Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I take ages to decide on what equipment to bring on a trip, depending on if it’s a driving road trip or a longer airplane trip. Also depends if I’m going to do a lot of walking and use public transportation to get around.

I have to decide on the format, film, camera bodies, lenses, filters, tripods and bags. I spend a tenth of the time deciding on what cloths to bring than which photography equipment to bring!

Phil.
LOL, I'm like that some times

I went to Victoria for the weekend (46 hours actually) long way to go for such a short time

I packed K7, SV, 20 3.8, 28 3.5, 35 3.5, 50 1.4, 55 1.8, 135 3.5, 200 4.0 plus da35 2.4 and 18-55wr in case, picked up a little Oly MJU film camwera and a minolta 16 while i was there - complete overkill, never used the sv, shot a roll nthe mju, did manage to use all the m42 lenses though, and a few with the da 35, never used the 18-55wr (it was in case we went crabbing)
laptop in another bag with 2 shirts and a couple changes of socks and underwear - then i picked up 8 shirts their lol (to be fair it was $22 for 8 nice vintage shirts half of which i will sell on to a local shop here for 10-15 each)

07-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Well, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and risk the wrath (or, at least, friendly disagreement) of the previous posters.
Bring your favorite lenses. Period.
Why? Because if someone loves UWA, thay'll find a way to use that 15mm prime NO MATTER where they go. Astrophotography? Get that BIG sky! Wild animals? Get the WHOLE mountain range!
Same for the tele fans. Grand Canyon? Pick out ONE section of rock. Ocean view? ONE sailboat.
Macro? Don't get me started! And I love macro, but it does tend to make you look for the tiny things and (sometimes) overlook the whole picture.
We don't shoot what's THERE, we shoot what we see. Big difference.
A dozen photographers can go to Vegas, each bringing ONE lens, their favorite (all different) and each will go home happy, because they brought the RIGHT lens. And they did.
JMO,
Ron
Do you know what, that is a great post, and I really agree with everything you wrote.

And also I would add, to the OP, do not bring all your lenses. You obviously have a hard time making decisions. Its better to agonize over it now then when youre sitting in your hotel room on a vacation.

Enjoy and be careful...lots of drunks in vegas that spill things!
07-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdodrill Quote
Since I see in primes I have a very light weight choice of my 15, 21, 40 and 70. For a business trip, I would take the 15 and 40 which would be great for walking around vegas, taking night shots, etc.
That is my quick and dirty travel kit as well, though these days the FA35/2 or FA50/1.4 sometimes edges out the 40 or gets added to the kit for its speed. (The 40 takes up no room, so why not?) With today's sensors, you can crop that 70 to equal a number of zooms at twice the FL.
07-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #34

I have three lenses that always seem to be in my bag. First is a Kiron M 28mm F2 that I picked up in a charity shop for about $3. Even though it's an M, it just seems to take better pics than my Pentax 28mm. Second would be my A 70-210. Last, the lens that spends almost all of it's time on my camera is my A35-105. If I'm doing something specific there are others that get added or taken out out of the bag, but these three seem to be my constant standby's at the moment.

Last edited by opfor; 07-30-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
07-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Last major trip, I just took the DA15 and F35-70. Did me proud, and saved me the agony of indecision leaving the hotel each day. It was also a very lightweight set up, so I was able to travel with hand luggage only!
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ended up taking the DA 15-50 and DA 55-300 kit lenses, FA 50mm f1.7, and the 100mm f3.5 macro. I left the macro in the hotel room though, and didn't make a single shot with it. I've never liked the 18-50, preferring to use a zoom that starts at 28 or 35... I've never much cared for wide angle, but I found I used it quite a bit in vegas, and was very happy with it. while I normally find the 18-50mm to be not long enough, and too wide for my taste, in vegas it was the lens for most of my shots. I swapped on the 55-300 for long shots of specific statues and such, but the 18-55 was invaluable. Likewise, the fast 50 was great for indoors. I took these three lenses with me everywhere, as well as my flash, and got soem wonderful shots. The 100mm was just never necessary, where normally it is one of my favorite lenses.

Charles.
07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LOL, I'm like that some times

I went to Victoria for the weekend (46 hours actually) long way to go for such a short time

I packed K7, SV, 20 3.8, 28 3.5, 35 3.5, 50 1.4, 55 1.8, 135 3.5, 200 4.0 plus da35 2.4 and 18-55wr in case, picked up a little Oly MJU film camwera and a minolta 16 while i was there - complete overkill, never used the sv, shot a roll nthe mju, did manage to use all the m42 lenses though, and a few with the da 35, never used the 18-55wr (it was in case we went crabbing)
laptop in another bag with 2 shirts and a couple changes of socks and underwear - then i picked up 8 shirts their lol (to be fair it was $22 for 8 nice vintage shirts half of which i will sell on to a local shop here for 10-15 each)
Yes life was easier when I just had my Instamatic. I only had to worry about the amount of film to bring, even that wasn’t an issue as everyone sold film back then if you ran out..

Phil.

08-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #38

I'm leaving for a 5 week trip to Indonesia in 2 days and have been thinking about which lenses to take for quite a long time now. In the end I said to myself I'll just take (almost) all my lenses, because this will most likely be the last trip in these regions at least for a very long time (if ever again)
I packed my Sigma 8-16, 21,40,70 ltd, Sigma 50 1.4, DA*60-250, a flash, raynox 150 ( if there's some cash left at the end of the trip, maybe I'll treat myself to a 100mm macro WR as souvenir ) and a Fujifilm X100 for the times that I don't want/can't lug the K-5 around. I'll leave my 50-135 and Sigma 17-50 2.8 at home. I've never really got to grips with the 17-50. For some reason I prefer primes at the wide end (with exception of the 8-16mm) Hmm, maybe this trip would be the opportunity to get to like the 17-50??? Nah, I think I'll sell it anyway to partly fund some other LBA related buys, so it better stays at home
We're not backpacking and are staying exclusively at hotels or in private homes of my wife's family. I plan to take only one lens with me every time we leave the house and try to make the most out of it. If I can't decide I'll flip a coin or let someone else decide and accept the challenge.
08-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #39

hmm, come to think of it-
the last time I was on a "serious" trip with a SLR was at least 20 years ago with my father's camera that was nearly as old as I was and a 35mm lens. Nothing more. And I managed to get quite a few very nice shots....
Maybe I should get back to basics and sell all that expensive glass in exchange for a normal prime???

[just kidding]

this trip was one of the excuses to buy a decent DSLR in the first place, so why not use it with all I've got?
08-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #40
Pentaxian

If I am travelling with the intension of doing some photography but nothing photographic is the reason for the trip I will take my Pentax sling bag with every lens I own and both the MZ5n and the K-r (reason for the K-r was its size in the first place). But that is only a FE zoom and three primes. I will borrow a lens or two from my wife depending on where I am going. But the bag is small and light even full.

If I am travelling by car and or photography is the main reason for going then it is also tough deciding between formats. Almost anywhere I go I wished I had the Hasselblad with me but for urban travelling when you are flying to that location the Pentaxs will just have to do although i might consider including the Rolleichord. I now have a larger sling bag so I can take the 70-200 2.8 with but it is much better travelling without it however as was mentioned why leave it at home if you are going some where you most likely will need it. In May to New Orleans I took it along but most of the time it stayed in the room but where I wanted to use it I had it. I also had a X100 for that trip and some times that is all you want to carry.

Just do not let the gear get in the way of your trip. If photography is a major part of it take more than if it just being fitted in. Avoid duplication and the biggest and best is not always the right one to take along. Enjoy
08-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #41

next trip I'll surely know better

haven't been on any larger trip with my gear,yet, so I'll just have to find out what works best, I guess.

one thing I found out about most things concerning photo is that if you ask 10 people you'll most likely get 12 different answers. quite similar to my other hobby, audio gear and music... sometimes it's the gear that's most fascinating sometimes it's just the pics (or the music)
08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Above almost all else, I value traveling light, especially when I am out shooting. I have a nice set of Limited prime lenses, but sometimes, I prefer the versatility and convenience of a zoom. So for me, the big decision is whether to bring my DA*16-50 along for the ride. I am somewhat mystified by those who routinely carry nearly every piece of gear that they own "just in case". This suggests insecurity about having limited options and making them work. It's not unlike people who pack two suitcases full of clothes for a five day trip. I recommend learning to discipline oneself in packing clothes and camera gear. It makes traveling much easier and more pleasurable.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 08-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.
08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Above almost all else, I value traveling light, especially when I am out shooting. I have a nice set of Limited prime lenses, but sometimes, I prefer the versatility and convenience of a zoom. So for me, the big decision is whether to bring my DA*16-50 along for the ride. I am somewhat mystified by those who routinely carry nearly every piece of gear that they own "just in case". This suggests insecurity about having limited options and making them work. It's not unlike people who pack two suitcases full of clothes for a five day trip. I recommend learning to discipline oneself in packing clothes and camera gear. It makes traveling much easier and more pleasurable.

Rob
Oh I have no issues with the clothes, i can do 2 weeks in a decent carry on
problem is the camera gear uses up the carry on allotment
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #44

my selection of clothes usually limites itself by the fact that I am over 2m tall and quite "robust". There's only so much of my size that fits into 1 suitcase (I would never fit a decent set of clothes in a carry on )

I happily admit to a degree of insecurity about having limited options since I am quite new to this game, i.e. lacking experience and having no clue as what to expect at our destination..

my choice of gear would probably look different if I had to carry it with me all the time, though.
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast Quote
my selection of clothes usually limites itself by the fact that I am over 2m tall and quite "robust". There's only so much of my size that fits into 1 suitcase (I would never fit a decent set of clothes in a carry on )
LOL i'm 6' and about 220, but i don't usually do 2 week trips where I have to dress up, jeans a few shirts and underwear etc, and i'll run a load through the laundry when i'm away
occasionally i get tempted and by clothes, in that case i hit the local market for a cheap bag to pack the excess)