Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Now this is why I was so hesitant in buying one when I did. I am so sorry that happened to you, but at least it is still under warranty!
7-yr Mack warranties is $39 for this lens.

07-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Now this is why I was so hesitant in buying one when I did. I am so sorry that happened to you, but at least it is still under warranty!
It wasn't like that before they 'repaired' it. I needed a new O ring because the zoom ring became very sloppy. I think they tightened something up too much. Anyway, it'd better be fixed because I paid A$1495 for that lens almost a year ago and by the time it comes back it will be, most likely, out of warranty.
07-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
7-yr Mack warranties is $39 for this lens.
I believe you can only buy a Mack Camera warranty within the first 90 days of purchase of the lens. At least that's what Mack Camera told me when I tried to buy a warranty for my Sigma 150-500mm HSM when it still had more than a year left on the original warranty.
07-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It wasn't like that before they 'repaired' it. I needed a new O ring because the zoom ring became very sloppy. I think they tightened something up too much. Anyway, it'd better be fixed because I paid A$1495 for that lens almost a year ago and by the time it comes back it will be, most likely, out of warranty.
I believe you'll get an extra 6 month of warranty when your lens gets back to you...

07-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Have you thought about selling the lens when you get it back from warranty? After the experience you've had, I'm not sure I would want to own it without the security of a warranty. It's kind of hard to enjoy a lens when you're constantly worrying about it dying and costing you a lot of time and money.
07-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The thing is I've hardly used it since I bought the DA 60-250 and a few other lenses. It's not like it's out and about with me all the time. I am considering selling off all of my Pentax gear when my Nikon D800E returns in a few weeks.
07-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The thing is I've hardly used it since I bought the DA 60-250 and a few other lenses. It's not like it's out and about with me all the time. I am considering selling off all of my Pentax gear when my Nikon D800E returns in a few weeks.
What happened to the D800e? That camera is the first camera that really made me think about switching. I am sticking with Pentax for now, but I would love to hear your experience with it just for future reference.
07-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I am considering selling off all of my Pentax gear when my Nikon D800E returns in a few weeks.
I hope that Pentax is paying attention when customers like you are contemplating leaving the system, partly because of problems with their SDM lenses.

07-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

What happened to the D800e? That camera is the first camera that really made me think about switching. I am sticking with Pentax for now, but I would love to hear your experience with it just for future reference.

I bought a few lenses for the D800E with the intention of just using it for portraits and landscapes but things got out of hand:

I was going to hang on to my Pentax glass for the interim to try it out with the K-5 replacement and possible FF (LOL). So I bought a few Sigma lenses for the Nikon (50/1.4, 85/1.4, 150/2.8 OS Macro and a Zeiss 21mm) but I just couldn't get the 150 to focus at infinity - I tried a few of them with the same result. The Sigma 50 and the 150 needed more the maximum adjustment of -20 (opposite of Pentax) to get close and the 85 needed -9 . I returned the 150 (not realizing that the 50 also needed that adjustment) and bought a 70-200 VRII and that also needs a -9 AF fine adjustment. It seemed to me that the global AF tuning was out by +9 or 10 so I took it to a Nikon warranty technician who thought it sounded like the camera wasn't calibrated correctly... so he sent it off to Nikon Australia for treatment. I had already sold my two K-5's and was told that the camera would be way for 2 to 4 weeks. I then thought that it might end up needing to go to CR Kennedy (Pentax, Sigma & Hasselblad etc ) for getting the lenses rechipped if Nikon didn't work out and that would have been at least another two weeks. With the possibility that The D800E would be gone for up to 7 weeks I folded and bought another K-5. I really need to sell a boatload of things on ebay to recover money and I didn't have a camera but lots of lenses. On top of that I injured y back and got a bad flu. Very frustrating.
07-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I hope that Pentax is paying attention when customers like you are contemplating leaving the system, partly because of problems with their SDM lenses.
I don't know if I can afford to hang on if lenses are going to start failing on a regular basis. I also sent my DA*55 away to get the focus sorted out as that thing is unreliable and chatters back and forth and quite often misses. I can hardly get it to focus in Live View either.
07-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I don't know if I can afford to hang on if lenses are going to start failing on a regular basis. I also sent my DA*55 away to get the focus sorted out as that thing is unreliable and chatters back and forth and quite often misses. I can hardly get it to focus in Live View either.
If it weren't for Sigma's excellent lens lineup for K-mount, I doubt I would have stayed with Pentax. Not only does Sigma make a lot of great lenses, but they are also reasonably priced. And on top of that, they back them up with much longer warranties than Pentax. (In the US, Sigma EX lenses get a 4-year warranty).

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-17-2012 at 08:05 AM.
07-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
That's not been my experience with it at all. I know it's a bit trite to say "you got a bad copy", but that may be the case. Any way you can exchange it?
My experience has been that the 50-135 *is* soft wide open....but it sharpens up immediately upon stopping down a bit.
07-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
If it weren't for Sigma's excellent lens lineup for K-mount, I doubt I would have stayed with Pentax. Not only does Sigma make a lot of great lenses, but they are also reasonably priced. And on top of that, they back them up with much longer warranties than Pentax. (In the US, Sigma EX lenses get a 4-year warranty).
I agree, I wish I would've saved up a bit more for the Sigma 70-200 APO HSM II over the DA* 50-135 f2.8, probably sharper at f2.8 and faster HSM focusing over SDM, and longer focal length. My next lens will surely be a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 over the Pentax 16-50 f2.8 as the DA* 16-50 is absolutely horrible wide-open and has to be stopped down quite a bit to see sharp results. With almost 300 bucks cheaper on the Sigma, I don't have to worry about SDM failure and I'm sure the Sigma is sharper also at f2.8
07-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
My next lens will surely be a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 over the Pentax 16-50 f2.8 as the DA* 16-50 is absolutely horrible wide-open and has to be stopped down quite a bit to see sharp results. With almost 300 bucks cheaper on the Sigma, I don't have to worry about SDM failure and I'm sure the Sigma is sharper also at f2.8
I just bought the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (along with the DA 50-135) and I've been very impressed. Sharp wide open, quiet, well built...

Edit: I ran some more tests with the DA 50-135: I shouldn't have said it's soft at 2.8, I should have said it's *softer*. I crop everything 100% so yes I'm being a little picky here. Even softer at f2.8, images are way better than just usable. They're good.
At f5.6 and down it's just magnificent.

Last edited by nicoprod; 07-17-2012 at 11:32 AM.
07-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
My experience has been that the 50-135 *is* soft wide open....but it sharpens up immediately upon stopping down a bit.
That's not my experience either. I've sold several landscape pictures from the 50-135 - images always seem to have that pixy dust. I carry that lens most places.

BTW folks, sonic motors in SDM aren't the only ones that have problems, HSM motors do as well. Just search on Sigma hsm failure and you can find discussions like this:

Flickr: Discussing The autofocus doesnt work in SIGMA APO 70-200mm f 2.8 EX DG HSM (Macro)