Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #1

Problem with Adaptall 2 mount.

just got an adaptall 2 P/KA mount from a guy here in the forums to use with this Tamron 90mm 2.5 SP lens.. But when I attach the adapter to the camera, The LCD/viewfinder just flash F--- I thought this was supposed to work with this mount.

What am I doing wrong?

P.S. I refuses to shoot as well, and I've tried all the settings I can think of.

Last edited by DarkSideofOZ; 01-25-2008 at 07:45 PM.
01-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First, the adaptall mount must be locked on the lens properly. Next, the aperature ring on the lens must be locked to AE. If you are getting the F-- message then you either have a problem with one of the above listed issues or you have a bad P/KA adapter (the first two are much more likely).

Oh, by the way, I have the same lens with the P/KA adapter and its super sharp
01-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
The lens and mount are connected perfectly.

Though, the problem I think may be the connectors on the mount.. I can click the shutter control with the mount off and it captures an image, though as soon as I attache the adapter (with or without lens), the camera ceases to respond to the shutter release button.
01-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found that the adaptall 2 mount for PK/A is a little flakey.

if you are not careful you have a tendancy to disengage the little tynes that pick up the electrical apature coupling and take the camera out of AE mode.

I have also found some that have the screws holding the mount together internally come apart.

My feeling is that the lenses never seem to fit quite right, the K mount seems much more solid. I guess it is because there is less in the K mount coupling

01-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have had similar problems and have been able to remedy the situation by twisting the lens gently against the mounts while it is attached to the camera until the f-stop displays on the top lcd. There seems to be some issue with the electrical connection on the mount.

As for the locked shutter release...Did you remember:

1. switch to manual focus
2. aperture ring locked in the "A" position (f/32)

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-25-2008 at 09:07 PM.
01-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
Aparently it was the contacts, when I push up on the lense it started working... here is my first Macro shot with this lens, my roomates teenage daughters Eye...

I think I love this lens

01-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

There is a potential problem with a thin film on one or more of the electrical contacts on the PK/A adapter... I had one that I thought was defective, but found a thread on the 'net that said to examine the contacts on the adapter, and using a small knife, scrape any that seem to be coated with anything (Re: How to fix bad Tamron KA mount: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review). Did that, and the mount started working just fine. Though it is sensitive to alignment - if I push up on the lens body, contact can be broken resulting in the 'f--' display. I have a number of Tamron Adaptall lenses - the 90/2.5, 17/3.5, 60~300/4~5.6 zoom, and some others, and they are great lenses on the K10D!
01-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
dan,
i'm glad you got it working. the mount is a little intimidating when you first start using it.. i'm still a little slow at getting it correct.. a bigger problem is setting it up with the matched TCs.. if you need some help, you have my email addy, and also my phone number , just ask.. what's the model number of the lens??
also, if you got it from me, please don't list me as ''from a guy here in the forums'' my name is Roy, not ''from a guy here in the forums''... if you are disappointed i'll refund all the $$ including the return shipping.. that's how i sell anything.. even on ebay

the not ''from a guy here in the forums''
roy

Last edited by roy; 01-25-2008 at 10:27 PM.
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #9

That's an incredible picture!! I love the color and detail in the iris.

So many lenses, so little time (and money!)

Steve
01-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
dan,
i'm glad you got it working. the mount is a little intimidating when you first start using it.. i'm still a little slow at getting it correct.. a bigger problem is setting it up with the matched TCs.. if you need some help, you have my email addy, and also my phone number , just ask.. what's the model number of the lens??
also, if you got it from me, please don't list me as ''from a guy here in the forums'' my name is Roy, not ''from a guy here in the forums''... if you are disappointed i'll refund all the $$ including the return shipping.. that's how i sell anything.. even on ebay

the not ''from a guy here in the forums''
roy
lol, I'm kinda new to the forums, I didn't know everyone would know you by Roy, I appologize.
01-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slick100d Quote
That's an incredible picture!! I love the color and detail in the iris.

So many lenses, so little time (and money!)

Steve
i agree , it's a stunning shot..

dan, have you gotten the A setting to work?? this can be difficult at first..
02-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have had similar problems and have been able to remedy the situation by twisting the lens gently against the mounts while it is attached to the camera until the f-stop displays on the top lcd.
Try the fix as described in the "Fixing Tamron Adaptall P/KA Adapter" article (same idea as suggested by MNCurt-K10D). I hope it will work for you.