Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Dude... It's a lens cap.
I know, I know, I'm totally anal about this. But as I said in another post, I wasn't that thrilled when I got a crappy push-on rear lens cap on my used DA 21mm. That nice lens deserves a regular twist-on cap, which is why I just ordered those eBay ones that Audiobomber recommended!

07-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Good thread, but now I feel like a fool, having just bought three genuine caps from B&H for like $30 to $35 bucks a couple weeks ago .... I can say that the genuine Pentax caps come in a nice little reusable green bag though.
07-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I know, I know, I'm totally anal about this. But as I said in another post, I wasn't that thrilled when I got a crappy push-on rear lens cap on my used DA 21mm. That nice lens deserves a regular twist-on cap, which is why I just ordered those eBay ones that Audiobomber recommended!
Oh sure... Push on caps admittedly suck. I don't get warped outta shape if a lens I buy comes with a push-on. I just replace it with a twist-on cap. They're cheap, and I have a bunch.

I've bought a ton of those cheap Pentax-branded eBay rear caps, and if they're fake, they're convincing ones. the generic twist-on eBay caps have been fine, too.

For front caps, I like these. Can't go wrong for a buck each. They come from China, so they take awhile to get here.
07-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

For front caps, I like these. Can't go wrong for a buck each. They come from China, so they take awhile to get here.
I bought that front cap for my 16-45. It's a cheap piece of junk. OTOH, I only use the cheap junk cap, because it is center pinch and can be removed and replaced with the hood in place, unlike the high quality, poorly designed, original cap.

07-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's a cheap piece of junk
How so? It locks onto the lens securely (at least on the lenses I use it on) & it protects the glass.
07-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

How so? It locks onto the lens securely (at least on the lenses I use it on) & it protects the glass.
I haven't been using the 16-45 much lately. My memory was that the cheap lens cap grips the lens rather loosely, but I just tried it again. It releases very easily but it's actually quite grippy if you don't touch the pinch points. I withdraw my comment about it being junk, but it is more cheaply constructed than Pentax pinch caps. The main thing is, it works, it's ridiculously inexpensive and is a more suitable design than the original cap for the 16-45.
07-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't been using the 16-45 much lately. My memory was that the cheap lens cap grips the lens rather loosely, but I just tried it again. It releases very easily but it's actually quite grippy if you don't touch the pinch points. I withdraw my comment about it being junk, but it is more cheaply constructed than Pentax pinch caps. The main thing is, it works, it's ridiculously inexpensive and is a more suitable design than the original cap for the 16-45.
That has been my experience as well. $10+- for a plastic lens cap that costs 10 cents to make is a bit much IMHO. I've averaged around $1.50 for the generic ones that I have and am just as happy with them. The only exception is the 70 Limited cap. Man, there are no substitutes out there at all. Fortunately, I found one on eBay from an Aussie seller and got it for about 40% (including shipping) of what it usually retails for here in the US. He apparently found it after he sold off his 70 and was well aware of its value but did a no reserve 99 cent to start auction.

07-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The only exception is the 70 Limited cap. Man, there are no substitutes out there at all.
No sub for the 10-17 fisheye cap, either. I'm mighty careful with that one. :-)
07-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I dislike screw caps. I use a Pentax 49mm pinch cap with my DA 15. I was using a film canister lid for my DA 40, but I was concerned that the friction fit of the film lid might erode the paint over time. I found a cheap pinch cap that fits. It pops out a little too readily, but I like it better than anything else I've tried.
07-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was using a film canister lid for my DA 40, but I was concerned that the friction fit of the film lid might erode the paint over time.
I would think the screw in cap would erode the paint on the threads more easily. I use a film canister lid also and I bevel the underside of the cap rim to make it easier to grip and pop off as it fits tight.