Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, failures aside, I spent the extra $95 and got the 3 year extended warranty from B&H. Seems like a good idea. I thought about the 18-135, but at the wide end, it seemed a little outa wack. Maybe I will rent one one day and put up the 50-135. For this ski season, I think I will keep with the original plan though.

07-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have experienced the same noise on my 50-135, and even strangely on my 18-55 II. When this happened, AF was noisy and focus ring felt gritty. This makes me to think it might be related to DA lens' quick shift function. For my cases, I was able to fix them by taking lens off camera and turning manual focus ring back and forth. This seems to release the binding in the focus mechanism.

Help this helps. But since you have warranty on the lens, you may return it to be safe.
07-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stpierre Quote
By far the best focusing Pentax lens I've ever had (out of many, many lenses) is surprisingly the DA18-135. Fast, accurate and quiet it is ever reliable which is great for travel when I most use it.
Perhaps you should tell this to all the people who've been disparaging that lens, such as those on dpreview regarding the K-30 sample shots a couple of days ago.
07-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Return it, but it's really worth getting another used or new one. I've been fortunate not to have SDM failure on either of my DA* lenses. It seems I read a while ago that the newer copies tend to have fewer failures, but I'm not sure.

But don't even hesitate to return this one - from your description, the sound is not normal.
Data analysis here in the PF summary of SDM failures reported does not support that assertion.
I'm ashamed to say my information is over 9 days old!

07-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've heard too many horror stories about SDM, and about the 50-135mm in particular. If I were you, I would probably just go with a Sigma or Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. They have warranties of 4-years and 7-years in the US, and the lenses are of very high quality. The big disadvantage, of course, is the size/weight, and less of a wide end.

Your other alternative would be to try to find a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 II EX HSM. It has image quality on par with the 50-135mm (probably a little sharper at f/2.8) and has much quicker autofocus. It's about the same size/weight as the 50-135mm. But since it's discontinued, it can be very hard to find. (And no, you can't have mine!)

If you do go with a Pentax 50-135mm, be sure to buy it brand new, buy it on a credit card, and purchase an extended warranty. I've had good experience with Mack Camera, and their warranties are inexpensive. I've also heard good things about Square Trade, but I think they're more expensive. Good luck!