Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
So I guess when a seller on the PF marketplace says that a lens comes with an OEM rear cap, we'd have to take them at their word because it might actually be too hard to verify whether the cap is authentic Pentax-made or a cheap Chinese counterfeit/knock-off, right? It's one thing for people to be able to figure out the difference between a lens hood made in China compared to a genuine Pentax lens hood (e.g., how well it clicks into place and maybe the quality of the construction), but it's much harder to tell apart a small piece of plastic like a rear lens cap...
I have both and can NOT tell them apart. The materials look the same, the mold markings appear identical, etc. What is the functional difference? How can you say "cheap Chinese ounterfeit" when they are indistinguishable and Pentax no longer makes or sells them? I would understand if Pentax still made or sold them, but they do not. I'm getting cheap, thin plastic press on rear caps with my lenses from Pentax and I would rather have these more solid, twist on, caps to protect my valuable lenses.

07-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have both and can NOT tell them apart. The materials look the same, the mold markings appear identical, etc. What is the functional difference?
I agree. Originally I intended to keep them separate, but I couldn't tell which was which after the first lens change and there's no way I'd be able to sort them now.

How can you say "cheap Chinese counterfeit" when they are indistinguishable and Pentax no longer makes or sells them? I would understand if Pentax still made or sold them, but they do not. I'm getting cheap, thin plastic press on rear caps with my lenses from Pentax and I would rather have these more solid, twist on, caps to protect my valuable lenses.
I don't see a functional difference, nor any differences whatsoever. Pentax does supply the same cap style, but not with the lower cost lenses.
07-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I agree. Originally I intended to keep them separate, but I couldn't tell which was which after the first lens change and there's no way I'd be able to sort them now.

I don't see a functional difference, nor any differences whatsoever. Pentax does supply the same cap style, but not with the lower cost lenses.
I did not realize that, but the most expensive new Pentax lens I own is the 18-135 and it came with the cheap push on plastic rear cap. At what price point does a lens deserve a good rear cap anyway?
07-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ones I order look the same but say P/K in the center vs. the original ones that say Pentax Japan around the edge.

I also replace my Tamron and Sigma rear caps as soon as I can, those go back in the box.

07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Bot a bunch on ebay. China copies. Looks very real.

The rear end caps are great going on but came off hard. Like they had suction. Almost dropped a lens screwing round with it...trashed them.

The body caps would only go on if I pushed the lens button. I used a few of them, but not that happy with them.

Much prefer OEM caps at the much higher cost. But I got some $ to burn. If I was on a budget, would go the China cap route.
07-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I did not realize that, but the most expensive new Pentax lens I own is the 18-135 and it came with the cheap push on plastic rear cap. At what price point does a lens deserve a good rear cap anyway?
The companies are cheap bastards trying to suck down every penny.
07-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

Well, if Pentax caps are cheap China caps, they have a better China copy than the ebay sellers do.

07-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote

The rear end caps are great going on but came off hard. Like they had suction. Almost dropped a lens screwing round with it...trashed them.

The body caps would only go on if I pushed the lens button. I used a few of them, but not that happy with them.

Much prefer OEM caps at the much higher cost. But I got some $ to burn. If I was on a budget, would go the China cap route.
Sorry you had difficulties with them. However, that's not been my experience with them at all.
07-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Sorry you had difficulties with them. However, that's not been my experience with them at all.

The caps I'm talking about are the ones BH sels for $11 or so that they can't kep in stock. Love them. The look-a-likes on Ebay are not good ones. Maybe some other supplier on ebay has better ones. I only tired one, direct from China. I've tried the ebay rear lens caps on dozens of lenses...all the same...crappers.
07-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A few weeks ago I machined my first "push on" lens cap on the lathe, out of solid Acetal. I thought it would become loose with use, but so far it remains nice and tight. I think it is OK forever
I will put some photos up on 'homebrew lenses" some time.
07-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote

The caps I linked above and purchased are indistinguishable from Pentax caps, IME. Indistinguishable... as in no differences, none; no visible difference, no operational difference, no suction, no nothing. The same, in every way. I cannot tell which caps came with my Pentax lenses, which ones I paid $6.00 for from an established retailer, and which I bought for $0.68 each. Senor Beef was asking for a less expensive alternative, I feel confident recommending the above.
07-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
Pentaxian

the most expensive new Pentax lens I own is the 18-135 and it came with the cheap push on plastic rear cap.
Hmm, I bought a brand-new 18-135 from Amazon and it came with a regular twist-on Pentax rear cap. Then again, I bought a used DA 21 and it came with a cheap push-on plastic rear cap, so I was not very happy with that!

OK, I'll trust audiobomber, and if he thinks the caps are indistinguishable, I guess I'll have to buy them for myself and give it a try! Hey, for 68 cents each, it's worth a shot! Thanks, Audiobomber and Docrwm!
07-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hmm, I bought a brand-new 18-135 from Amazon and it came with a regular twist-on Pentax rear cap. Then again, I bought a used DA 21 and it came with a cheap push-on plastic rear cap, so I was not very happy with that!

OK, I'll trust audiobomber, and if he thinks the caps are indistinguishable, I guess I'll have to buy them for myself and give it a try! Hey, for 68 cents each, it's worth a shot! Thanks, Audiobomber and Docrwm!
That's weird. I haven't gotten a BNIB Pentax lens with anything but a push on cap. But for 68 cents the ones I have purchased have been great.
07-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

IIRC, the only lenses I've bought that had push-on caps were a couple of 18-55mm's. My 18-135 definitely came with a proper Pentax twist cap.
07-16-2012, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

So I guess when a seller on the PF marketplace says that a lens comes with an OEM rear cap, we'd have to take them at their word because it might actually be too hard to verify whether the cap is authentic Pentax-made or a cheap Chinese counterfeit/knock-off, right? It's one thing for people to be able to figure out the difference between a lens hood made in China compared to a genuine Pentax lens hood (e.g., how well it clicks into place and maybe the quality of the construction), but it's much harder to tell apart a small piece of plastic like a rear lens cap...
Dude... It's a lens cap.