Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
What is happening? astray?

Hi, i am frustrated by today pentax produces....

I thing, that Full Frame is good thing...
Is posible, that i am "old school thinking" or i am only poor...

But my opinion is, that GOOD lens should be FF compatible, with aperature ring and with solid build quality.
For primes plus: focus distance and hyperfocal scales.

What are current DA lenses? plastic(cheaper ones), ASP-C only, without aperature ring and often without scales... often weak build quality...
for example new DA 50/1,8... what is it? (i love landscapes and without hyperfocal i will be lost...)

If i want to use old film camera i cant! cheap extension tubes? i cant! reverse mount? i cant! use on feature (rumored) FF DSLR? cant!

For expample, old lenses, A series... it plus AF and it will be perfect! (i have A 28/2,8 and i love it)
Why pentax dont have any WR short, fast, prime lens? (Or have? I not found)

What is you opinion about that problematic? Please tell me it

Thx for read, PK

07-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well the DA 35 2.4 and DA50 1.8 are FF compatible (the DA has been tested by various forum members, I have an AF Film camera on the way and plan on using mine) the DA 50 is officially FF and it is mentioned in all the ads
I agree an aperture ring is nice to have, but modern lenses from all the manufacturers have been eliminating them

DOF scales also seem to have disappeared on the entry level sadly (this is not just a pentax thing), but the higher end lenses all still have them AFAIK (DA ltd, DA* and any current DFA/FA lens)
FA50 1.4 is still made and has the DOF scale and aperture ring BTW

For reverse mounting and cheap tubes the best bet with any brand is using the old lenses (AF doesn't really matter for this and neither does the A stop feature. A compatible tubes are not cheap tubes

The Z/X series cameras will be able to use the da lens with no aperture ring BTW

to figure out which bodies will worjk with what see the link below

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
07-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I miss the DoF scales, they can be useful, if not straight up required, for manual focusing and zone focusing. Plastic mounts don't bother me much, though. They slide on and off the camera more smoothly
07-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Agreed on aperture ring and DOF scales. But when one considers that all future cameras will have digital capabilities, one cannot really fault a camera maker for designing for that future, especially as the older non-digital capable cameras fade away.

As for plastic vs metal - I want the professional lens to be professionally built, and I won't complain about the bargain lenses.

07-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Agreed on aperture ring and DOF scales. But when one considers that all future cameras will have digital capabilities, one cannot really fault a camera maker for designing for that future, especially as the older non-digital capable cameras fade away.
But then the camera should allow for digital zone focusing. I understand that digital bodies eliminate the need for some manual things, but only if they actually provide an equal or better alternative. Otherwise, photographers are losing features in order for the manufacturer to make cheaper cameras for people who don't know much about photography ("so this button focuses? ok and where do I zoom? now I know all there is to know about photography")
07-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But then the camera should allow for digital zone focusing. I understand that digital bodies eliminate the need for some manual things, but only if they actually provide an equal or better alternative. Otherwise, photographers are losing features in order for the manufacturer to make cheaper cameras for people who don't know much about photography ("so this button focuses? ok and where do I zoom? now I know all there is to know about photography")
Sorry - my remark as far as the "future forward" statement was directed specifically for the aperture ring. I agree with either providing us with some sort of zone focusing assist or giving us DOF markings.
07-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

which would be why the enthusiast lenses still feature the dof scale. Remember the entry level cheap primes are targeting more entry level users (many of whom will say a DOF what?? and Zone what???) they are the gateway drug, they want to get you into primes and then as your skills develop sell you a better one.
07-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they are the gateway drug, they want to get you into primes and then as your skills develop sell you a better one.
True, but considering all their lenses in the past had these, it feels as though they removed the distance scales on purpose. The drug metaphor is really quite accurate, actually.

07-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

it feels as though they removed the distance scales on purpose..
they probably did. Given the 35 2.4 has the same optical formula as the 35 2.0 for the most part you need to give people a reason to move up. Price point product is frequently lacking in one area or another. I'll live without the dof scale when they give me the better build compared to say the cheap canon 50 that falls apart on a regular basis the DOF scale on the nikon 50 1.8 g is useless btw, only marks for F16 which look like they probably aren't overly accurate
07-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by bricamry Quote
Hi, i am frustrated by today pentax produces....

I thing, that Full Frame is good thing...
Is posible, that i am "old school thinking" or i am only poor...

Full frame is the wish of many, but if you are poor, you won't like the price of the rumored new full frame Pentax camera. Current rumors have it around $2,800 US dollars or about 2,300 Euros.

But my opinion is, that GOOD lens should be FF compatible, with aperature ring and with solid build quality.
For primes plus: focus distance and hyperfocal scales.

What are current DA lenses? plastic(cheaper ones), ASP-C only, without aperature ring and often without scales... often weak build quality...
for example new DA 50/1,8... what is it? (i love landscapes and without hyperfocal i will be lost...)

If i want to use old film camera i cant! cheap extension tubes? i cant! reverse mount? i cant! use on feature (rumored) FF DSLR? cant!

For expample, old lenses, A series... it plus AF and it will be perfect! (i have A 28/2,8 and i love it)
Why pentax dont have any WR short, fast, prime lens? (Or have? I not found)

All of Pentax lenses are based on what camera they are selling, and that happens to be the smaller framed sensors. Until they come out with a full frame DSLR, your wishes for new full frame lenses will remain that - wishes.

What is you opinion about that problematic? Please tell me it

Thx for read, PK
Pentax/Ricoh like any business is there to make money. Making lenses for camera bodies they no longer make isn't one way to do it. However, as I said, once Pentax introduces a full frame DSLR, I'm betting you will see their lens line-up change. Be patient!
07-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bricamry Quote
i love landscapes and without hyperfocal i will be lost.
Learn the hyperfocal distance for your favorite aperture,
set center point autofocus,
let the lens focus on something (contrasty) at that distance,
then recompose or switch from AF to MF to hold that distance.
07-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
THX to everyone, thx for youre opinions and answers...

for clarify: my thinking about lens... thinking economicaly...
K / M - perfect build, but not A aperature
A - very good build, for me its that, what i will buy...
F / FA - poor build, but still have scales and aperature ring
DA etc (under $400)- catastrofy, only name of lens, sn, focusing ring and it is all...

that is my opinion...

and FF pentax? $2000 ? oh my holy... okay i dont thing so if i'll have it ever

okay... i'll buy any sealed DSLR in the future K-5 is very nice... i weant to cuddle it

btw FA50/1,4 is trash, i think... not sharp wide open? yuck... i can buy it for $230, but i'll rather buy A50/1,7 for $110...
okay but I'll can find A50/1,2 i will kill for it