Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Banned

Soligor 24mm f2.5: Any Info On This Lens?

I decided to gamble a bit and found one for 54 euros, despite the fact that there's extremely limited information out there on it. I got the idea about Soligor being a west German company that imported lenses from different sources.

Does anyone have this 2.5 variant?

Here's an example ebay ad of what the lens is and looks like: SOLIGOR Weitwinkel Objektiv 24 mm 1:2.5 Pentax-K PK | eBay

07-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This topic over on the Manual Focus Lens site is titled "Soligor 1:2.8 f=28mm -- 21 Versions:" but it soon wandered off into the general area of identifying various Soligors and who made what ?

Soligor 1:2.8 f=28mm -- 21+ Versions

I would say yours is made by Sun, according to the best information on the serial numbers. I've got a few Soligors now and like them all, but the only Sun ones I have are long ones, my short / wide ones are Tokina and Komine.
07-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks, that was one of the sites I checked out before I bought the lens. That site (and thread) also do not have any references to the 24 2.5 outside this one: Quick comparison: Tokina 12-24/4 vs Soligor 24/2.5 Nothing more than that, unfortunately.
07-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
Got my lens and it was apparently barely (if at all) used. I'll post pics when I get a chance to use it, but it's a rather nice piece. A bit soft at 2.5, but acceptably sharp at 2.8 and beyond. So far, bokeh, naturally, isn't strong, but the quality of it seems ok thus far.

07-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I look forward to seeing the results, I'm a big of fan of Soligor, and your lens is one I haven't come across before.
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Got my lens and it was apparently barely (if at all) used. I'll post pics when I get a chance to use it, but it's a rather nice piece. A bit soft at 2.5, but acceptably sharp at 2.8 and beyond. So far, bokeh, naturally, isn't strong, but the quality of it seems ok thus far.
The soligor lens you have shown here looks like one of my Auto Chinon lens 24/2.5, except mine is m42 mount. The Chinon lens is rumoured to be made by Kodak with Tomioka design (many other similar lens were claimed). Mine is very nice indeed, sharp enough at wide-open, stopped down to f2.8 is even better. At f4 it is very easy to achieve focus because of the focal length; color rendition and bokeh equally good.
07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Do you have photos of yours to post?
07-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Do you have photos of yours to post?
Here it is: 2 Chinon MF lenses, the 55/1.4 is identical to ones also found with Tomioka on the name ring. The focus ring on the 24/2.5 looks similar to your Soligor 24/2.5 k mount.

Attached Images

07-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

here is one taken with the chinon MC 24/2.5 at f4.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The soligor lens you have shown here looks like one of my Auto Chinon lens 24/2.5, except mine is m42 mount. The Chinon lens is rumoured to be made by Kodak with Tomioka design (many other similar lens were claimed). Mine is very nice indeed, sharp enough at wide-open, stopped down to f2.8 is even better. At f4 it is very easy to achieve focus because of the focal length; color rendition and bokeh equally good.
mmmmmmm..........I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's more from the Elsinor ( Clubman - Tefnon and others ) family that use the symmetric red diamond. None of my Chinons have that, but all the Elsinors do.
But....the whole area of who made what for who is somewhat of a mystery.
07-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
This shots are highly flawed and I intended to remember the aperture settings, but forgot. I think they were relatively wide, around 2.8. I find barely a difference between 2.5 and 2.8, but for some reason, I think 2.5 is massively softer, but I can't completely confirm. I definitely need more time with this lens to understand how to work it. However, one thing I noted was that it seems to reproduce blue skies almost too vividly.

Also, I've got some examples of shots (which I can't post due to requests not to), where the lens is very, very revealing in terms of skin textures and features.

Shot 2 has heavy vignetting on the left due to a fence. Didn't realize a portion was still there.

So far, I'm finding it usable. I won't state more than that because I need more use. By comparison, the M85 was instant as a manual keeper and something of a love affair.

These are not quality shots to really evaluate much, but over the coming days, I'll add more to it.

The build quality is excellent, however, as it appears the lens was never even so much as mounted.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by snake; 07-29-2012 at 01:55 PM.
08-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
If anyone is interested, I took some shots at each f-stop with this lens to display what it can do. Maybe I should have been a bit better technically with the handling of it between shots, but it's probably representative; soft to very soft up to f4, then very sharp at 5.6

These are the raw files if anyone wants to play and see how they turn up for such things as CA and PF and any other parameters.

https://i.minus.com/1344455368/ixwzNitw8SsIDJ9ORvRjFA/dqipyfEb4un1E/soligor%202.5.rar