Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another SDM Failure--NOT!

So, last weekend I am asked to shoot a friend's wedding. I am out and about with my trusty DA17-70, and it stops locking autofocus at the wide end. I start mumbling about it being time for my SDM failure and trying all kinds of settings to make it work.

Then I look at some of the photos in the back screen. The lens hood is on crooked. At the wide end, there is vignetting across only one diagonal. Remove and re-attach the hood (absolutely necessary as it is outdoors and late in the day), and the problem is solved. One wonders how many autofocus issues have "simple" causes.

07-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
One wonders how many autofocus issues have "simple" causes.
Probably quite a few.

Some people seem to be conditioned to blame Pentax and their camera for every failing, AF or otherwise. A recent example that springs to mind is this guy on the dpr forums complaining about Pentax's SDM failure - on his Sigma lens...

Last edited by rawr; 07-24-2012 at 06:48 AM.
07-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
User error is certainly a possibility we should all consider when we run into a glitch.
07-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
User error is certainly a possibility we should all consider when we run into a glitch.
Nah - I'm always right. It's the tools that are at fault.

07-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Nah - I'm always right. It's the tools that are at fault.
But that's ok because you're relaxed about it.
07-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I could blame it on the lens for it being so easy to put the hood on crooked. I won't. It's my bad. The good news is that 1) I manually focused just fine and 2) the vignetting on the shots before I caught it was pretty easy to crop out.
08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As a post script, I shot a dance camp this last weekend, and found out the "not" in my title should have been omitted. My problem before was apparently a combination of user error and a failing lens. This weekend, the DA 17-70 with a now properly attached hood ceased to lock focus on any body I own. Sad, because it has been a workhorse for years.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-15-2012 at 03:27 PM.
08-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
As a post script, I shot a dance camp this last weekend, and found out the "not" in my title should have been omitted. My problem before was apparently a combination of user error and a failing lens. This weekend, the DA 17-70 with a now properly attached hood ceased to lock focus on any body I own. Sad, because it has been my workhorse for years.
Sorry to hear about your SDM failure. I hope you were able to keep shooting with alternative lenses.
08-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #9

A somewhat similar story involving user error on my part. Yesterday I was shooting and event and noticed I could not get infinity focus with my FA 50mm 1.4. I couldn't remember dropping the lens or otherwise damaging it, but could not figure out what the problem was. Turns out that the 3rd party rubber hood I use on it had been pushed down the lens barrel from where it is normally seated and was blocking the long end of the focal range. A bit of twisting of the hood got it back into position and all was well.

Sorry to hear the postscript to your story Gene. Been thinking about a getting a similar lens, but from Tamron or Sigma.