Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
will they offer you an alternate shipping method like usps (my preferred actually from the US, because it is Canada post at this end and always better)

07-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow! That's some serious impact damage!!! That is abuse, plain and simple. For a box to "accordion" like that requires a huge amount of force!!!!
07-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You can refuse a shipment if it`s damaged badly, the forwarder has to take it back to the sender and explain why.
Next time (if there is) don`t accept the shipment in the first place. Take some pics of the damaged box and let the UPS-guy take it back. He/she can/must note the reason of your refusal into their system, make sure he/she does. If these were send from the same location it`s just a matter of time before they find out what (or who) caused these damages. The sender is also not gonna like this, this is bad advertising and I think they wanna get this solved also.

Maybe throw in a couple of formal complaints to stir things up
07-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Amazon has the worst packing I've seen. The lens box is loose in the shipping box with 1 or 2 air bags thrown in. While I've never had a shipping carton look like that, I don't think you came blame it all on UPS - when the shipping box is not packed properly (20% product and packaging and 80% open air) the box is going to get crushed like that during shipping/handling.
I understand what you are saying, however I would hasten to point out that the first box was not from Amazon and was packaged with LOTS of peanuts and no airbags at all. The first one did not look as bad but the lens was DOA in that one where the second that looked worse had a lens that was less damaged. I can, and do, blame UPS.

07-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
You can refuse a shipment if it`s damaged badly, the forwarder has to take it back to the sender and explain why.
Next time (if there is) don`t accept the shipment in the first place. Take some pics of the damaged box and let the UPS-guy take it back. He/she can/must note the reason of your refusal into their system, make sure he/she does. If these were send from the same location it`s just a matter of time before they find out what (or who) caused these damages. The sender is also not gonna like this, this is bad advertising and I think they wanna get this solved also.

Maybe throw in a couple of formal complaints to stir things up
Yes, I have instructed the receptionist not to accept delivery on anything that looks open or damaged again. I also filed a review of packaging on Amazon's website with more photos than just those I posted here, including the equally damaged interior box (seriously, it was torn all along the front of the box AND crushed too).
07-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Amazon has the worst packing I've seen. The lens box is loose in the shipping box with 1 or 2 air bags thrown in.
I had two lenses arrive that way from Amazon. The box looked fine from outside but it was pretty disconcerting when I opened it and found the two lens boxes just flopping around inside with nothing keeping them from banging against each other. The already less than adequate air bags where deflated, on top of it all. Both lenses I received performed well so, no harm no foul I guess. I won't be ordering more lenses from Amazon though. I have no confidence in them understanding the delicate care that transporting a precision lens requires. Adorama and BH have been much better about packaging.
07-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The Tamron 70-200/2.8 is a big and heavy lens.
A level of packaging that's adequate for a smaller, lighter lens
may not be sufficient to protect the Tamron.
07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The Tamron 70-200/2.8 is a big and heavy lens.
A level of packaging that's adequate for a smaller, lighter lens
may not be sufficient to protect the Tamron.
Very true, I got a used Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 SP that had been dropped so hard the metal lens cap was wedged into the front threads and the focus didn't turn. (ups also) I did manage to force the focus back to where it would work and pry out the lens cap, but I wasn't happy about it. I rank usps best, followed by ups and fed-ex last in my experience. ( my local ups guy is top notch though)

07-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I've had postal employees tell me to NEVER put fragile stickers on anything. Those things are like targets when they get sorted and loaded for delivery.
07-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I've had postal employees tell me to NEVER put fragile stickers on anything. Those things are like targets when they get sorted and loaded for delivery.
The box was not marked fragile. I think Amazon knows what we know in that regard.
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Sorry you have had such bad experience.

My practice is to always photographically document "the unboxing", Here is my process:
  • If the shipping box shows signs of abuse and/or damage, I document all six side of the box, otherwise just a general view
  • Immediately after opening the top, I photograph the contents as visible from the top
  • I remove the contents and photograph both the contents and the packing material along with the shipping box
  • I then document each phase right down to the naked item itself with a emphasis on showing any evidence of crushing, tearing, or water damage
If the item is damaged and the shipping box is a mess, the shipping company is liable. If the shipping box is in good shape and the item is damaged, the shipper is liable.

Out of curiosity, were these boxes left on your front porch by any chance? We have had some problems in my neighborhood with people tampering with packages left by UPS and FedEx.

Steve
07-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
( my local ups guy is top notch though)
Oh, but the delivery- or the pickup guy isn`t usally the problem, the problem lays within the gathering and distributing centers. I have been to a distributing center a couple of times, bringing a last minute package after the daily pickup was allready gone...they have the policy "when finished you can go home" so at the end of the day all those daily drivers rush to get their trucks empty. They used a forklift to load the heavier packages onto the transportbelt where the lighter packages allready have been dropped and they push it up with the forklift to make more room fast for the next guy....and that`s where your lens is, between wooden boxes upto 70kgs

This was a few years ago with a local center of UPS, not sure if they improved those crude methods now. Since then I have never ever worked with UPS again.
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry you have had such bad experience.

My practice is to always photographically document "the unboxing", Here is my process:
  • If the shipping box shows signs of abuse and/or damage, I document all six side of the box, otherwise just a general view
  • Immediately after opening the top, I photograph the contents as visible from the top
  • I remove the contents and photograph both the contents and the packing material along with the shipping box
  • I then document each phase right down to the naked item itself with a emphasis on showing any evidence of crushing, tearing, or water damage
If the item is damaged and the shipping box is a mess, the shipping company is liable. If the shipping box is in good shape and the item is damaged, the shipper is liable.

Out of curiosity, were these boxes left on your front porch by any chance? We have had some problems in my neighborhood with people tampering with packages left by UPS and FedEx.

Steve
Thanks. I did everything but the naked item step because the rest was so incredibly terrible. No, the package was left with the receptionist by the UPS driver while I was busy.
07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Good point but it was domestic from Amazon.
-Robert
Still, packages get screened somehow, at least to my understanding. Iím only guessing but it can start from tripping a metal detector and routed through an X-Ray then, who knows from there? Probably the worst part is after it clears physical inspection and all ďcrudely taped upĒ the package is now in transport with poor protection.

Amazon has the worst packing I've seen. The lens box is loose in the shipping box with 1 or 2 air bags thrown in. While I've never had a shipping carton look like that, I don't think you came blame it all on UPS - when the shipping box is not packed properly (20% product and packaging and 80% open air) the box is going to get crushed like that during shipping/handling.
Iíve received a poorly packaged item from B&H once. I bought a brand new Tamron 17-50. Lens came in original B&H box in perfect condition but the way the lens was packed inside didnít really offer any padded protection other than the lensí original box itself. The lens was all the way on one side while one huge airbag fills the other side. The naturally heavy lens side of the box was always on the bottom. I donít think it was the reason for it but unfortunately that Tammy went back due to severe de-centering issue.
07-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Thought I would share pics of the K-5 kit I received in March of this year.

I was pretty bummed, after spending all that time trying to decide whether to pull the trigger, and this busted box shows up. The kit box was inside the shipping box, right against the corner, of course. In one photo you can see the empty space inside of the K-5 kit box, where the body normally sits. If you look closely you can see the impression left behind by the strap lug, where it broke through the first layer of cardboard inside of the box. Also, although the body was wrapped in a thin bubble wrap bag, the bubble wrap was flattened along that side of the body. I didn't even bother to power the camera up.

The merchant filed a claim with UPS, after which I was told to return the damaged goods back to the merchant. The merchant prepaid for the shipping and it was hassle-free overall, but it still took a week to sort out. I sometimes wonder what happened to the kit I returned -- I would hope the merchant (who presumably got reimbursed for the full value by UPS) would not have sold it to someone else as "new".

Since then, I have bought (OMG) a boatload of additional gear from two of the major Pentax retailers, including 7 new lenses and a video camera, and in every case, the expensive contents were packed right against the side of the shipping box, with the bubble packs filling up the rest of the empty space. You know how thin the OEM Pentax boxes are! So I check the lenses out very carefully. So far I haven't seen any damage. Just a couple millimeters of front- and back- focus which I've been able to correct, so I chalk that up to normal manufacturing tolerances.

But I really, really wish that Pentax and/or its authorized retailers would just add a little more packaging all around the expensive goods, not just use bubble packs as a way to fill up the extra space in the box. If there were an option to pay for better packaging, I would gladly do so.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX X90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX X90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX X90  Photo