Canon : 30 : 27 : 57 : 0,47
Nikon : 22 : 26 : 48 : 0,54
Olympus : 13 : 5 : 18 : 0,28
Pentax : 14 : 16 : 30 : 0,53
Sony : 8 : 10 : 18 : 0,56

First figure: # fixed focal lengths lenses in the listing of subjected brand
2nd figure: #zooms in their listing
3rd: total lenses (= 1+2)
4rd: ratio fixed focals in gamma (= 2/3)

For Pentax, I took the figures from the Japanese website (and included the newly anounced ones), for the others, I took the from the according global websites... I did not include the MF Nikkors for obvious reasons...

If I look at these figures, then I would conclude that Pentax is not doing bad after all. Not only have they almost double as much lenses than Sony and Olympus, but also their ratio fixed focals/zooms is far more favorable than that of the others (Nikon aside.)

Ok, it's just statistics, and, as we all know, they don't say everything, but as I said, I was thinking about it, and I just have to make the calculations for my self.

To be fair, I should also mention that both Oly and Sony are new in the game and are still expanding, but Pentax is too, so make your own conclusions...

Last edited by Pentaxke; 01-26-2008 at 01:55 PM.
01-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't particularly care about market statistics. I've never liked Canon cameras, except my A-1, and Nikon's just left a really sour taste in my mouth!
01-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
Nikon's just left a really sour taste in my mouth!
Why sour taste? I thought the new D3 and 300 are really quite impressive!
01-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Nice statistics.
Apart from statistics, I think now pentax has completed his primes until 300mm (though a fast 135 would be nice) and zooms until 250 mm.
Now they should make 400 and 500mm zooms and primes.

01-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Why sour taste? I thought the new D3 and 300 are really quite impressive!
The Nikon Coolpix 8700 I had was disgusting. I hated the D40 and the D40x. To top that off, the lack of certain features on D40, D40x, and D80 annoyed me too much. Also, I didn't like my uncle's camera. He has a Nikon D200. So, I bypassed them completely.
01-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Lee

3rd Party Support

I'm curious what the numbers would be like if you included third party support (Sigma, Tamron, et al.). Not a fair comparison, I think, as the third parties merely target the larger market shares, but it may be interesting.
01-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry but could you explain the fourth number? Ratio fixed focals in gamma? What does that mean?

NaCl(last time I had statistics they were still using slide rules)H2O

01-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
If I look at these figures, then I would conclude that Pentax is not doing bad after all. Not only have they almost double as much lenses than Sony and Olympus, but also their ratio fixed focals/zooms is far more favorable than that of the others (Nikon aside.)
Wait, I don't get it. Even if we accept the proposition that zooms are better than fixed focal length lenses, what does their ratio have to do with anything? A company with only one lens would score a perfect "1" if it were a zoom -- so, uh, yay for them?
01-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm sorry but could you explain the fourth number? Ratio fixed focals in gamma? What does that mean?

NaCl(last time I had statistics they were still using slide rules)H2O
My English is far from perfect, so please forgive me:

the fourth number is the number of fixed focal length lenses divided by total account of lenses. I think the more fixed focal lengths a brand has, the better, because in a way it shows the commitment of that brand to photo enthusiasts... But I could be wrong however...
01-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Wait, I don't get it. Even if we accept the proposition that zooms are better than fixed focal length lenses,
It is the other way around: in my opinion it is better for a particular brand to have more fixed focals.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
what does their ratio have to do with anything? A company with only one lens would score a perfect "1" if it were a zoom -- so, uh, yay for them?
You're completely right. That's why I place Pentax ahead of Sony, even if the ratio of fixed focals is a bit better with Sony...
01-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lee Quote
I'm curious what the numbers would be like if you included third party support (Sigma, Tamron, et al.). Not a fair comparison, I think, as the third parties merely target the larger market shares, but it may be interesting.
That would be completely unfair I think. For instance: Tokina brands the same lenses as Pentax (well more or less ), but they are not available in Pentax K mount...
01-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
My English is far from perfect, so please forgive me:

the fourth number is the number of fixed focal length lenses divided by total account of lenses. I think the more fixed focal lengths a brand has, the better, because in a way it shows the commitment of that brand to photo enthusiasts... But I could be wrong however...
Oh, OK, didn't get that. But even if that is true, Canon still has as many primes as Pentax has lenses in total. Besides I'm thinking that zooms probably sell better than primes, so I don't think that Canon has to worry about Pentax for a while yet.

NaCl(not that I think Pentax/Hoya is in any problem business wise)H2O