Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #1

Zoom lens Focus adjustement

I have a problem with Tamron 17-50 2.8 on K5 where it needs -3 adjustment at 50mm, -1 at 35mm and +5 at 17mm.

This was tested with focus test chart, daylight, tripod, SR off etc etc...

If i leave AF adjustment off, nothing is in perfect focus at 100% view at any aperture and if i adjust for perfect focus at 50mm back focusing at 17mm becomes severe.

Is this reparable if i send it in?

07-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote

Is this reparable if i send it in?
The lens or the camera?

Tried averaging the correction?
07-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that many newer zooms change the focal length as part of the zooming process, therefore it is not optically he same glass at 5 meters and infinity

Aosn note that at a distance, camera shake can have you focusing on foreground as opposed tonthe subject itself. Do you do this on a tripod or hand held?
07-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

That's interesting because I just completed a series of focus tests last week with this exact lens on my K20D and using the LensAlign focus tool. I tested at the same focal lengths as you....17, 35 and 50mm....and I tested at distances of both 25x and 50x focal length (I always test at -1 stop from wide-open). What I got back was consistently +8 to +10 adjustments. I did a few other lenses and came back with anywhere from +6 to +10 on all lenses. My conclusion, at least with *my* K20D, is that AF adjustment is more about correcting the camera body than individual lenses.

07-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
That's interesting because I just completed a series of focus tests last week with this exact lens on my K20D and using the LensAlign focus tool. I tested at the same focal lengths as you....17, 35 and 50mm....and I tested at distances of both 25x and 50x focal length (I always test at -1 stop from wide-open). What I got back was consistently +8 to +10 adjustments. I did a few other lenses and came back with anywhere from +6 to +10 on all lenses. My conclusion, at least with *my* K20D, is that AF adjustment is more about correcting the camera body than individual lenses.
I think there are two things here, I agree, that there can be an overall body error, and your data suggests about + 8 would be a good setting and you may wish to set it to that. not sure on the K20 whether it jhas one or multiple settings, but the K7 and K5 have options for single settings or multiple, if you had this situation on either of those bodies, i would set the camera to +9 and then modify specific lenses between +6 and +10 as needed, the general setting would apply any time the camera did not have a specific lens it recognized as being set differently.
07-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Answer about sending it in - ...To an extent, a factory calibration will help. I had same issue with Tammy 70-200/2.8 and used the warranty to request calibration. When it came back the adjustments required for 70, 135 and 200mm were much, much closer and I was able to settle on a single AF micro-adjustment at 135mm that keeps the focus within a typical range for any focal length at f2.8.

Yes, if in warranty its a no brainer to try. If not warranty, your call based on cost.
07-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Answer about sending it in - ...To an extent, a factory calibration will help. I had same issue with Tammy 70-200/2.8 and used the warranty to request calibration. When it came back the adjustments required for 70, 135 and 200mm were much, much closer and I was able to settle on a single AF micro-adjustment at 135mm that keeps the focus within a typical range for any focal length at f2.8.

Yes, if in warranty its a no brainer to try. If not warranty, your call based on cost.
thanks

thats what i needed to know

since it is under warranty off it goes for calibration

ps i dont have problems with other lenses