Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

If possible wait for 16 50 on sale like $749. It can be hazy when shooting into the sun which is worse than 18 135. Otherwise the 16 50 is excellent at bokeh, micro contrast, zippy af and wr.

12-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Are you the original owner? If so, I'd try to get it fixed as I think there is a 5-year warranty. (I don't believe the warranty is transferable though).
Yes, I'm the original owner. Scrounging for the paperwork to send it in. Although I'm somewhat tempted to just leave it at 17mm and treat it as a relatively sharp, fast prime.
12-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I really like mine.

I took my 6 and 8 year old children to cremate the family pet today, and the 17-50 is what I brought along to photograph the occasion with.

RIP Buddy.
12-18-2012, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I really like mine.

I took my 6 and 8 year old children to cremate the family pet today, and the 17-50 is what I brought along to photograph the occasion with.

RIP Buddy.
Awww
I am sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is really heartbreaking.

12-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

i loved the lens, it cannot be beat for it's price

the downsides to the lens were:
relatively noisy AF (doesnt bother me)
often can under exposes (shoot in raw and all good)
12-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #36

Greetings Pentaxians! Long-time lurker, first time poster here.. can't wait to join in some of these great conversations

Anyways.. I was wondering how you all compromised when it comes to focus adjustment on the Tamron. I've got all my primes set pretty much perfectly, but I haven't even attempted to try and adjust the Tammy. Any tips would be appreciated!
12-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nrrfed Quote
Anyways.. I was wondering how you all compromised when it comes to focus adjustment on the Tamron. I've got all my primes set pretty much perfectly, but I haven't even attempted to try and adjust the Tammy. Any tips would be appreciated!
Welcome to the forum!

I've used the Tammy a lot on the K-x,
which doesn't have any official adjustment.
So for critical focusing there,
I've found that contrast-detect focusing in live view
is slow, but really nails the focus.

12-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
i loved the lens, it cannot be beat for it's price

the downsides to the lens were:
relatively noisy AF (doesnt bother me)
often can under exposes (shoot in raw and all good)

Mine pretty consistently underexposes about 2/3 to a full stop....really annoying when shooting raw and you're trying to balance exposure on a series of shots where you mixed lenses.

Terry
12-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Welcome to the forum!

I've used the Tammy a lot on the K-x,
which doesn't have any official adjustment.
So for critical focusing there,
I've found that contrast-detect focusing in live view
is slow, but really nails the focus.
Now that I think about it, almost all of my best shots with 17-50 were taken in live view. I guess live view doesn't suffer from the same front/back focus issues as using phase detection through the viewfinder. Does this have anything to do with contrast detect using the actual sensor to focus?
12-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nrrfed Quote
Now that I think about it, almost all of my best shots with 17-50 were taken in live view. I guess live view doesn't suffer from the same front/back focus issues as using phase detection through the viewfinder. Does this have anything to do with contrast detect using the actual sensor to focus?
Partly that, avoiding any errors that would result
because the lens to phase detection sensor distance
might be slightly different from the lens to image sensor distance.

The slowness of CDAF also helps: It keeps rechecking until it's right.

People complain about the slowness of Pentax PDAF,
but it often seems to be more accurate
than some of the faster implementations on bodies of other brands.
12-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I have the lens and to tell the truth it's on my K5 more than anything else.
Yup, same here.
10-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

This is old thread, but this post fits here nicely. Tamron 17-50 is my most used lens now. Using filter at wide has been problem cos corners will come black. Ok i newer remove protection filter and thats makes even more vingneting. But i have solution now, use 77mm filter with 67to77mm stepup ring. Even thick variable ND filter not cause vingneting anymore. So buy 77mm filter for this lens.
10-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Im glad you like it
I unfortunately sold mine because i wanted something weather resistant. If this lens had WR, i would buy one back in a heartbeat!
10-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #44
Veteran Member

My copy had so much back-focus on my K-x, I set it to +120 in debug mode to get it right. which is a hassle when I mount other lenses on the K-x and forget to disable debug mode... so it's pretty much locked on that camera now.

But when I get the focus right, the thing is sharp! If it came in WR, I'd be the all-weather king in my community... lol
10-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #45

Liked it on very much on my 40D. Didn't like it so much on K5. Returned it for focus adjustment after a month rarely used. Much prefer my Sigma 17-70 which also works better in low light. Originally bought Sigma and was going to sell that once I got the Tamron however sold the Tammy instead. Tammy likes good light when it was actually working properly.