Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
As I mentioned before, you should be able to get at least an A20/2.8 for about the same money as a new DA 21.

The advantage in your situation is that the A20 becomes an ultra-wide on film.
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the FA-J is the only cheap 18mm for FF.

It seem i forgot to say that the only interest of the 18-35 is using it on film. Otherwise the 18-55 is better for digital.
And my primary focus is digital. I have the ZX-30 because it seems it's not worth the effort of selling it. It was a basic model and there are plenty of them around.

07-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
...Why do you suggest selling the A 50 1.4? Other than the 28-80 and 70-300, all the other lenses have been acquired since July 3rd, which was only the 18-55. The rest have shown up somewhere between the 16th-23rd I believe. The few shots I've taken with the F 50 1.7 have been good, but I like the manual focus on the A 50 1.4 for the shallow DOF compared to the slightly more than 1/4 turn the focus ring travels on the F 50.

I'd be shocked if I got more than $175 for the M 50, 28-80, and 35-70. If were to get the 16-45, I would be gaining 2mm on the wide side, losing 10 on the other end, and losing the WR.
It feels much like my own situation. I have the A50/1.4 and the F50/1.7, and some really good reasons to own them. I used the A50/1.4 a lot more with my *ist DS, which had a split-prism focus screen and no SR. With my K-7 and stock screen, it is just enough to make me choose the F50/1.7 all the time. There is just that slight doubt that I have truly nailed focus enough to use f1.4, the times I forgot to enter the right focal length for SR, times when AF is handy, laziness, etc. I think active kids might tip the balance even more. Since you just got them, you can see which one collects more dust for you.

The big reason I get evangelical about the 16-45 is because I'm too cheap to buy alternatives. The DA* 16-50/2.8 is better in a lot of ways but price.
07-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It feels much like my own situation. I have the A50/1.4 and the F50/1.7, and some really good reasons to own them. I used the A50/1.4 a lot more with my *ist DS, which had a split-prism focus screen and no SR. With my K-7 and stock screen, it is just enough to make me choose the F50/1.7 all the time. There is just that slight doubt that I have truly nailed focus enough to use f1.4, the times I forgot to enter the right focal length for SR, times when AF is handy, laziness, etc. I think active kids might tip the balance even more. Since you just got them, you can see which one collects more dust for you.

The big reason I get evangelical about the 16-45 is because I'm too cheap to buy alternatives. The DA* 16-50/2.8 is better in a lot of ways but price.
My camera prompts me for focal length every time I turn it on with lenses like the A and M 50. I forget to take the SR off when using a tripod. I need to start remembering to do that. I probably went a bit too fast, too soon with some of these lenses, but none of them were expensive with the F 50 1.7 having the highest price tag. And all of the lenses I bought would barely get me half way to the DA* 16-50.
07-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Have you considered a reliable M35/f2.0? A great walk around lens, and sharp. I use that or my Distagon 35/f2.0 as walk arounds.

07-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A couple 20mm lenses on eBay are $430-$500. An A35 f/2.8 is $240 plus $48 in shipping.
07-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have noticed some wider angle lenses in the marketplace here that might fit the bill you are loooking for. If full frame/film is not a concern then I very much recommend a DA 21mm limited it is a great lens. It can be had on craigslist occasionally for around 400 to 450.

Also, Im not sure how if it is too wide but the DA 10 - 17mm fisheye is alot of fun and super wide
11-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So...a bit of an update. My inlaws gave me their ME Super not long ago...gave me the itch to get back in touch with film. I now have the ME Super, KX, KM, and on Tuesday, an LX will be added to that list along with a pair of viewfinders, flash, and some other goodies. I'm looking to sell the either the KX or KM or even both. Thinking about keeping one as a full manual, but haven't decided. My daughter (yes, she's almost 3 and not ready for something like these) loves running around the house with an old digital P&S. Loves it. Thinking about keeping one of the KM/KX for her to learn with in the future. The ME Super will stay with me until I give it to one of the kids as it was purchased to take baby pictures of my wife. I expect the LX to be my go to camera for film and go everywhere the K-5 goes.

The F35-70 and M50/1.4 are both sold. Keeping the A50/1.4 for video on the K-5 and film. One of the film bodies came with a K55/1.8 and I recently picked up a K28/3.5. I think I'll just stick with those lenses for the time being, maybe I'll look for something in the 85-135mm range with a fast enough aperture.

I'm hesitant to invest in the DA limiteds as I expect Pentax to release a FF at some point and I'll eventually get it.

A flash for the K-5 is probably the highest priority before any new lenses. Thinking about the Metz 58 AF-2.