Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
Wow! I heard it was a beast, but it really is a beast!! I can't wait to take this out this weekend and try it out in the "field".

That's it. No more lenses for a while. Really! I have to stop! This is it! Honest!

My first test shots really amaze me with the resolution and contrast! Even hand-held! The Pentax SR continues to amaze me.

Anyone interested in my Pentax SMC 300mm f/4? I will probably put it on the marketplace next week. I also have a nice 400 f/6.3 preset that is a gem too. No apparent CA or fringing, and pretty darn sharp. It is a 400 preset, but not like some of the junk lenses out there.

Woo-hoo! Another lens to play with!

Did I mention what a beast the Bigma is?
That is awesome news, Tom! Congratz!!!

01-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Ok, it's been over 9 hours now.................................

01-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes Tom, you are in severe trouble here for not posting a shot.....9 hours !!! and counting, mate...and counting.

Penalties are severe for this type of indiscretion.....for example, you have to buy every forum member who responds to this thread, beer, for each hour you are late in posting.... .......that'll cure your LBA (well the non-posting bit anyway )

Oh...and Tom?...didn't we mention the Bigma was a beast of a thing....alright, alright I'm going..............
01-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Anyone interested in my Pentax SMC 300mm f/4? I will probably put it on the marketplace next week. I also have a nice 400 f/6.3 preset that is a gem too. No apparent CA or fringing, and pretty darn sharp. It is a 400 preset, but not like some of the junk lenses out there.

So, If I take the 300 f4 or 400 f6.3 off your hands, is that what they call "enabling"? :^)

(not that I'm at all interested, really, but out of curiosity, what are you asking for your 300 & 400? I mean, if someone else here wanted to buy them, let's say. Because it's not me, I'm just asking, you know, for the benefit of others.)

01-26-2008, 04:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Ok, it's been over 9 hours now.................................

Ok, ok..... I was hoping to photograph something that would be worth posting, but here goes...

Here is the beast:

And here is a test photo that I did at lunch time from about 20 feet away!

And another:

More to come... I promise!!
01-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
So, If I take the 300 f4 or 400 f6.3 off your hands, is that what they call "enabling"? :^)

(not that I'm at all interested, really, but out of curiosity, what are you asking for your 300 & 400? I mean, if someone else here wanted to buy them, let's say. Because it's not me, I'm just asking, you know, for the benefit of others.)
I will want about $280 plus shipping for the 300mm, and $90 plus shipping for the 400mm...

Click on my gallery pics. Several were taken with the 400...
01-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

If this keeps up, I will have to work at a second job to pay for my LBA!!
Yes I have considered this.....I am trying to get into wedding/event work to pay for me habit!!! Congrats on the Bigma...its a pretty versatile lens.

01-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #23
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Isn't it fun, that all of us on this forum, in some way, feed each others "LBA".
01-26-2008, 07:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It can go into remission for a time, but....

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I heard they have a 12-step program for LBA's.
But how effective is it? I've heard stories about photogs who went withoug buying lenses for years, and then all of a sudden....BAM! A FA* 300MM just happened to be on sale at the local photographic store and the rest is history. You might be able to get by for a while, but it won't last forever.

NaCl(of course you could give up photography and take up string collecting)H2O
01-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #25

Ok, ok..... I was hoping to photograph something that would be worth posting, but here goes...

Here is the beast:

And here is a test photo that I did at lunch time from about 20 feet away!

And another:

More to come... I promise!!
I knew the Bigma was big, but holy cow, they should call it the Hugema!
01-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #26
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
But how effective is it? I've heard stories about photogs who went withoug buying lenses for years, and then all of a sudden....BAM! A FA* 300MM just happened to be on sale at the local photographic store and the rest is history. You might be able to get by for a while, but it won't last forever.

NaCl(of course you could give up photography and take up string collecting)H2O

I'll tell you what. Once I get rid of these two M 50mm f/1.4 lens that I bought, for who knows why, I am, as is Tom, going to stop buying lens. Yep, no more. I have to stop.
For sure. I promise. No more.......

Now please, no comments about girls on TV commercials laughing uncontrolably...
01-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Recovered alcoholics refer to themselves as 'alcoholics' the rest of their lives, even if they haven't had a drink in 30 years, because of the very real possibility of falling off the wagon at any time. It's a way that they can remind themselves just how easy it is to go back to old habits, and it helps them keep their guard up. Once you've had the disease, it's a quicker fall back into active addiction than someone who's never had it.

Of course, with LBA, you generally keep your job, spouse (hopefully :^), house, freedom, etc.

Instead of losing self esteem and friends, you usually gain some, because this particular addiction has the neat little side benefit of producing increasingly wonderful images that you can share.

And your spouse eventually comes around when she starts seeing bokah-laden pictures of herself taken with that soft 85mm f2.0..... :^)

New Pentax marketing slogan:

LBA: Why fight it?

01-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

From one Tom to another Tom, congratulations! That looks like just the right size "walk around" lens. Yeah, right.
01-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can I see a photo of where it says APO? I still don't see a APO for Pentax yet online.
01-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Always want one of these lenses, but so difficult to get hold of in the UK with K mount. So as an interim, I got hold of the 170-500mm Sigma. Its about as big but is not an EX lens :-(
However, its still pretty good. If anyone is interested, I have some shots taken with it on my flickr account, go to the Donna Nook set to see images taken with it.

One of these days I will get hold of a Bigma, and maybe a Sigmonster if Sigma will build me one with a Pentax mount (they have done in the past) - In case you are wondering the Sigmonster is the 300-800mm lens

My Flickr account is - Flickr: Photos from Offertonhatter