Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Two in a row, this week. Makes me wonder......
Ok, so it happens to others too. I had this issue when I attempted to purchase the DA* 300 from another seller than amazon. I gave up after three shipping attempts - the first two packages had minor damage but I found issues with the lens - the third one came teared like yours and I did not accept delivery.

The only common point with your story seems to be UPS. And I think we are lucky when the package is actually damaged - with packages that are only slightly damaged, if you don't carefully check the condition of the lens, you can miss damage.

07-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
I really appreciate the ease of dealing with Amazon. Here is what has happened:

Contacted them to arrange a return. They immediately generated a RMS for me and arranged UPS pickup at my location for tomorrow.

They had a CS rep contact me within a couple of hours and ask how they could fix this mess.

This is the reply that I got to my response that I would like a replacement and that I was hoping to use it this weekend:
"I'm sorry to hear about the condition in which your Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens arrived. We make every attempt to package items securely to protect them during shipping, but sometimes damage does occur.

We always appreciate customer input on how we can improve our store, and I've forwarded your message to our shipping department.

To make it right for you, I've created a new replacement order for you and upgraded it to next day delivery at no additional charge
07-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Ok, so it happens to others too. I had this issue when I attempted to purchase the DA* 300 from another seller than amazon. I gave up after three shipping attempts - the first two packages had minor damage but I found issues with the lens - the third one came teared like yours and I did not accept delivery.

The only common point with your story seems to be UPS. And I think we are lucky when the package is actually damaged - with packages that are only slightly damaged, if you don't carefully check the condition of the lens, you can miss damage.
Yes, it happens to others too. This is the first time I have had lenses arrive in damaged packaging, and I have received a few The first ones ever and both in the same week? Perhaps it was better that the damage was clear and extreme so I didn't mess with wondering later.

Sorry about your issues with the 300.
07-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
This is the first time I have had lenses arrive in damaged packaging, and I have received a few
I had one earlier incident with a Russian lens - the Jupiter 11A. The seller had pics showing it in perfect shape with its metallic hood by the side. He made one mistake though - when he packaged and screwed the hood in reverse, he just did it half-way through. In transit, the package must have suffered a serious shock - being dropped from the plane might do it, I guess - the result was that the hood got pushed all the way on one side, over the threads, while the other side was still half way screwed. It turned out to be impossible to separate the threads, but luckily, the hood was formed of two pieces - a ring and a cylinder, and I could unscrew those after banging the lens on cement:



These Russian lenses have military grade build. I still can't imagine what shock could have pushed the hood over the threads like that - the outer packaging didn't show any special signs, although the inside showed an imprint of the lens case in one corner . The seller refunded me the money, so it all points to another shipping issue. I get a picture of people playing some sport with our packages somewhere in transit.

To end the story, that Jupiter 11 got pretty messed up - focusing is very rough, but surprisingly, the optics did not get damaged despite all my banging - I got some good shots with it and I still keep it.

Good luck with the Tamron! Let's hope the third time works for you.

07-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,352
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The seller refunded me the money, so it all points to another shipping issue. I get a picture of people playing some sport with our packages somewhere in transit.

I got some good shots with it and I still keep it.
The seller refunded you and you kept it and use it?
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
UPS came by during lunch to pick up the package. Receptionist said the driver would not look at her and was in and out without a word. Hmmm.
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
The seller refunded you and you kept it and use it?
Yes. Seller refunded me and didn't ask for me to send it back. Then I started banging it around (had nothing to lose) and managed to loosen the hood cylinder so I could use it. But the strange part is that I next received another lens from the same seller that I had not purchased - he said he made a mistake and told me to keep that one too. I felt weird about it and I sent him a payment for that one.
07-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,852
The shipping box is designed and intended to absorb reasonable mishaps in shipping. the lens box is also designed to act as a damage barrier and to aid in marketing. If no damage was suffered by the lens, everything worked as designed. Go enjoy the lens and be thankful the lens wasn't harmed. Or was it collector quality boxes you really wanted?

Consider this: The cost of shipping insurance would be prohibitive if these containers weren't sacrificial items.

H2

07-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
The shipping box is designed and intended to absorb reasonable mishaps in shipping. the lens box is also designed to act as a damage barrier and to aid in marketing. If no damage was suffered by the lens, everything worked as designed. Go enjoy the lens and be thankful the lens wasn't harmed. Or was it collector quality boxes you really wanted?

Consider this: The cost of shipping insurance would be prohibitive if these containers weren't sacrificial items.

H2
Very strange take on it IMHO. As I said in the text, the first lens was DOA and the second was decentered. Lenses are not designed to take multiple slams that would be required to accordion TWO corrugated boxes nested inside each other.
07-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
Re: "air bags":

Virtually every package I've received with those worthless air bags have had the contents banging around on the inside after the bags deflated in transit. Bubble wrap is better, but it can deflate, too.

People think wadded newspaper is lousy packing material, but it's actually one of the best materials if you pack it good and tight. That's the big secret for packing anything. Leave a good buffer zone between the inner and outer box and pack the space between tightly. If you can pick up your package and shake the hell out of it and not hear or feel anything move at all inside, it should be good to go.
07-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Re: "air bags":

Virtually every package I've received with those worthless air bags have had the contents banging around on the inside after the bags deflated in transit. Bubble wrap is better, but it can deflate, too.

People think wadded newspaper is lousy packing material, but it's actually one of the best materials if you pack it good and tight. That's the big secret for packing anything. Leave a good buffer zone between the inner and outer box and pack the space between tightly. If you can pick up your package and shake the hell out of it and not hear or feel anything move at all inside, it should be good to go.
It's also an excellent insulator. That may not strike people as that important but for lenses being FLOWN to their destination in a cargo hold where temperatures can go from the ground temperature wherever the plane took off to 10 degrees very quickly. With a good insulator the temperature experienced by the lens will not fluctuate rapidly but adjust over time more slowly.
07-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #42
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
lenses being FLOWN to their destination in a cargo hold where temperatures can go from the ground temperature wherever the plane took off to 10 degrees very quickly.
A reason to specify ground shipping?

BTW, temperatures at 35,000 feet are typically 60 degrees below.
07-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #43
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
A reason to specify ground shipping?

BTW, temperatures at 35,000 feet are typically 60 degrees below.
Exhaust gases are diverted in most airliners to warm the cargo holds so that things don't freeze to the point that plastics would become brittle (like those used in suitcases, etc.).
07-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Exhaust gases are diverted in most airliners to warm the cargo holds so that things don't freeze to the point that plastics would become brittle (like those used in suitcases, etc.).
Do you know how the temperature is regulated in the shipping companies' cargo planes?
07-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Do you know how the temperature is regulated in the shipping companies' cargo planes?
That is less obviously available publicly because they are not regulated in quite the same way as passenger carriers. I believe that they also try to keep temps above critical freezing temperatures so that chemical alteration of materials doesn't occur due to the extreme temperature but am not as certain. Some information on the web seems to indicate that the majority of their holds are warmer than the lower rear holds in the passenger carriers planes and more akin to the temperatures experienced in the lower forward holds of those planes.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
box, boxes, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Full Frame Dream Crushed Today LFLee Pentax Full Frame 946 01-04-2013 09:07 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax AF200T Flash with original box FREE Shipping (CONUS) yyyzzz Sold Items 2 11-28-2011 10:41 PM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL Lens in Box -- Free Shipping wallyb Sold Items 2 02-15-2009 08:14 PM
Pentax K200D kit on Amazon $536 with free shipping after rebate (gold box trick) amirko Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 06-30-2008 05:06 AM
My Dream of a K20D, crushed..... Mr Hyde Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 04-10-2008 02:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top