Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

How vulnerable to rain are old Pentax M and Pentax A lenses?

Last night there was a rather strange storm - it was almost 90 degrees in Las Vegas when suddenly freezing rain and marble sized hail stones started falling. I wanted to go out and record some video of this odd event, but the only weather sealed lens I have is my 18-55WR, which turned out to be too slow to get bright enough video. I thought about switching to my Pentax-M 50 1.7, but with no weather sealing, I was afraid.

I wonder - those lenses are built realy well - does the tightness of their construction give them some protection, or will they become flooded and damaged during rain?

Is there also a risk that water would get in the camera near the sensor, since the camera itself doesn't have any sort of seal near the mount, but instead relies on the weather resistance of the lens?

07-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are a number of wprkaropunds to be safe,

Gaffer tape at the body lens intersection will protect the body (but make aperture adjustm,ent tough on m/k lenses)
wrap the lens in saran wrap and attach at the front with a filter will also protect it in extreme conditions.

Or pick up a DA*55 of course

I've shot with old lenses in the rain most of my life, but am far more careful now with the digital camera body because of all the electronics,
a plastic bag over the whole thing works as well
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had problems doing something like that back in the 70s with a fast fifty - learned that plastic bags are cheap and work really well for short periods.
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Use an umbrella. This will also let you change lenses in the field.

I took photographs with M lenses on my LX under all kinds of conditions.

07-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for an umbrella, my assistant (wife) holds it while I shoot away.

Phil
07-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Use an umbrella
See my link to another thread where this came up

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/190005-beaut...ml#post2005374
07-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SenorBeef Quote
I wonder - those lenses are built realy well - does the tightness of their construction give them some protection, or will they become flooded and damaged during rain?
Yes, the construction does help and yes, you can use a plastic bag. An umbrella has been my solution of choice for tripod work and an oversize rain garment (camera inside jacket except when shooting) when hand-holding.

Steve

(...lives in the land of rain...has no WR lenses...)

07-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And it would probably have been ok with no protection too. I recently used my A100/4 macro in enough rain to be completely drenched myself, no protection except pointing the lens down when not taking a picture. The focusing part got wet of course, but nothing inside the mount. The front lens got a few small drops too, a hood would have been good. (The 50s have the front elements much more exposed, so a lens like that would definitely have gotten wet enough to give bad pictures.)

Not that I want you to blame me when you ruin your camera or anything, but people are more afraid of water than they need to be.
07-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
an oversize rain garment (camera inside jacket except when shooting)
Not recommended for street shooting in certain parts!
07-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
See my link to another thread where this came up
You caught Scotland just the way I've always found it!