Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Box crushed in shipping - would you keep the lens?

This is getting old. I have now had two Tamron 70-200/2.8 lenses shipped to me via UPS arrive in seriously crushed boxes.

Both had been opened and "resealed" in transit. Each had the inner box also opened and crushed. The second inner box was torn, crushed, and in pretty bad shape. The first lens was not recognized by either of my cameras and they treated it like a manual lens. It would not AF obviously and was returned.

Of course the lenses are in the Tamron padded bag inside the boxes but how much abuse of the boxes would it take for you to be unwilling to take a chance on the lens?


Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
07-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
I've had packages arrive in worse condition that have been just fine. Why send it back if they do work? It's not necessarily the seller's fault actually. UPS, Fedexp, the PO, they routinely pile packages on each other to ship them in the cargo area of planes and trucks, pretty much stuff them in there till the look like the container will burst. They're supposed to watch for fragile things but they're all lousy at it. Open it up. See if there's a problem. If there is send it back and that way your seller can claim the insurance and you can get paid back or get a new one sent. But if they work then it doesn't really matter what the box looks like. There is something going on with shipping lenses though. I don't know if it's a security machine scanning issue or what I've had to reship a couple of packages with lenses in them recently. One went 3 times before it didn't come back. They kept opening them up and sending them back to me with no real explanation. USPS and UPS both. I haven't had any problem with Fedexp as yet but then I haven't really used them much for gear, only dolls.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.
07-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
TedH42's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 475
Were these "drop shipped" from Mars? That's some impressive destruction.
07-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,332
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Were these "drop shipped" from Mars? That's some impressive destruction.
I agree...that looks intentional

07-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
Gotta say I've never had a box show up that bad and I've had lenses shipped from Russia, Japan, India etc. On a brand new item like you are getting i'd be inclined to document it, open the box and have a look at the lens, but if the lens box itself shows this kind of damage I'd be inclined to ask for a replacement, for an expensive zoom, where a bad shock could decenter it I'd be more concerned than an SMC tak 200 I won for $15 from japan lol
07-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,625
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Gotta say I've never had a box show up that bad and I've had lenses shipped from Russia, Japan, India etc. On a brand new item like you are getting i'd be inclined to document it, open the box and have a look at the lens, but if the lens box itself shows this kind of damage I'd be inclined to ask for a replacement, for an expensive zoom, where a bad shock could decenter it I'd be more concerned than an SMC tak 200 I won for $15 from japan lol
Agreed - document and test the lens. Although, be sure you know how to do your testing.
07-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
The first lens was DOA so it was an easy decision. The second works but the right side at close focus is not sharp like the rest of the frame. It's scheduled for pickup tomorrow.

The other box was just as bad as this one. I am beginning to wonder if its intentional by someone at the distribution center locally.
07-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
Definitely that second lens sounds a little de-centered then
Usually you only see this kind of beating on boxes clearly marked in big red labels this side up FRAGILE
I get big and small shipments at work from all the couriers daily and in 5 years have only had 1 shipment show up this bad

07-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Definitely that second lens sounds a little de-centered then
Usually you only see this kind of beating on boxes clearly marked in big red labels this side up FRAGILE
I get big and small shipments at work from all the couriers daily and in 5 years have only had 1 shipment show up this bad
Two in a row, this week. Makes me wonder......
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
Beat-up box is a bad sign if/when you eventually sell the lens. I'd send it back.
07-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
K57XR's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 823
I'm not sure where the your lens is being shipped from (Domestic/International) but what may also be happening is something in the screening process is prompting the "inspectors" to open the box. Could be as simple as the shape of the lens under X-Ray makes it appear as a "suspicious" material. Then the box itself is "very well packaged" by the seller and frustrates who ever it is who's trying to open it and just rips apart. Once it's cleared they don't bother (they NEVER do) pack it back correctly and simply tapes around it. Either way I would send it back.

Last edited by K57XR; 07-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I'm not sure where the your lens is being shipped from (Domestic/International) but what may also be happening is something in the screening process is prompting the "inspectors" to open the box. Could be as simple as the shape of the lens under X-Ray makes it appear as a "suspicious" material. Then the box itself is "very well packaged" by the seller and frustrates who ever it is who's trying to open it and just rips apart. Once it's cleared they don't bother (they NEVER do) pack it back correctly and simply tapes around it. Either way I would send it back.
Good point but it was domestic from Amazon.
-Robert
07-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,703
If it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight . . .
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Amazon has the worst packing I've seen. The lens box is loose in the shipping box with 1 or 2 air bags thrown in. While I've never had a shipping carton look like that, I don't think you came blame it all on UPS - when the shipping box is not packed properly (20% product and packaging and 80% open air) the box is going to get crushed like that during shipping/handling.
07-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Amazon has the worst packing I've seen. The lens box is loose in the shipping box with 1 or 2 air bags thrown in. While I've never had a shipping carton look like that, I don't think you came blame it all on UPS - when the shipping box is not packed properly (20% product and packaging and 80% open air) the box is going to get crushed like that during shipping/handling.
I get a lot of items with that air balloon packing shipped from grand and toy etc at work, but it's never a long haul delivery. never ever had one of those boxes show up anywhere near this.
it really is like they opened it to see what it is then didn't bother resealing it properly
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
box, boxes, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Full Frame Dream Crushed Today LFLee Pentax Full Frame 946 01-04-2013 09:07 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax AF200T Flash with original box FREE Shipping (CONUS) yyyzzz Sold Items 2 11-28-2011 10:41 PM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL Lens in Box -- Free Shipping wallyb Sold Items 2 02-15-2009 08:14 PM
Pentax K200D kit on Amazon $536 with free shipping after rebate (gold box trick) amirko Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 06-30-2008 05:06 AM
My Dream of a K20D, crushed..... Mr Hyde Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 04-10-2008 02:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top