Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You really don't even have to spend on a new K5 body. My wife and I did a wedding with my K10 and her K100 and it turned out well. I bounced the flash off of walls and ceilings, using my sigma 17-70.
no, it isn't an exceptional lens but the 17-70 range is really handy for groups in close spaces.
use the less expensive body for flash, and the k5 for low light and outdoors

bounced from wall and ceiling, sigma dg 500 super and k10

just food for thought

good luck

thanks

randy

07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I would go with the two bodies if you don't want to be changing lenses out. I have done it before and you get used to it pretty quick. Of course, the other alternative is to get quick at switching out lenses. There are carrying systems designed with quick lens change out in mind just as there are for carrying two bodies. That is where i am now, because the k5's performance is so much better thanthe k20s. I do think that after being used to the 16-50 and 50-135 you would feel disappointed by the other lens options out there. And you don't know when or even if that 2013 DA* will happen...
07-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

As others have said : two bodies. No way one is enough for a wedding anyway (in case of breakdown or damage). Just buy a Kx, if you can't afford another K5, for now.

The 16-50 and 50-135 are your tools (with the 50/1.4 tucked away in your pocket in case you need it).
07-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Twofer's?

Hello Tafzal,
If you can't find the perfect "all-in-one" lens (and I doubt you will, 2 bodies are the next best option.
The 2nd body doesn't have to be a high-end DSLR like the K-5. A used K-R would do (or K-7) with a short prime tele (85mm-100mm) for the head shots, "one or two" people.
These are often the most interesting candids, especially if PP'ed in black + white.
For the fast-moving, groups and stock shots, the 16-50mm is fine. Then you switch and pick out the details with the tele.
The flash would stay on the K-5/16-50, the tele would be wide-open and available light, adjust the ISO for shutter speed.
One around your neck, the other over-the shoulder.
I use a similar combo for many group events, works great!
JMO,
Ron

07-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter

One lens is simply not enough to shoot a wedding to professional standards, and you can't waste time swapping lenses on a single body.
Buy. Another. Body.
07-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #21
Inactive Account

18-250 pentex lens

Hello,

I'm shooting at a gymnastic club for my first time :-) I'm not getting the experation on the peoples faces I've got the motions and speed right what else do I need to do? my setting are f.6 iso is 600 and my -+is +3. Looking for some more advice. I was also using my 60 to 250 lens.

Thanks Leah
07-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thank you again for some real good advice. I think I'll start using two lenses. Second body is a good idea as back up but would like to wait until the year end to see what gets announced.

By not getting expressions in Gymnast shoot, do you mean the faces are blurred? If so, what shutter speed are you ending up with? It could be that with +3 compensation, and 600 ISO is not that high, you are ending up with slow shutter speed and therfore blurred faces. For someone running across you, I think you would need at least 1/400th sec.
07-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tafzal Quote
Thank you again for some real good advice. I think I'll start using two lenses. Second body is a good idea as back up but would like to wait until the year end to see what gets announced.
Tafzal. One of the reasons people say you should have (at least) two bodies for a wedding is that it is totally irresponsible for a wedding tog to have only one camera, should the worst happen and you have a camera breakdown, or there be accidental damage, then you are unable to continue - how would the bride and groom react to losing their wedding tog on one of the most important days of their life ?

Same actually applies to lenses (it one fails do you have an adequate lens to cover a similar range) ? There may only be a remote chance of this happening but it has happened (even to wedding shooters on here) and you are the one taking the gamble. It doesn't have to be an expensive back-up body but you should have redundancy just in case, to ensure you can continue shooting.

07-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
but you should have redundancy just in case, to ensure you can continue shooting.
Backup body, flash, lenses, batteries, memory cards, backup shooter if you can swing it. No do overs in weddings. I have been involved in a wedding when things did not go right for the photographer, more as an interested bystander than the photographer but I got to see first hand how normally reasonable and sensible people can go totally nuts when something goes wrong with their wedding pictures. If you are getting paid then there is no excuse not to have everything covered.
07-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #25
Site Supporter

I totally echo the sentiments above. I have had my K-5 freeze up early in a concert shoot. If I didn't have my ageing K10D (and a K-01 for that matter) as back-up I would have looked pretty foolish. Neither camera is anywhere near as capable as the K-5, but they are both a hell of a lot better than nothing. I also always carry a couple of fast primes in case a HSM/SDM zoom fails.
07-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yes, back up lenses are a good idea. That is why I carry a huge bag of gear with me, I may not always used it, but it goes with just in case. Don't forget to back up your flash too...while we're on the backup game. As far as things going wrong I have had memory card failure - in the middle of a ceremony. Instead of wasting my time trying to figure out in a 20 min ceremony what was happening, I just grabbed the preloaded k20 and began shooting. So another reason for a second body. And as far as memory cards go, no more all eggs in one basket for me! The failed card was a 32 with everything from getting ready to portraits to ceremony on it. Now I use separate cards for each part of the day.
07-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Yes, back up lenses are a good idea. That is why I carry a huge bag of gear with me, I may not always used it, but it goes with just in case. Don't forget to back up your flash too...while we're on the backup game. As far as things going wrong I have had memory card failure - in the middle of a ceremony. Instead of wasting my time trying to figure out in a 20 min ceremony what was happening, I just grabbed the preloaded k20 and began shooting. So another reason for a second body. And as far as memory cards go, no more all eggs in one basket for me! The failed card was a 32 with everything from getting ready to portraits to ceremony on it. Now I use separate cards for each part of the day.
On the memory card issue, this is one that I read about a lot. One card used for the entire vacation, shoot, game, whatever that when people get home is damaged, corrupted, etc. I love gadgets and faster this and that but I have 8gb and 16gb cards for my cameras so that I swap them out at convenient points in the day. I love the D-BG4 because it has a place for an extra SD card but I try to have 2 extras no matter what (unless I forget and then the grip saves the day). They're cheap, even for the top of the line, these days at that size and if the card fails you haven't lost everything.
07-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #28

Original Poster
Very sound advice about having a back up for all the gear. If someone trusts you with recording of their important event, you owe it to them to be prepared irrespective of whether you are being paid or doing it as a favor. As I do photography as a hobby, budget is somewhat limited.So I carry a compact as a backup ! I started this thread because, even though I do it as a hobby, I do want to take the best pictures I can. Hence the query about he best lens to use.

Thank you all very much.
07-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tafzal Quote
Very sound advice about having a back up for all the gear. If someone trusts you with recording of their important event, you owe it to them to be prepared irrespective of whether you are being paid or doing it as a favor. As I do photography as a hobby, budget is somewhat limited.So I carry a compact as a backup ! I started this thread because, even though I do it as a hobby, I do want to take the best pictures I can. Hence the query about he best lens to use.

Thank you all very much.
Well, I do think you have the best zoom lenses for shooting events! It is a really nice set up you have.

To increase sapped in changing lenses a lot of event shooters carry a lens bag. It eliminates having to go back to your main gear to get the other lens and it provides you with somewhere to put the lenses as you are changing out, so it just makes the whole lens changing thing faster. With only two extra lenses as your standard event kit, this wouldnt be that heavy and it could be done with a small camera bag. you may be doing this already and still not find it fast enough, but if not it could help.