Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Considering pentax was the first company to sell 1 million SLRs, i am not so certain that the "roots" are lenses, although I will acknowledge that pentax has a reputation for historically making very fine prime lenses.
You mean 10 million (they might the first to 1 million as well for all I know)?
Anyway, there are several lenses on the roadmap; many high-end. I look foreward to the Limited zoom....

08-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #32
Site Supporter

For all of the talk about it being suicide for Pentax to take on Canon and Nikon, might I remind anyone who is willing to listen that no one thought Ricoh could take on Canon in the global copier market. Guess who's number one today? With backing from Ricoh, Pentax may very possibly be able to take on Canon and Nikon. What's more, I suspect that's exactly what Ricoh has planned. Why bother buying Pentax if you plan on remaining a niche brand? Ricoh cameras were that already. The very purchase of Pentax was a signal that Ricoh has big plans. But in order for them to work, they must be executed methodically and with great discipline. It won't happen overnight. But it might just happen - with great success. This is a time of great change in photography and many sacred cows are likely to be sacrificed in this brave, new world.
08-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

If Jobs were still alive and the CEO of Pentax, I might believe in anything. But Ricoh? Their own digital cameras don't seem that big globally.
08-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

IMO, it don't matter what Pentax does with their lenses, or maybe even their camera bodies, in September or anytime in the future. Cause the sad fact is, Pentax neither give a s**t to us down here nor its user anywhere...

08-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
If Jobs were still alive and the CEO of Pentax, I might believe in anything. But Ricoh? Their own digital cameras don't seem that big globally.
That's because it hasn't been a priority. Until now. The acqusition of Pentax was step one in changing that. If this were 50 years ago with Leica, Pentax and Kodak at the top of the heap (depending on market focus) would you have put your money on Canon and Nikon? Things can change.
08-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I feel like I'm soiling myself giving this mess a bump, but since its already at the top.

For Pentax to even bother in the lens market they have to have a product that you can't easily go elsewhere for at a lower price. So long as I can keep getting good quality Sigma and Tamron lenses for half the price of Pentax ones, that's exactly what I will do.
They actually have a better lens lineup at this point than Pentax does which is embarrassing considering we are the proverbial redheaded stepchild to them and only get the table scraps after Canon and Nikon are fed. When Pentax used to have a huge complete lens lineup, Tamron and Sigma and the like were all just upstart off brand companies, now they are a name to be respected in their own right.
I think Pentax should drop the cheap stuff since they cant compete with the volume pricing of Sigma and Tamron, and just put all their efforts into a very limited number of high end WR primes and zooms with as fast an aperture as is cost effective and drop the rest to save on cost. If they plan to release a FF body then most everything might as well be FF as well to avoid doubling the size of the lens lineup.

Honestly at this point all that keeps me with Pentax is my old lenses. If I decided to refresh my lineup with all new stuff I would switch to a Canon or Nikon FF. I already recommend to any friends that I drag into photography either a Canon or a Nikon because from a non biased point of view it just doesn't make any sense for a person with no prior investment to pick Pentax when everything is considered, that's kinda scary.
08-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #37

Pentax hasn't strayed from their roots - the 16-50 is a fantasic manual focus lens.
badump-bump--tish
08-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Pentax hasn't strayed from their roots - the 16-50 is a fantasic manual focus lens.
badump-bump--tish
No it isn't. It has too short focus throw for that....
It also flare far too much to fit in with Pentax roots...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-12-2012 at 06:03 PM.
08-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
For Pentax to even bother in the lens market they have to have a product that you can't easily go elsewhere for at a lower price.
Original lenses from the camera manufacturers have always costed twice as much as third party lenses. Old third party lenses are virtually worthless whereas good Pentax glass can actually in the best cases be sold second hand for up to 3.8 times what you paid for them brand new....
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Original lenses from the camera manufacturers have always costed twice as much as third party lenses. Old third party lenses are virtually worthless whereas good Pentax glass can actually in the best cases be sold second hand for up to 3.8 times what you paid for them brand new....
I'm not sure that will stay as true as it has been, even as recent as the 80's many of the 3rd party manufacturers were building cheap crap compared to Pentax lenses so there is nothing to hold its value since it never really had any.
The best of the A series Pentax lenses are so expensive now (though only a fraction of the new overpriced stuff) because they are the only series that had both automatic aperture which is nearly essential on a DSLR unless you want to fiddle around before every shot, and a good manual focus capability meaning they can be used on basically anything Pentax ever made without a crippling work around. They also have the speed and build quality to still be useful. When a FF DSLR comes out the prices in that series will go even higher because they will work to their full potential again and all the focal lengths will make sense, (try using a fast 50 on a crop sensor). I think current ridiculous new lens prices did more to drive the cost of the A series up than anything, even at twice what they originally cost they are still a steal compared to new crap.

With the modern stuff the 3rd party lenses are just as good as (and in some cases better than) the Pentax ones and so far are holding their value just as well. The speed and optical quality of the lenses seems to be much more important to price than the brand now. So if Pentax can't put out the same product or better for the same price people will just buy 3rd party stuff.
08-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #41
Veteran Member

No it isn't. It has too short focus throw for that....
It also flare far too much to fit in with Pentax roots...
And the bulid quality is below anything, I have used so far: the zoom mechanism on my own example just fell apart for the second time, since I bought it. It is not only poorly implemented SDM, it is an overall poorly constructed lens.

Ben
08-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
And the bulid quality is below anything, I have used so far: the zoom mechanism on my own example just fell apart for the second time, since I bought it. It is not only poorly implemented SDM, it is an overall poorly constructed lens.
Ben
Perhaps HOYA laid off too many experienced engineers? Just a wild guess.
08-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote

Ben
I think it is Tokina lens (in spite of rumors to the contrary). I also think that is why its being replaced.
08-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I think it is Tokina lens (in spite of rumors to the contrary). I also think that is why its being replaced.
It is a Pentax branded and priced lens, so I expect quality. But, yes, Pentax also resold Tamron lenses under its own name and quality was always lower, than the "original" Tamron branded lens, because decentering was more prominent. That translates (in my opinion) in bad quality assurance on Pentax' side or abysmal tolerances accepted by Pentax. If I compare that to my older Pentax lenses, I recognize a massive loss in terms of quality and reliability since the demise of the FA lenses.

Ben
08-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #45
Site Supporter

I've used Pentax on & off for 32 years. When the LX came out, I wanted and bought the body only. Then I bought a second. Their lenses(to me)were always slow in speed and looked pedestrian and even at military prices, caused no panic to run out and purchase one.. I only aquired the K85 1.8 because it was fast and no longer available. I didn't purchase a company lens for another 10 years and would not have If I weren't for this site, Although I have the "Three Amigo's" and want the 21/15 Ltd's, I don't really care about Pentax lens-wise.

The company needs lenses that excite the potential customer with features, performance and looks. Get rid of the plastic(use it on the body and not the mount). Fix the motor issues.

Last edited by tabl10s; 08-14-2012 at 04:12 PM.