Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #61
Site Supporter

'f8 and be there'?

I'm not a big fan of the plan but a lot of people purchasing DSLR's don't know what aperture is.

07-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Why not create a fixed aperture entry-level lens? I don't mean fixed maximum aperture;
i've shoot many times using a f5,6 lens with 1/4000 and 100 iso, since may. With a fixed aperture lens, during very bright days, lots of picture could be burned.
07-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Why not create a fixed aperture entry-level lens? I don't mean fixed maximum aperture; I mean, remove the aperture blades entirely. If you want to control depth of field, well, sorry, it is a fairly narrow aperture anyway. If you want to vary shutter speed, our cameras have lots of ISO range; if you want to vary ISO, we have shake reduction and much faster shutter speeds than in decades past. Aperture leaves and levers comprise a lot of moving parts in a lens, and therefore cost... An optically superior lens, if somewhat limited in the eyes of intermediate photogs, but at a much lower cost, might just be enough to kick up a blogosphere storm while dropping prices and get some attention on the brand. How limited would most kit lens buyers be by using only maximum aperture--supposing that the lens was corrected to have minimal aberrations at that aperture? Would it perhaps make sense to take an intermediate lens, put a slower fixed aperture in it, and maybe use smaller diameter lenses but of the same optical calculation? Much lower development costs, much lower entry-level price, and people would still buy the upgrade lens because of the added flexibility it offers. Win-win?
Good thinking outside the box, or maybe back to the box:
Long before the phrase "soccer moms,"
soccer moms could shoot with "box cameras"
having a fixed aperture lens and a fixed shutter speed.
Worked OK with film that had plenty of latitude.

Returning to current reality:
I use a 10x travel zoom (1/2.5" sensor) when a DSLR isn't available,
and it usually just sets itself to its maximum aperture when I let it.
07-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
That was just my mistyping. I meant FA 50mm F1.4. With the DA 50 coming out, there will be three <F2 lenses around the 50mm mark. I'd expect the old FA to be withdrawn.
I was wondering if that was a typo. The FA has the aperture ring and is still substantially faster than the DA 50. The optical formula is proven. About the only thing I could suggest is add ghostless coating to the rear element like the FA 35/2 had. It wasn't that long ago that the FA was selling new, shipped for $199. The lens was developed in the early 90s so the R&D has been recouped long ago on it.

There is no mention whether or not the DA 50/1.8 has Ghostless Coating or not, only SP (in addition to SMC obviously). It also lacks quick shift so I don't see any advantage over the FA except current pricing and that could have been changed.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2012/20120529_03.html

Last edited by Blue; 07-20-2012 at 08:30 AM.
07-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It also lacks quick shift
Not sure if it's accurate or not but on the US Pentax site it says it has Quick-shift. PENTAX - smc PENTAX DA 50mm f1.8
07-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #66
Site Supporter

I was wondering if that was a typo. The FA has the aperture ring and is still substantially faster than the DA 50. The optical formula is proven. About the only thing I could suggest is add ghostless coating to the rear element like the FA 35/2 had. It wasn't that long ago that the FA was selling new, shipped for $199. The lens was developed in the early 90s so the R&D has been recouped long ago on it.

There is no mention whether or not the DA 50/1.8 has Ghostless Coating or not, only SP (in addition to SMC obviously). It also lacks quick shift so I don't see any advantage over the FA except current pricing and that could have been changed.

smc PENTAX-DA 50mm F1.8 A versatile, medium-telephoto lens with superb image description, designed exclusively for PENTAX K-mount interchangeable-lens digital cameras | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
It allegedly does have quick shift, and with the rounded aperture design I'm guessing it has better bokeh at all apertures above 1.8. I'm considering purchasing one, and I have a 1.4.
07-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Not sure if it's accurate or not but on the US Pentax site it says it has Quick-shift. PENTAX - smc PENTAX DA 50mm f1.8
Actual user reports that it does NOT have QuickShift
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/193129-da-50mm...s-samples.html
07-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Actual user reports that it does NOT have QuickShift DA 50mm 1.8 - Brief hands-on impressions and samples
Well, I was hopeful it would but am not surprised it doesn't. According to the link I provided, if you click on the Specs tab, the lens also has 52mm diaphragm blades and 7 aperture rings. Pentax needs to QC their website a little better.

07-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #69
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It allegedly does have quick shift, and with the rounded aperture design I'm guessing it has better bokeh at all apertures above 1.8. I'm considering purchasing one, and I have a 1.4.
The FA 50/1.4 has 8 blades and the DA has 7.

Well, I was hopeful it would but am not surprised it doesn't. According to the link I provided, if you click on the Specs tab, the lens also has 52mm diaphragm blades and 7 aperture rings. Pentax needs to QC their website a little better.
The link I posted above was the Japanese Pentax site and it made no mention of Quick Shift. It is also unclear on the Japanese site whether those 7 blades are rounded or not.
07-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #70
Site Supporter

The FA 50/1.4 has 8 blades and the DA has 7.
Number of blades isn't everything. I was taking some portraits at Christmas with a lighted tree out of focus in the background and everything had stop-sign 'highlighted' bokeh, which I couldn't stand.
07-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Number of blades isn't everything. I was taking some portraits at Christmas with a lighted tree out of focus in the background and everything had stop-sign 'highlighted' bokeh, which I couldn't stand.
I didn't say it was. It had to do with the context of the post. He implied that the DA had more blades than the FA 50/1.4 and it doesn't and it isn't clear that they are much more rounded either. However, more blades usually helps.
07-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In post #5 of the thread that Docrwn linked to above rawr shared a link to a picture of a bokeh test of this lens. The samples at f/2 and f/2.8 look like they could be rounded blades while the samples at f/5.6 and f/8 look pretty straight. I'm not familiar enough with rounded vs. straight blades to do anything more than guess about which ones this lens has.
07-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #73
Veteran Member

In post #5 of the thread that Docrwn linked to above rawr shared a link to a picture of a bokeh test of this lens. The samples at f/2 and f/2.8 look like they could be rounded blades while the samples at f/5.6 and f/8 look pretty straight. I'm not familiar enough with rounded vs. straight blades to do anything more than guess about which ones this lens has.
There is a picture of the blades in that referenced post.
07-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wadaya know!
07-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #75
Site Supporter

In post 71, I said that it is unclear if they are much more rounded than the FA 50/1.4. There was a big difference in the blades of the D FA 100 and the 100 WR lens regarding rounded blades. Of course the 1.4 also has 8 blades.