight from Sigma in New York. It is the APO DG EX model. (Whatever that is worth!)

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
I saw a TV commercial last nite where this guy stops his car, looks at his date and says, I just ran out of gas.

She says, really? and starts laughing uncontrolably.

I think she would have the same reaction to Toms statement.
So, my LBA is that obvious to everyone? My poor wife (literally), let's me buy stuff as long as she doesn't know about it.
01-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Ed in GA

So, my LBA is that obvious to everyone? My poor wife (literally), let's me buy stuff as long as she doesn't know about it.

My wife never sees the credit card statement.

She thinks I bought the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 for around $175.

And, yes, your LBA is that obvious. So is mine.

Ed
01-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
And, yes, your LBA is that obvious. So is mine.
Well it's not as obvious as Tom. Tom can't hide that Bigma. It's like having another woman in the house!

There is a cure to LBA though...

Sadly, the only cure for LBA is court ordered child support and weekend visitation rights to keep the outbreaks under control. It's a one-two punch.
01-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
My wife never sees the credit card statement.

She thinks I bought the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 for around $175.
Ya, same here. She knows about the Bigma, but has no idea how much - and doesn't want to know!

I did sell several other non-photographic items that were worth a lot more than this lens cost. I am putting all of that as payment on the card. But I am still in debt for a few of the lenses on my signature.

So, I need to find more stuff to sell so that I can buy a new DA 12-24.... Oops!!! There it goes again!! Help! LBA is taking over again!!!
01-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
Well it's not as obvious as Tom. Tom can't hide that Bigma. It's like having another woman in the house!

There is a cure to LBA though...

Sadly, the only cure for LBA is court ordered child support and weekend visitation rights to keep the outbreaks under control. It's a one-two punch.
If this keeps up, I will have to work at a second job to pay for my LBA!!
01-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi Tom

I burst out laughing when you said.....

QuoteQuote:
No more lenses for a while. Really! I have to stop! This is it! Honest!
Well, I'm finally going to let you in on a teensy-weensy secret, which might come as something of a shock, so I hope you're sitting down. You see, lurking mischievously in the corner of your basement, if you look very carefully behind the skirting-boards you may well discover the rare phenomena that is often referred to in 'hushed tones' by 'those in the know' as the pPP's........yep, they're commonly called the persuasive Pentax Pixies !
From what I have managed to glean from reliable sources over the years, they apparently 'lay low' for weeks on end and just when you least expect it, they creep out undetected and silently follow you to your local photographic store.
If you've ever heard those nagging little voices at the back of your head which keep saying:
"You know you really WANT to, GO ON, just this once, nobody need know".......well, it's those pesky PP's at work again !!!!
Therefore next time you experience these symptoms, at least you'll have a better understanding of the situation.....oh BTW, if you want to retain your sanity, I would definitely advise you to keep this matter well & truly under your hat, should anybody else enquire.....so always remember that immortal phrase: "Silence is golden" !

Best regards
Richard
01-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I heard they have a 12-step program for LBA's.
01-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When did they start making the APO for the pentax? I can't find it.
Anyway your are a bad man. lol lol ..... I want one so bad....sob sob.