Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA* 50 -135 Dreams Shattered: Experienced Pentaxians Help Me!

OK, so
I culled my lens herd, I scrimped and saved, and finally bought my dream: DA 50-135. I bought it used from KEH, which I normally have really good experiences with. This is the lens I have been drooling over for a bit. It came in the mail today, and the first time I put it on my K-5, it would move the USM to focus at all.
No it focuses OK, doesn't seem to back focus or front focus that I can tell. But it makes all sorts of squeaking noises and rubbing as it focuses in on something, and man is it SLOW. I had read that before, but didn't think it could be this slow.

All of which I can deal with. My question to any one out there is: does this indicate an imminent USM failure? I still have time to return this, and just pony up the extra $150 to buy a new one from B&H. Thoughts anyone? The clock is ticking for me to return this to KEH, I only have 14 days....

07-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would not keep a squeaky SDM lens that I had the option of returning
07-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1. Return it.

Keh.com is a very serious store and you should return it. Do it now.... Get the refund.

Then consider if you want really a SDM lens or not. The recent survey might help:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-sdm-failure-survey-results.html

The DA*50-135mm did not fare well....

Personally I try to stay clear of SDM (all brands) because I work outdoor in harsh conditions. I need a very solid lens, and SDM is out of question.

Food for thought.....
07-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For only $150.00 more and have a new one, I know what I would do.

Shame it was that way.

07-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I heard a lot of bad things about squeeky SDM. It leads to SDM failure from what I've seen. I would definitely return it.
07-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Return it, but it's really worth getting another used or new one. I've been fortunate not to have SDM failure on either of my DA* lenses. It seems I read a while ago that the newer copies tend to have fewer failures, but I'm not sure.

But don't even hesitate to return this one - from your description, the sound is not normal.
07-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks - the return is in progress with KEH, and my credit card just ate the brand new charges from B&H. As a plus I will now have a lens hood too. Thanks for all the feedback

07-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Return it, but it's really worth getting another used or new one. I've been fortunate not to have SDM failure on either of my DA* lenses. It seems I read a while ago that the newer copies tend to have fewer failures, but I'm not sure.

But don't even hesitate to return this one - from your description, the sound is not normal.
Data analysis here in the PF summary of SDM failures reported does not support that assertion.
07-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #9

da 50-135

Hey

I experienced a similar disappointment when I recieved a brand new Da 50-135 the day before my younger brothers soccer grand final. I took it along thinking I was bound to get a few great shots. From start to finish i had several times where it would lock/sieze up (Predominantly when a photogenic opportunity arose).

The good news!

I returned it the following week and recieved a brand new replacement, no questions were asked once I mentioned sdm failure. I purchased from BH PhotoVideo and they paid for return postage and all. I now love my da 50-135 and have found it very useful. So keep your chin up haha

Cheers
07-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #10

My *50-135 has always been fine (about 4 years now) but my *16-50 suffered an SDM failure. It has been damaged in a fall previously so impossible to say if that had an effect upon its reliability but even since having the SDM repaired it is still a bit "chirpy" in use and AF does hesitate from time to time which is disappointing.

By far the best focusing Pentax lens I've ever had (out of many, many lenses) is surprisingly the DA18-135. Fast, accurate and quiet it is ever reliable which is great for travel when I most use it.
07-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stpierre Quote
My *50-135 has always been fine (about 4 years now) but my *16-50 suffered an SDM failure. It has been damaged in a fall previously so impossible to say if that had an effect upon its reliability but even since having the SDM repaired it is still a bit "chirpy" in use and AF does hesitate from time to time which is disappointing.

By far the best focusing Pentax lens I've ever had (out of many, many lenses) is surprisingly the DA18-135. Fast, accurate and quiet it is ever reliable which is great for travel when I most use it.
Welcome Aboard! The 18-135 has a DC motor not SDM and has 0 reported failures here. I love mine too and it lives on my K5 as the default walk-around lens.
07-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Then consider if you want really a SDM lens or not. The recent survey might help:
Maybe it's you that needs to read it....

QuoteQuote:
*Despite the relatively large sample size, due to the likelihood of response bias, these figures should be treated as relative measurements rather than an absolute failure rate
All mechanical devices fail eventually. Unless you're going to go to manual focus it's certainly going to happen that your auto-focus is going to stop working one day. As will the screw drive motor in the screw drive cameras.

So yes, if you never want to be affected by an AF motor failure, go back to manual focus. AF may in fact be not nearly as cost affective, compared to MF just as riding a bike is a lot more cost effective than driving a car, if you can get where you are going on a bike. If it's makes you're life easier, it's not free. The more complicated things are, the more things there are to go wrong. That's almost as certain as taxes and death.

I love my one SDM Lens. It's quiet, focuses quickly and hasn't given me anything but great pictures. SO, you can avoid SDM if you choose, but you might be missing out on something you'd really appreciate.

I'm thinking about a Tamron 70-200 but I've noticed in forum reviews it has about a 10% failure rate. ( But if you get a good one, there is a 0% failure rate. People who have trouble , have it right out of the box.) Sounds to me reading the reviews any lens that makes odd noises should be returned. The Tammy is a screw drive, so I'm not convinced this is an SDM issue. As pointed out in other threads, if the lens is binding anywhere in it's focusing range, the motor is going to get overloaded and fail. It's the squeaky thing that is the problem here. Any lens that has mechanical problems, screw or SDM is going to fail sooner than later... because the internal components are being stressed beyond spec. go with that and return the lens. A lens that makes odd noises is almost certainly stressing the motor. It takes energy to create those noises.

Last edited by normhead; 07-24-2012 at 05:03 AM.
07-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you want to read more about the SDM issue for yourself here are some sources:

Pentax SDM Failure Survey Results - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/191980-sdm-aut...eally-bad.html
07-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If you want to read more about the SDM issue for yourself here are some sources:
If you want to torture yourself with the wailing and crying of those who were abused and then treated poorly by Pentax, the above will work just fine. If you want a more accurate reading of SDM, check out the reviews in the lens system. It's really easy to get confused. The problem in both of those threads is the anger generated by Pentax's return and warranty policies. My Henry's extended warranty policy states if the item is returned 3 times in 5 years, I get a new one. If you're at all nervous about SDM, that might be your solution. Pentax should have the same policy, but until they do, stores like Henry's will continue to make a pile of money from Pentax's lousy warranty policy.

In the reviews 85% are favourable... the numbers for the Tammy 70-200 are 90% recommended and that is so low I've got a whole strategy in mind for how I can end up with a good one., so the 16-50 has issues.

QuoteQuote:
I only regret I didn't buy this lens earlier. I was put off by bad reviews initially, but I tried Sigma 18-50/2.8 and Tamron 17-50/2.8 and neither convinced me. And my friend did let me try his DA* and I knew this is it.
to

QuoteQuote:
My experiences with this lens have been negatively traumatic, to the point where I have the dreaded "Fear of Using this Lens" syndrome. Sure, if I am in snapshot mode why not. But considering that it failed for me after it had just had a new motor installed of the newest generation (apparently) before I began my shoot for Harper's BAZAAR Magazine. NO WAY JOSE...

PS...Since reporting the issue on the day of the shoot being January 20, 2011, I have had zero feedback from Pentax!
Obviously SDM on the 16-50 is more of a crapshoot than most lenses. But, like other lenses, if you get a good one, you'll be happy.
07-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you want to torture yourself with the wailing and crying of those who were abused and then treated poorly by Pentax, the above will work just fine. If you want a more accurate reading of SDM, check out the reviews in the lens system. It's really easy to get confused. The problem in both of those threads is the anger generated by Pentax's return and warranty policies. My Henry's extended warranty policy states if the item is returned 3 times in 5 years, I get a new one. If you're at all nervous about SDM, that might be your solution. Pentax should have the same policy, but until they do, stores like Henry's will continue to make a pile of money from Pentax's lousy warranty policy.

In the reviews 85% are favourable... the numbers for the Tammy 70-200 are 90% recommended and that is so low I've got a whole strategy in mind for how I can end up with a good one., so the 16-50 has issues.

to

Obviously SDM on the 16-50 is more of a crapshoot than most lenses. But, like other lenses, if you get a good one, you'll be happy.
Well, at least we've established that the 16-50 is "more of a crapshoot", that at least is progress.

On the issue of the Henry's Warranty, that's terrific. Good for you and other Canadians who can buy from them. Those of us in the US get 1 year and Pentax USA seems to be in denial about the SDM issue. But for anyone outside Canada the Henry's Warranty is simply not a factor.

As for confusing issues, no there is no confusion. Yes, people get angry but mainly they only get angry because their really expensive lens has a design/manufacturing defect. The numbers really are clear - SDM fails, and it fails far more often than non-SDM equipped lenses - just look at the only DC lens in the lineup, the 18-135WR. The one DC lens, which came out after the SDM fiasco came to light, has 0 reported failures.