Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Box crushed in shipping - would you keep the lens?

This is getting old. I have now had two Tamron 70-200/2.8 lenses shipped to me via UPS arrive in seriously crushed boxes.

Both had been opened and "resealed" in transit. Each had the inner box also opened and crushed. The second inner box was torn, crushed, and in pretty bad shape. The first lens was not recognized by either of my cameras and they treated it like a manual lens. It would not AF obviously and was returned.

Of course the lenses are in the Tamron padded bag inside the boxes but how much abuse of the boxes would it take for you to be unwilling to take a chance on the lens?

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
07-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had packages arrive in worse condition that have been just fine. Why send it back if they do work? It's not necessarily the seller's fault actually. UPS, Fedexp, the PO, they routinely pile packages on each other to ship them in the cargo area of planes and trucks, pretty much stuff them in there till the look like the container will burst. They're supposed to watch for fragile things but they're all lousy at it. Open it up. See if there's a problem. If there is send it back and that way your seller can claim the insurance and you can get paid back or get a new one sent. But if they work then it doesn't really matter what the box looks like. There is something going on with shipping lenses though. I don't know if it's a security machine scanning issue or what I've had to reship a couple of packages with lenses in them recently. One went 3 times before it didn't come back. They kept opening them up and sending them back to me with no real explanation. USPS and UPS both. I haven't had any problem with Fedexp as yet but then I haven't really used them much for gear, only dolls.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.
07-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Were these "drop shipped" from Mars? That's some impressive destruction.
07-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Were these "drop shipped" from Mars? That's some impressive destruction.
I agree...that looks intentional

07-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Gotta say I've never had a box show up that bad and I've had lenses shipped from Russia, Japan, India etc. On a brand new item like you are getting i'd be inclined to document it, open the box and have a look at the lens, but if the lens box itself shows this kind of damage I'd be inclined to ask for a replacement, for an expensive zoom, where a bad shock could decenter it I'd be more concerned than an SMC tak 200 I won for $15 from japan lol
07-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Gotta say I've never had a box show up that bad and I've had lenses shipped from Russia, Japan, India etc. On a brand new item like you are getting i'd be inclined to document it, open the box and have a look at the lens, but if the lens box itself shows this kind of damage I'd be inclined to ask for a replacement, for an expensive zoom, where a bad shock could decenter it I'd be more concerned than an SMC tak 200 I won for $15 from japan lol
Agreed - document and test the lens. Although, be sure you know how to do your testing.
07-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The first lens was DOA so it was an easy decision. The second works but the right side at close focus is not sharp like the rest of the frame. It's scheduled for pickup tomorrow.

The other box was just as bad as this one. I am beginning to wonder if its intentional by someone at the distribution center locally.

07-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Definitely that second lens sounds a little de-centered then
Usually you only see this kind of beating on boxes clearly marked in big red labels this side up FRAGILE
I get big and small shipments at work from all the couriers daily and in 5 years have only had 1 shipment show up this bad
07-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Definitely that second lens sounds a little de-centered then
Usually you only see this kind of beating on boxes clearly marked in big red labels this side up FRAGILE
I get big and small shipments at work from all the couriers daily and in 5 years have only had 1 shipment show up this bad
Two in a row, this week. Makes me wonder......
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Beat-up box is a bad sign if/when you eventually sell the lens. I'd send it back.
07-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm not sure where the your lens is being shipped from (Domestic/International) but what may also be happening is something in the screening process is prompting the "inspectors" to open the box. Could be as simple as the shape of the lens under X-Ray makes it appear as a "suspicious" material. Then the box itself is "very well packaged" by the seller and frustrates who ever it is who's trying to open it and just rips apart. Once it's cleared they don't bother (they NEVER do) pack it back correctly and simply tapes around it. Either way I would send it back.

Last edited by K57XR; 07-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I'm not sure where the your lens is being shipped from (Domestic/International) but what may also be happening is something in the screening process is prompting the "inspectors" to open the box. Could be as simple as the shape of the lens under X-Ray makes it appear as a "suspicious" material. Then the box itself is "very well packaged" by the seller and frustrates who ever it is who's trying to open it and just rips apart. Once it's cleared they don't bother (they NEVER do) pack it back correctly and simply tapes around it. Either way I would send it back.
Good point but it was domestic from Amazon.
-Robert
07-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight . . .
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Amazon has the worst packing I've seen. The lens box is loose in the shipping box with 1 or 2 air bags thrown in. While I've never had a shipping carton look like that, I don't think you came blame it all on UPS - when the shipping box is not packed properly (20% product and packaging and 80% open air) the box is going to get crushed like that during shipping/handling.
07-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Amazon has the worst packing I've seen. The lens box is loose in the shipping box with 1 or 2 air bags thrown in. While I've never had a shipping carton look like that, I don't think you came blame it all on UPS - when the shipping box is not packed properly (20% product and packaging and 80% open air) the box is going to get crushed like that during shipping/handling.
I get a lot of items with that air balloon packing shipped from grand and toy etc at work, but it's never a long haul delivery. never ever had one of those boxes show up anywhere near this.
it really is like they opened it to see what it is then didn't bother resealing it properly