Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 50 f/1.4 - to repair or not?

I recently acquired excellent copy of the FA 50 f/1.4. It's sharp from f/1.4 on with less glowiness than my A 50 f/1.4. I absolutely love it. Having owned both the M and A 50 f/1.4, as well as the FA & F 50 f/1.7, I can confidently say that this is a very nice, sharp copy of the lens. In the right light, results are difficult to distinguish from the FA 77 limited. But there's a problem. It won't focus to infinity. It will only go to about 30-35 feet. Even stopped down to f/5.6, it's still out of focus at infinity. I know that this can be fixed, but here is my question: Is there any chance that whatever makes this such an outstanding copy of the lens is dependent on its miscalibration? Has anyone else experienced a great lens reduced to good by an adjustment?

Thanks for your input.

07-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

You could contact Eric H. and see if he will take a look at it and give you an estimate. If it is a good copy, I would consider having it CLA'd if it wasn't cost prohibitive. C.R.I.S. is another option but price may be an issue there plus they can be sloooooow.
07-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You could contact Eric H. and see if he will take a look at it and give you an estimate. If it is a good copy, I would consider having it CLA'd if it wasn't cost prohibitive. C.R.I.S. is another option but price may be an issue there plus they can be sloooooow.
I contacted Eric, and he said he could adjust it. I didn't ask for a quote, but I anticipate it would be a manageable price, based on previous work he's done. CRIS would probably be cost-prohibitive, based on estimates they've given me in the past. I'm just afraid of ruining the "pixie dust" the lens seems to have right now. Aside from the infinity-focus problem, the lens is nearly flawless. I don't even see any dust inside.
07-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am reminded of Hawthorne's story "The Birthmark." Anyway if the lens is really very special at moderately close distances I don't believe anyone can say "for sure" it isn't going to change when the infinity focus is obtained--after all non-macro lenses are adjusted/designed to do best at infinity and likely you are aware some lenses do noticeably better close (typically macros) or some at far distances.