Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I'm not quite sure why people are saying the 30/1.4 is soft in the corners unless stopped down - of course it is, who on earth uses a f1.4 for across the frame sharpness !
Zeiss Z*85/1.4 Planar users working on APS-C in poor light:

Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZF - Review / Test Report - Analysis

07-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Zeiss Z*85/1.4 Planar users working on APS-C in poor light:

Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZF - Review / Test Report - Analysis
I don't get your point. It's a review of a different lens.

Anyway here's the C. Zeiss 85 @ f1.4

07-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I'm not quite sure why people are saying the 30/1.4 is soft in the corners unless stopped down - of course it is, who on earth uses a f1.4 for across the frame sharpness !
Well, mine is not just soft at the corners wide open. It's soft at the left & right edges wide open, and is still not sharp there at f/5.6. The corners never fully come around. It can fool you because the contrast is almost always nice. Take this photo for example. Taken at f/5.6. If you go to the flickr page, right click on the image and select "Original," you can see a slightly scaled-down version, and the mountain is fuzzy at the top, but sharp in the middle. My Tamron 24-135 would be sharper at the edges at 30mm, f/5.6.

07-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I don't get your point. It's a review of a different lens.
Different from what?
The review shows a lens which is as sharp on the border at f/1.4
as is the Sigma 30/1.4 at f/8 (on the respective 10MP sensors used by PZ).
A lens that can be used with across-the-frame sharpness at f/1.4.

07-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Different from what?
The review shows a lens which is as sharp on the border at f/1.4
as is the Sigma 30/1.4 at f/8 (on the respective 10MP sensors used by PZ).
A lens that can be used with across-the-frame sharpness at f/1.4.
All of which is still not pertinent. In real life and not a test who on earth would use f1.4 for a landscape/group shot or whatever ? No-one is the answer. When people use f1.4 they are looking for one thing, a subject in sharp relief to it's OOF BG. And that was my point.
07-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The sigma 30mm f1.4 is a stopgap lens for people looking for that fast fifty shallow dof look on FF. It does this amazingly well with subject close to camera, but as the background gets less blurred, the bokeh becomes weirdly triangular - astigmatism. I found this disappointing
07-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #37
Pentaxian

All of which is still not pertinent. In real life and not a test who on earth would use f1.4 for a landscape/group shot or whatever ? No-one is the answer.
That is a very categorical viewpoint which I do not share.
Have you never tried landscapes at dusk?

When people use f1.4 they are looking for one thing, a subject in sharp relief to it's OOF BG.
I think it is a mistake to project one's own photographic customs and styles onto other users.

Just because a particular technique (in this case, an aperture of f/1.4)
may be used for one particular purpose
(e.g. isolation from a background, as your shots have effectively demonstrated),
that does not exclude its use for other purposes (with suitable equipment).
07-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I think it is a mistake to project one's own photographic customs and styles onto other users.

(e.g. isolation from a background, as your shots have effectively demonstrated),
For instance shots in very low light,,,,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/7570928806/in/photostream

I use it because I find it a useful focal length, a widish standard, it has low light capabilities. It is a smallish lens, not expensive (I got mine used from this very forum) Is it a perfect lens?No. Does it work for many of us? Yes. Is it as good as the FA31-no, but it is a fair bit cheaper!!

Last edited by StephenHampshire; 07-26-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: add link
07-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I like my Shaggy 30/1.4, it does its job, can't comment on the FA31, but seeing pics from it, it certainly looks brilliant.

My 30/1.4 wide open.

07-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #40
Pentaxian

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Pentax 31mm f1.8 seem to be locked in eternal battle. I do a lot of people/portaits, and for my purposes I chose the Sigma 30mm. The price, the faster aperture, and the center sharpness advantage wide-open is why I chose the Sigma. It has not disappointed. If I thought the 31mm would serve me better, I would sell the Sigma and pay the extra cost, but I have not felt the need to do so.
07-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Well you are right, I should not make assumptions of other shooters techniques, however I've yet to see an edge to edge landscape (even at dusk) taken at f1.4. At dusk most landscape shooters would increase the duration of the shutter speed not open up the lens to f1.4, assuming no fast moving clouds (unless blurring the clouds was the intended look).

Last edited by Frogfish; 07-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.
07-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
For instance shots in very low light,,,,

Fireman | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I use it because I find it a useful focal length, a widish standard, it has low light capabilities. It is a smallish lens, not expensive (I got mine used from this very forum) Is it a perfect lens?No. Does it work for many of us? Yes. Is it as good as the FA31-no, but it is a fair bit cheaper!!
Hi Stephen.

Checking the EXIF that shot was taken at f2.5 and 1/8 SS. Which is of course still a fast aperture but (assuming you were about 10m from the subject) is giving you over 16m in focus. All of which can also be obtained by the 31 Ltd. or any other lens capable of an aperture of f2.5 or faster. I'm just pointing out that in this case your interesting shot has not shown any advantage for the Sigma over the Pentax (the subject of the thread).
07-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Just a quick point on the Sigma. I found when I was shooting it that I couldn't rely on the non-center autofocus points on my K5. Center point was fine, but the rest were really inconsistent. Anyway, not sure if that could have something to do with the auto focus issues people are talking about.
07-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just a quick point on the Sigma. I found when I was shooting it that I couldn't rely on the non-center autofocus points on my K5. Center point was fine, but the rest were really inconsistent. Anyway, not sure if that could have something to do with the auto focus issues people are talking about.
The poor resolution at full aperture off-center may be making it harder for the PDAF system.
07-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #45
Veteran Member

The poor resolution at full aperture off-center may be making it harder for the PDAF system.
Sorry but that's absolute rubbish! Got anything to support your assertion. Never encountered what you've stated.