Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Perhaps a way to constantly use a new lens...

So I've just received my new Chinon 200mm f3.5, with the M42 mount, and I'm very pleased. I go down to my nearest camera shop, and buy an adapter for K mount. It cost me 3 times the lens price, at £30

I run home, put the lens with the adapter on my camera, and when I take it off again, the adapter is stuck

It's a great lens, but it's just so bloody massively heavy… compared to my dinky little M 135mm f3.5, it's huge. But anyways, a little story I'd like to share.

Got any other photography related mini stories of hell?

Gil

07-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

If it's a flangeless (i.e. it's thin enough to permit infinity focus) M42 to K-mount adapter, it's designed to lock into the K-mount, and you just need to release it at the right point with your fingernail or a pen tip and turn it (some third-party flangeless adapters come with tools to do the releasing part).

Historically this made a lot of sense back in the 1970s when people had large collections of M42 lenses and wanted an easy way to use a K-mount body with all their lenses. A bit less convenient these days if you have only one M42 lens (this is partly why I don't have any M42 lenses - I typically only shoot with one body, and already have a lot of K, KA, and KAF lenses).

Only one story from me - 20 years ago I was on a trip with my parents in Washington, D.C. and my 70-210mm Focal (K-Mart store brand) lens fell apart while I was using it. Some tiny screws fell out and it stopped focussing the way it should (barrel wouldn't stop turning). My dad bought me a nice Tokina to replace it a few months later. The Tokina still works great! Otherwise I've been very lucky (and careful) all these years.
07-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gilsouthwood Quote
So I've just received my new Chinon 200mm f3.5, with the M42 mount, and I'm very pleased. I go down to my nearest camera shop, and buy an adapter for K mount. It cost me 3 times the lens price, at £30

I run home, put the lens with the adapter on my camera, and when I take it off again, the adapter is stuck

It's a great lens, but it's just so bloody massively heavy… compared to my dinky little M 135mm f3.5, it's huge. But anyways, a little story I'd like to share.

Got any other photography related mini stories of hell?

Gil
You can remove the metal locking piece and then the adapter should stay on the lens
07-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For adapters, I use SRB Griturn. Their adapters are every bit as good as OEM ones and only £15-95

M42 lenses on Pentax K

They're a very good company to deal with, fast and good quality.

I've just bought a Chinon MC300 5.6 in a job lot of M42 lenses and it's rapidly becoming my favorite long lens. Chinon made some very average stuff, but they made some very good stuff as well. Persevere with the 200, it might be a gem ?

07-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My horror story: I took only a K1000 and a Sakar 28mm lens on my honeymoon to Italy. On taking it out after the flight, I find the lens is jammed with the aperture stopped down all the time. Ugh! I was amazed to find a camera store in Venice with one single Pentax lens - an M 28mm f/3.5. It wasn't even that expensive, and I got what I felt were fantastic pictures. The K1000 is long gone, but the M28 is one lens I won't sell.
07-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gilsouthwood Quote
It cost me 3 times the lens price, at £30
Are you joking?
I'm using one like this Pentax M42 screw lens to PK K Adapter Infinity focus For K10D KX KM K7 K5 | eBay

It costs 6 or 7 US dollars delivered. It permits infinity focus and it comes with the tool that helps to mount it on the camera.
07-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #7

I use the cheap adapters as well, never had any problems with them.
07-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sandro3 Quote
Are you joking?
That, and 3 filters cost me £90, at first. I dropped all the filters, and no way am I going back again.