Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #31
Banned

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
I just wanted to chime in, as someone who really likes my Sigma Super Wide II AF. For me it was perfect to fill in the gap between my 15/4 and 35/2. I would strongly recommend anyone buying this lens to work out a better lens hood situation (especially since flare control is a major limitation). I use a metal hood designed for 28/2.8, accessed by step down rings, but I know even that is a bit cautious on APS-C.
Why is that?

07-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think he means that even on APSC, it might still vignette (stepping down from 52 to 49mm filter thread). Personally I doubt it.

Another vote for the Sigma 24mm Superwide II here. OK it's not that fast, but at least it's super sharp wide open, probably at least as sharp as some of those faster lenses stopped down to f2.8. And it's compact.
07-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
Actually, I meant the opposite -- you away with a 35/2.8 hood (if you could find such a thing), and probably even 35/2 hood given how cautious the original lens hood designers were, themselves.

On the other hand, old metal hoods for 28/2.8 are fairly easy to find, and the step-down rings are quite inexpensive.
07-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #34
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Here's a reasonably fast, manual 24:

SOLIGOR Weitwinkel Objektiv 24 mm 1:2.5 Pentax-K PK | eBay

The soligor 24 2.5 However, unless I missed it or it went under a different name, I don't see this particular model in the reviews area.

I also have seen Kirin fast 24s, but the reviews seem to be plagued with oil on blades and other mechanical problems.

So I decided to pick one of these up on fleabay. Found one for 54 euros shipped. Seems in ok condition from the pics. We'll see. Not too much known about this particular variant, but I saw a few words about it on non-pentax sites. However, for 54 euros in good shape it's worth a shot. There is a Kiron 24 f2, but as mentioned, it's 3-5x as expensive and supposedly has issues quite often.

We'll see how this works. It could help for those off-occasions when I'm looking for wider city shots and I'm hoping it's relatively sharp.