Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by touchmyichi Quote
the brand new FA 50 1.4, its sort of amazing.
Now that is interesting...My local Fry's (Dallas, TX) doesn't carry any Pentax gear, at least they didn't as of about 3 weeks ago. That's one heck of a deal.

01-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by bdann Quote
Now that is interesting...My local Fry's (Dallas, TX) doesn't carry any Pentax gear, at least they didn't as of about 3 weeks ago. That's one heck of a deal.
think most of the frys are sold out on this lens by now, and actually when it was available, the price was 72, that is the price i got mine at
01-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
I have the standard kit lens that came with my k100, and a few months back I purchased the 77 Limited 1.8 and absolutely love it. I use it mainly for indoor basketball pictures.

But, I am finding that it is a bit too long in some instances, outside of basketball pictures, so I am looking for another low-light lens for wider shots.

I am considering the 50mm 1.4 AF lens that gets rave reviews, but I'm not sure that is wide enough for standard indoor shots in a "regular room"

Any other suggestions to look into?

Given the information you have provided, if I were in your shoes I would purchase the DA 40mm f/2.8 limited lens. Google the reviews of this lens. I personally don't have it, but If I were looking for a prime a little wider than 50mm, this is what I would get.
01-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Where is the FA 50/1.4 selling for $90? I haven't found one that cheap yet, otherwise I'd be all over it. I just bought the F 50/1.7 for $115.

01-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #20
CWL

FA 50mm f/1.4 is good, but the 43mm ltd is even better in terms of IQ, focal length, built, and size. I sold my 50mm after I got the 43mm. However, for indoor use, 43mm is still not wide enough IMO. There are many indoor situations where you would like wideer focal lengths. For example, I tried to take a photo of my girlfriend who was sitting at the opposite side of the table (a square table which can serve upto 4 people comfortably), and a plate of desert in front of her. By sitting there with the 43mm ltd, I can only fit just one of them(desert or GF) into the frame. I cannot shoot both without standup from the chair and one step back from the table. So IMO, if $$ is not a concern, I would pickup either the 31mm ltd or the Zeiss 28mm f/2 Distagon (but it's MF only). If under budget, then FA 35mm f/2 is the best. The Sigma 30mm F1.4 has some critiques about its weak border quality even after stopped down.