Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Flash (Metz 36 A-5) not firing with Zenitar 16mm f/2.8

I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. If not, I apologize. I decided to get out my camera (pentax k-5) and my Zenitar 16mm and take some practice shots around the house. I had the camera on manual mode, as usual with this lens. Adjusted the aperture ring ( anywhere between 6-11.... Just playing with different settings). I had iso set to 1600, and shutter speed around 1/50-1/80. I wasn't getting bad pictures... But our lighting in the house makes everything look yellow. So I wanted to try out my flash. NOOOOOOOPE. Wouldn't fire. It turned on. It was ready to fire. But would not fire with this Lens. I tried everything. Went outside in the pitch black dark, still wouldn't fire. Then I put on my 18-55 lens. Fired every time. No problem. I've been on google the past hour trying to figure this out, with zero luck. All I've found out is that this lens is completely manual, and doesn't "communicate" with the camera body at all. Ok... All that being said... Has anyone else experienced this ? Is it impossible to use my external flash with this lens ? Thanks in advance for the advice and replies.

07-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
Is it impossible to use my external flash with this lens ?
I think that that is the case. Your flash can only do pTTL; no automatic mode or manual mode. If I'm not mistaken, the camera does not use / support pTTL with manual lenses so the flash will not fire.

QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
But our lighting in the house makes everything look yellow.
Select tungsten WB on the camera might be able to solve that.