Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #46

Got my BIGMA today. But............

Hi! all,

I was excited until I tried testing it. I use a K110D and the AF does not focus. It is night here but the lights are on in the house.

In manual mode the cam gives the focus beep but the pic is out of focus.

Can someone help me with why this happens?

Thanks

Tasha

02-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #47

I too, recently bought a Bigma and have really enjoyed it. While at the zoo today, another photographer suggested I use a support for it. Does anyone think it might damage the camera without one or can the camera hold 4lbs ok?

I shoot with it handheld and with a tripod (RRS BH40 Ballhead).

Thanks!
Phil
02-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tasha_22 Quote
In manual mode the cam gives the focus beep but the pic is out of focus.

Can someone help me with why this happens?
Make sure that you have the focus ring in the auto-focus position. It has two positions. Putting it a click forward or a click backward changes it from manual to automatic focus.
02-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philipweber Quote
I too, recently bought a Bigma and have really enjoyed it. While at the zoo today, another photographer suggested I use a support for it. Does anyone think it might damage the camera without one or can the camera hold 4lbs ok?
Someone told me that by supporting the lens with the camera will eventually loosen the mount. I use two hands and hold one hand on the lens and the other to control the camera. If you don't use a strap, you can support both with the tripod mount/handle on the lens.

Although, I used it all day at the zoo a while back and nothing was wrong with my camera or lens. It takes some time and days of use to loosen the camera mount. It is better for the lens to support the camera, than the camera to support the lens. Don't use a neck strap when transporting this lens, use the handle, if you are concerned.

Last edited by TomInJax; 02-02-2008 at 07:47 PM.
02-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #50

Thanks! I support the lens with my left hand while shooting without a tripod but will start using the tripod collar. It seemed solid enough but it makes sense that, over time, it's not doing the camera mount any good.

All the best,
Phil
02-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the lens grip have a way to attach a strap to it? Have used big lenses before and always used a strap top carry it that way. You don't want to carry that lens from the camera body. Will throw the lens mount/ focus off eventually.
From lens front ( no hood) to lens mount how long is it zoomed all the way out? Enjoy the lens. It lokks like a winner.
thanks
barondla
02-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #52
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Philip, I agree you shouldn't put all the torque on the camera mount by holding the camera not the lens. I actually splurged for the bigger tripod bracket that doubles as a handle; the one it came with didn't let my fingers fit between the tripod bracket and the lens. My big Sigma came with a strap and I'd guess yours did too. It would be good to use that if the tripod mount you have doesn't lend itself well to carrying.

02-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #53

Thanks for the info on the AF and Manual. I love the lens. I have not gone out shooting with it yet but will do so next weekend.

Question.

It came with a Sigma CPL. How does a CPL help?

Thanks

Tasha
02-04-2008, 04:39 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tasha_22 Quote
It came with a Sigma CPL. How does a CPL help?
A circular polarizar will reduce or remove some reflections - like off water surfaces, it also tends to increase saturation in colors - especially the sky. The only problem is that you will lose a stop of light by using it. If you have a tripod, use it for some very sharp and beautiful shots with your Bigma and CPL!