Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Banned

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

In a worst-case scenario, also based on price and availability, I was thinking of going less wide to the Sigma 28 1.8, as some say it's quite sharp, especially compared to the 24. True, it's not that small, but I"m tapped out here.

07-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you aware that on the marketplace there is a Sigma Super-WIde AF 24mm 2.8 for $250 i think
07-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
are you aware that on the marketplace there is a Sigma Super-WIde AF 24mm 2.8 for $250 i think
I'm not in the US and don't do paypal.
07-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I can get a lightly used, still under warranty x100 for about 700 or less.
This is the route that I took, not only because I wanted a fast 23mm (35mm) focal length, but I also wanted a more compact camera to accompany my K5. All of the options mentioned above sound great and I'm sure they perform well, but I wanted a small fast normal focal length for more candid shots....which is hard to do if the lens is massive. The camera itself is gorgeous, nice to have the shutter/aperture dials. It performs very well at higher ISO's, is crazy quiet, and is a lot of fun to use. I still shoot my Pentax system for most occasions but the X100 is great to take on a street walk or to the bar w/ friends. Plus while it isn't a 1:1, the macro feature is pretty handy. It is quirky as I'm sure you have read and the autofocus isn't lightning fast but it has worked for me. If you are looking to catch fast action you probably won't be using a 23mm-24mm focal length anyway. If you buy a grey market one make sure that it is still under warranty or it has a new lens, as you could encounter "sticky" aperture blades which need replacing.....I did.

I wish Pentax would come out with a 23mm f/2 DA Ltd pancake lens the size of the 40mm Ltd...while I love the 21mm Ltd it is a bit too wide/slow for some situations. In fact I was hoping the K-01 would be similar to the X100/X-Pro 1, and rangefinder style that I could use my pancake Ltd's....but anyway. That would be my suggestion.

Here is a few photos with my X100 if you care to take a look. Fuji X100 - a set on Flickr

Good luck on your hunt!

07-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
According to published tests the Samyang gives better IQ then either the ZK 25/2.8 or FA*24/2.
07-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
This is the route that I took, not only because I wanted a fast 23mm (35mm) focal length, but I also wanted a more compact camera to accompany my K5. All of the options mentioned above sound great and I'm sure they perform well, but I wanted a small fast normal focal length for more candid shots....which is hard to do if the lens is massive. The camera itself is gorgeous, nice to have the shutter/aperture dials. It performs very well at higher ISO's, is crazy quiet, and is a lot of fun to use. I still shoot my Pentax system for most occasions but the X100 is great to take on a street walk or to the bar w/ friends. Plus while it isn't a 1:1, the macro feature is pretty handy. It is quirky as I'm sure you have read and the autofocus isn't lightning fast but it has worked for me. If you are looking to catch fast action you probably won't be using a 23mm-24mm focal length anyway. If you buy a grey market one make sure that it is still under warranty or it has a new lens, as you could encounter "sticky" aperture blades which need replacing.....I did.

I wish Pentax would come out with a 23mm f/2 DA Ltd pancake lens the size of the 40mm Ltd...while I love the 21mm Ltd it is a bit too wide/slow for some situations. In fact I was hoping the K-01 would be similar to the X100/X-Pro 1, and rangefinder style that I could use my pancake Ltd's....but anyway. That would be my suggestion.

Here is a few photos with my X100 if you care to take a look. Fuji X100 - a set on Flickr

Good luck on your hunt!
Thanks, I really, really wish Pentax would make faster lenses on the wide end. My widest lens right now is an FA35, which I love dearly, but I do need something wider. DA21 is not fast enough, though close, I guess. DA15 is too slow, then a whole bunch of things in between, all mostly very slow. Meanwhile, some of the APS pancakes for MILC are already there with fast, wider lenses, or they are built on.

With a used X100, since I'm in the EU, warranties transfer for two years, which is why I mentioned that above. I'm not a huge bokeh fan, preferring slightly weaker bokeh, but it's nice that it has an ND filter so I can get it during the day.
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
According to published tests the Samyang gives better IQ then either the ZK 25/2.8 or FA*24/2.
Where are these tests?

That's nice and all, but I'd prefer something a bit smaller, with AF, even at the sacrifice of speed. The Samyang appears to be huge.

07-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
According to published tests the Samyang gives better IQ then . . . the ZK 25/2.8.
So does the Tamron, as I made clear in my post.
But that is only from the standpoint of measured resolution
and geometric distortion.
The quality of the images from the ZK 25/2.8
is far superior to those from the Tamron,
which are flat and "digital," even after creative PP.
I also like the K24/2.8 rendering better than the Tamron.
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Where are these tests?
Optyczne/Lenstip has tested the Samyang.
07-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I have the manual focus version of the Sigma 24 2.8 and I think it's a great lens image quality wise, but there are some metering anomalies. If you can get past that, for less than $100 its a great deal.
07-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Where are these tests?

That's nice and all, but I'd prefer something a bit smaller, with AF, even at the sacrifice of speed. The Samyang appears to be huge.

Check out photozone. If you want small, the Sigma24/2.8 is a decent and cheap lens.
07-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I had a Sigma 28/1.8, and it was just too big for me. The 30/1.4 is better, heavy but not as long. That is a nice sharp lens, although not as wide as you want. The Vivitar 24/2 I had was so soft at f/2 that you couldn't really use it for normal shooting, but it was really sharp stopped down. If you can find on with an "A" setting, that'd be a good choice. So too with the Vivitar 28mm Close Focus f/2 lenses, and much better wide open. But those are manual.

I like the 24mm focal length a lot, and the one I have kept is the Sigma AF Super Wide. Not a perfect lens , but does a lot well. IQ is especially nice close up. I felt like it was a better lens for me than the DA21mm Limited.
07-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
See, also I would even consider the Sigma 20 1.8 if I was going for that with the size factor, but the reviews are not so kind about it, it seems.
07-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #29
Banned

Original Poster
Here's a reasonably fast, manual 24:

SOLIGOR Weitwinkel Objektiv 24 mm 1:2.5 Pentax-K PK | eBay

The soligor 24 2.5 However, unless I missed it or it went under a different name, I don't see this particular model in the reviews area.

I also have seen Kirin fast 24s, but the reviews seem to be plagued with oil on blades and other mechanical problems.
07-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #30

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Interesting thread. I picked up a Sigma Super Wide II f2.8 last year and before that a Nikkor 24 f2.8 Ai lens converted to K-mount by one of the members. It's a good length although I don't use it near enough. I'm more fond of the Sigma as it's AF and the Nikkor is, well, manual everything. The only thing on the Sigma is the cheep clip on hood that comes with it. To know it is to loath it.
I just wanted to chime in, as someone who really likes my Sigma Super Wide II AF. For me it was perfect to fill in the gap between my 15/4 and 35/2. I would strongly recommend anyone buying this lens to work out a better lens hood situation (especially since flare control is a major limitation). I use a metal hood designed for 28/2.8, accessed by step down rings, but I know even that is a bit cautious on APS-C.