Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone compare Pentax 'Soft' vs. Sears 'Macro'?

Not too long ago I acquired a Takumar Bayonet 135mm f/2.5, wanting to try out the 135mm prime focal length, and was happy with the results. I prefer it when I can control aperture through the body though, and in the 135mm manual focus category there isn't a lot to choose from. I have another interest that could be fulfilled at the same time, though. The made-in-Korea (Samyang, perhaps?) Sears 135mm 'Macro' f/2.8 (available both in K-mount and KAR-mount) has an effect somewhat similar to the Pentax 'Soft' lenses when you engage the 'Macro' mode. Doesn't make for a great macro lens, but that's ok, I already have some excellent true macro lenses.

I just removed the Ricoh pin (not a mere rounded contact but a true pin), and initial tests with the Sears are good, and I'll probably part with the Takumar Bayonet. Resolution on the Sears looks good in non-'macro' mode, and in 'macro', sure enough, very dreamy. I realize Pentax doesn't have an equivalent focal length in a 'soft' lens (85mm f/2.2 Soft, F 85mm f/2.8 Soft, FA 28mm f/2.8 Soft, and FA 85mm f/2.8 Soft), but has anyone with the Sears and one of those Pentax lenses done a shootout? I'm really curious how they compare.

07-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
If anyone in southern MA/RI area has a Pentax 'Soft' lens and is up for it, we could get together and do an informal shoot-out sometime. PM me if interested.