Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA in the worst way...

Hey guys...

I'm new here. This is actually my 2nd post after lurking around here for a couple of months now. I really felt the need to get this LBA experience off my chest...

It started a month ago with a Pentax-A 35-70/f3.5-4.5 that I picked up from eBay along with a Pentax P5 film camera. Of course, that wasn't enough so I had to grab a few more of these cheapo lenses to the point of overdose. When all was said and done, I ended up with 9 lenses in less than a months time....ACK!

What makes it worse is that I didn't even have a camera yet! Yeah, this is probably one of the worst cases of pre-camera LBA in the history of LBA-dom. The plan all along was to pick up a K100D and then add a few manual lens to play around with. Well, I started hanging out here and one thing led to another and another and another. I'm sure you guys understand. Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

Pentax-A 50mm/F1.7
Tokina 28-70mm/F3.5-4.5
Sigma 28-80mm/F3.5-4.5
Ozunon 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5
Pentax-A 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5
Vivitar 70-150mm/F3.8 w/matching 2x teleconverter
Vivitar 70-210mm/F4.5-5.6 Macro Focusing Zoom
Tokina SD 70-210mm/F4-5.6 Macro Zoom
Quantaray 70-300mm/F4.0-5.6 Macro Zoom (rebadged Sigma DG, non-APO)

The good news is that I finally got around to picking up that K100D. It hasn't gotten here yet, but I'll be sure to let you guys know when it does.

01-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Addictions

Quite a few years ago I gave up drinking and smoking so I bought a Harley and a Corvette. Then I got hooked on watches so I bought and sold 7 different Seiko watches (I'm down to 3 now) and then I decided to collect guns so now I have a Browning .22, Kimber .45, Glock 9mm, and a Ruger .22 (I had a Springfield-Armory .45). A couple of weeks ago I bought a K10D with a 18-55 kit lens and last weekend it was a Manfrotto tripod and ball head and now I'm contemplating what I want for my next lens. And then I need a case and a flash and all the other accessories on top of that.

They say you don't actually give up your addictions but you find substitutes.

Last edited by Sprags; 01-25-2008 at 03:46 PM.
01-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know what you mean about addictions. First it was bowling.....I bowled in 3 leagues a week at one point and lugged 3-4 balls around with me all the time. Then it was golf. I still enjoy that. Then it was aquariums. That was one of the main reasons I got back into photography. I'm down to "only" 4 tanks now, but I enjoy them and love taking photos of the fish. It's just that this Olympus bridge camera is not cutting it anymore. Neither did the Fuji PNS I had before that. I knew it was time for me to get back to my roots. This won't be my first SLR, but it is my first foray into Pentax equipment. I had Minoltas and Konicas, but were talking 20 years ago. I think my last camera was a X-700. It feels good to get back into SLRs again. I'm sure there will be a learning curve with the K100D, but it should be easier for me than for the average newbie. At least that's what I've been saying to convince myself.

I didn't plan on the kit lens, but now that I have it I guess some of those zooms are going to have to go. I'm pretty sure I'll end up keeping the Pentax-A 35-70 and Tokina 28-70 for comparison. The Sigma appears to be a cheap lens....not very well built. It's light as a feather which I know I'm not going to like.
01-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I think I've made my decision to go with the Tamron 18-250 next and then maybe the Pentax 50mm F/1.4. I hope these will be good choices.

I was really hoping to get another motorcycle this summer. The one I have is great for long distance rides but I think I 'need' a boulevard cruiser. A chopper of some sort.

Then I'll try to make conservative decisions about the other lens choices after that.

01-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

My last SLR was a Minolta X-700, picking up my K10D with my collection of manual focus lenses is like old hat. You'll love it. My P&S digital camera feels like a toy now!

I do miss using some of my MD lenses (now all sold on Ebay), but I guess you can't have everything.
01-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Hey guys...

I'm new here. This is actually my 2nd post after lurking around here for a couple of months now. I really felt the need to get this LBA experience off my chest...

I...Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

Pentax-A 50mm/F1.7
Tokina 28-70mm/F3.5-4.5
Sigma 28-80mm/F3.5-4.5
Ozunon 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5
Pentax-A 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5
Vivitar 70-150mm/F3.8 w/matching 2x teleconverter
Vivitar 70-210mm/F4.5-5.6 Macro Focusing Zoom
Tokina SD 70-210mm/F4-5.6 Macro Zoom
Quantaray 70-300mm/F4.0-5.6 Macro Zoom (rebadged Sigma DG, non-APO)

The good news is that I finally got around to picking up that K100D. It hasn't gotten here yet, but I'll be sure to let you guys know when it does.

My advice, for what it's worth, one LBA-anonymous to another - get rid of all the zooms except one or two and get some more manual primes, preferably telephoto. The older Pentax glass can still be found relatively cheaply if you spend time looking (and get lucky), and they're just more fun, IMO. If you can find a SMC-M Pentax 135mm f3.5 you'll have a great time with it, very sharp, nice contrast, pretty small, solidly built. My copy's probably the 2nd sharpest lens I've ever used, after my Vivitar 105mm macro.

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything really expensive yet, like the limited primes, but I think I'm working up to that.

I've gone through a lot of crappy lenses on my way to the ones I'm holding on to now. If you rotate the inventory, you can stretch your LBA dollar and justify just about anything

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-25-2008 at 11:19 PM.
01-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yea I totally hear you. I've got so many repetitive lenses.

Especially my zooms.

got a 200 prime, cpc 70-200, vivitar70-205, smc A70-210,vivitar70-210. LoL

01-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Yea I totally hear you. I've got so many repetitive lenses.

Especially my zooms.

got a 200 prime, cpc 70-200, vivitar70-205, smc A70-210,vivitar70-210. LoL
I am one of the LBA cheapo champion, please see all the SOLD thread in marketplace or the current one that I am struggling to unload. Pete, I miss chatting with you. All the best, you are not alone, I feel for all my friends who go through this pain of obsessive buying. I wonder if other camps in C & N will be like this. Perhaps, their stuff is more expensive and it may be harder to indulge oneself for choices. We should encourage each other to stop buying the lesser quality gear and spend more time in photography -- where our passions should go.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-25-2008 at 11:56 PM.
01-26-2008, 05:38 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am one of the LBA cheapo champion, please see all the SOLD thread in marketplace or the current one that I am struggling to unload. Pete, I miss chatting with you. All the best, you are not alone, I feel for all my friends who go through this pain of obsessive buying. I wonder if other camps in C & N will be like this. Perhaps, their stuff is more expensive and it may be harder to indulge oneself for choices. We should encourage each other to stop buying the lesser quality gear and spend more time in photography -- where our passions should go.

Hin
heheheheh Hinman good move! Hit the addicts thread to get them to go to your adds. LOL I have been watching your Marketplace ads and have been tempted on some. I know how the addiction goes. This year was my first time to bow hunt and I took 3 deer. Now I find myself buying more and more bow equipment. Wife is getting pissed and now I started with the camera. before it was guns...it just never ends
01-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not falling for that trick....lol! Well, I guess I already have.

Once test some of them, I'll be able to get a handle on which zooms I want to keep. Then I can start unloading some inventory because I really don't want to lug 7-8 lenses around. Ideally, I'd keep the kit lens and maybe sell everything else off to fund a DA 50-200. I definitely the A 50mm/1.7 and maybe pick up a 105mm or 135mm prime. I would think those 4 lenses ought to do the trick.....at least until I learn all the features of the camera.

BTW Himman, your blog was one of the things that really got me motivated when I decided to pick up the K100D. I guess I have you to thank for this.
01-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

haha yea Hin's blog is great, lots of nice photos. Max, I got tons of old stuff but I find its hard to let them go..more so cuz of the sentimental value they've built up. Everyone of them has had some good history. Just have to rotate every once in a while haha.

I've improved of late..more like I'm broke cuz of LBA and McDonalds but I'm actually taking alot more photos now so its a good thing as opposed to trolling ebay etc.

Hey Hin, yea its been a while haha. How've you been? I've been on PentaxForums less now but I still drop by min. once a day to see whats been going on. Its like as if all the K-Mount Lenses have dried up and its time to really use what I've accumulated haha.

Oh Max, don't get too caught up with the LBA thing haha. What really matters is that you get out there and take photos!!
01-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's good advice, Pete....I'll be sure to heed it once the camera gets here.

Having never held the K100D in my hands, other than comparing to the K10D and the Canons in a local camera shop, I have zero experience with it. I'm looking forward to getting familiar with it and with all these lenses.
01-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I was really hoping to get another motorcycle this summer. The one I have is great for long distance rides but I think I 'need' a boulevard cruiser. A chopper of some sort.
I'm at two motorcycles now. A 1975 Honda CB400 Four and a Suzuki SV1000S K6. It's like lenses, you can never have too many
01-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

LBA is a disease. The only antidote is to be brutal and kill the sentimental thoughts that you somehow might need the older stuff and decide to go with nothing more than a minimalist set-up. No redundancy, no overlap. Rehabilitation is difficult but not impossible.

However there is also the phrase - "The only way to overcome temptation is to yield to it."
01-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I think I've made my decision to go with the Tamron 18-250 next and then maybe the Pentax 50mm F/1.4. I hope these will be good choices.

Then I'll try to make conservative decisions about the other lens choices after that.

Those are 2 great choices.