Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #1

Mamiya Sekor pin?

Just wondering if there's a pin on the mamiya sekor (m42) lenses?

Was trying 2 mamiya sekor this morning and ready to buy any of the 2 but i can't get it to lock/fit on my K5 (with the m42 adapter). Been using the adapter with my other m42 lenses so this definitely is not the problem...

It seems that there's something that's keeping both lenses to fully rotate on the lock position...

Anyway here are the 2 (m42) lenses:
Mamiya Sekor (Chrome) 55mm 1.8
Mamiya Sekor (Black) 50mm 2

Thanks in advance

07-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Mamiya SX lenses ?
Then there is a compatibiliy problem with the aperture ring.
07-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Forum Member

The M42 Mamiya lenses had a pin on the aperture ring outside the mount which coupled to the camera. That's probably causing the problem.

Ronnie
07-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
The M42 Mamiya lenses had a pin on the aperture ring outside the mount which coupled to the camera. That's probably causing the problem.

Ronnie
That should read "Some of the M42 Mamiya Lenses..."

The SX models have a hardware coupler to compatible Mamiya bodies that causes problems when adapting to K-mount cameras. Auto-Mamiya Sekor (non-SX) are standard auto-aperture M42 screw mount and very nicely compatible with all K-mount cameras.

Steve

07-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

SX-series needs two mods:

1) Get rid of the pin.
2) File down the overhanging aperture ring so the lens can be mounted flush.
07-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That should read "Some of the M42 Mamiya Lenses..."

The SX models have a hardware coupler to compatible Mamiya bodies that causes problems when adapting to K-mount cameras. Auto-Mamiya Sekor (non-SX) are standard auto-aperture M42 screw mount and very nicely compatible with all K-mount cameras.

Steve
Ok, thanks for the correction. :-) It should have read "All the Mamiya M42 lenses I've ever seen..." :-)

Ronnie
07-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
Ok, thanks for the correction. :-) It should have read "All the Mamiya M42 lenses I've ever seen..." :-)

Ronnie
I am really not a know-it-all, but misconceptions quite quickly become fact on the Internet and it would be a shame for all M/S lenses (most of which are quite good) to be cast as incompatible in much the same way that all Rikenons have come to bear the stigma of the Ricoh pin!

Steve

07-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

All m42 Rikenons and Mamiya/Sekors can be used with a little work, some more than others. Many are worth it. I've got a weird optical problem with my M/S SX 55 1.5 -- not sure if it is particular to that lens or just my copy.
07-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
All m42 Rikenons and Mamiya/Sekors can be used with a little work, some more than others. Many are worth it. I've got a weird optical problem with my M/S SX 55 1.5 -- not sure if it is particular to that lens or just my copy.
What is the "little work", aside from requiring an M42 adapter? Except for requiring an adapter, M42 lenses from these two makers are about as vanilla as they get. That is, with the exception of the M/S SX series.

What I was referring to above is the periodic inquiry where some poor soul is wanting to snip the "dangerous" Ricoh pin off their M42 Auto Rikenon.

Steve
07-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What is the "little work", aside from requiring an M42 adapter?
A) Removing pin if necessary (only necessary if it is an actual pin, not a button).

B) Filing down the aperture ring on M/S SXs, as described above.
07-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
A) Removing pin if necessary (only necessary if it is an actual pin, not a button).

B) Filing down the aperture ring on M/S SXs, as described above.
And the offending pin is only found on the M/S SX lenses. There are no incompatible M42 Rikenons.
07-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

And the offending pin is only found on the M/S SX lenses. There are no incompatible M42 Rikenons.
Right. Yes, of course -- the pin is on K-mounts.
07-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
Forum Member

I am really not a know-it-all <snip>
Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I genuinely have only ever seen the ones with the pin so didn't know about the others.

Sorry !

Ronnie
07-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.
Do we have any pictures on where actually is this pin? can't find it...
Is it easier to file or to remove this Pin?

But before I commit myself on this Pin, is it really worth it? Is it an amazing lens? if its just ordinary then i'll not bother... (I someone here can vouch any of the 2 lenses then i might as well try it out...

Thanks in advance
07-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.
Do we have any pictures on where actually is this pin? can't find it...
Is it easier to file or to remove this Pin?

But before I commit myself on this Pin, is it really worth it? Is it an amazing lens? if its just ordinary then i'll not bother... (I someone here can vouch any of the 2 lenses then i might as well try it out...

Thanks in advance
If it is not an SX, it probably doesn't have a pin. I've just yanked them out with needle-nose pilers rather than disassembling anything -- takes two seconds -- shears right off. Some might find that reckless. Do at your own risk.

If it is an SX, the FAR bigger pain is filing down the aperture ring so it is flush. That's a decent amount of work...