Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Should really put a hood on teh FA* 85?

Hey,

The heading says it all. My FA* 85mm 1.4 came without a hood, and I didn't care to search for one. But the question has always been in my mind; the original hood is so big that makes me think the lens is very prone to side lights. Like the helios lenses. So that makes me think I am losing IQ without a hood.

What do you say?

It's quite hard for me to find the original hood, but the size deters me anyway, should I get any hood to my lens?

----

Edit: grammar mistake

Last edited by Crosshair; 07-26-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: grammar mistake
07-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I definitely think you should get a hood, as it's so big that it protects the lens very well from stray light. It also does a great job of protecting the front element when mounted, and the lens barrel when reverse-mounted

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2012, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Hood on mine suffered a few fatal blows, I use this one now.

Its from a 645 FA 150mm, fits, not exact, but does go on, stays on, and reverses for storage, gives great coverage to the front element, and is smaller than the original.

07-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Every lens benefits from a hood but the larger the front element, the more exposed it is, and the greater the light gathering ability of the lens the more it needs one. Your lens tends to be at or near the top in each of those categories.......Yes, it needs a hood!

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-26-2012 at 06:25 AM.
07-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Every lens benefits from a hood but the larger the front element, the more exposed it is, and the greater the light gathering ability of the light the more it needs one. Your lens tends to be at or near the top in each of those categories.......Yes, it needs a hood!
In addition, it offers some protection against bumping or getting things in contact with the element.