Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #1

pentax 1000mm f/8 and takumar 1000mm f/8

I found a pentax 1000 f/8 on ebay. And I noticed that there is also a takumar mc version. Which one is better? Does someone own this giant monster?

07-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the mount really matters, but I'd get the K-mount version personally. This thing is huge, though, and by modern standards it will exhibit a lot of flare. Better to get a shorter AF lens, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think the mount really matters, but I'd get the K-mount version personally. This thing is huge, though, and by modern standards it will exhibit a lot of flare. Better to get a shorter AF lens, IMO.
Thx, Adam. Any idea about the price? I checked previous threads. Some one said around 800-1000$, but others said 200$ for a tele-takumar. Not sure if they were referring to the same lens.
07-16-2012, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

in the reviews the K mount has gone for 12-1400 (the one on ebay looks in exc shape so may well hit the price)

Taks go cheaper 800 give or take , but not all are equal there are smc and non smc versions in take

a 500 4.5 smc tak will cost about the same and a TC will give similar range at about the same f stop but be a more flexible lens. there are several 500 4.5 on ebay right now

07-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Flare is not the big problem, you need a very sturdy tripod and head to get vibration under control, then you see the serious purple fringing.
I posted some shots of this lens and two other 1000mm mirrors some years ago, that topic should still be around somewhere.
07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Flare is not the big problem, you need a very sturdy tripod and head to get vibration under control, then you see the serious purple fringing.
I posted some shots of this lens and two other 1000mm mirrors some years ago, that topic should still be around somewhere.
I saw some samples. Purple fringing when high contrast. And the resolution of the image is like what you see from a telescope. Haven't seen any nice shots yet, apart from some full moon shots.
07-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

@dadipentak needs to weigh in on this one. . . .
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have the K1000/8 and as previously mentioned I would go with the newer K-mount version, as it will have the better SMC coating on all elements. Besides a proper tripod, the other thing to note is the minimum focusing distance, its 30 meters (100 feet).

Also the further away your subject is you will have atmospheric conditions affecting your shots, I only have used this lens on film and this is more of an issue that purple fringing. Haze, water reflections and heat waves are tough to get ride of even when using a UV filter, results are better with b&w film and a stronger orange/red filter.

It looks like the one on eBay, located in Canada, has the sight broken off? That would be a show stopper for me.

Pentax SMC 1000mm f/8.0 - Massive Lens - in Original Case | eBay

Phil.