Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When a product first comes out, they try and recoup development costs... at the end of a Camera run, they are just trying to clear out old stock. My guess, Pentax knows exactly how many days until the K-5 replacement comes out, they know exactly how many cameras they have to sell a day until that happens. The price will reflect trying to get the best price possible while still moving the camera out the door. When something is first released, it's quite possible they won't have enough of them to cover the immediate demand. How do you decide who gets one? How about people who will pay the extra 50 bucks get one first?
I understand your point with the K5.But compared to the other big two companies,Pentax seem to hold onto the highest price and then dribble it down very slowly over time until the near end of production,then like you said,"to clear out old stock".But my point is that if they make the product at a competitive price at the start,then I'm sure they would sell more volumes and still make a good profit to go and I'm sure more people would try and buy the Pentax brand over it's competitors more because of the sheer quality of Pentax.

07-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Let's face it. The only brand new Pentax lenses worth buying are the LIMITED.
QTF. Although I would never invest that much money on a Ltd (I'm just a hobbist), I'm not buying any DA lenses in the foreseeable future. The prices seem way above the performance and build quality, specially compared to other brands. I just can't justify. If it weren't for M/A lenses I find in the used market, I would've sold all my Pentax gear a long ago.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 07-26-2012 at 07:47 PM.
07-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
QTF. Although I would never invest that much money on a Ltd (I'm just a hobbist), I'm not buying any DA lenses in the foreseeable future. The prices seem way above the performance and build quality, specially compared to other brands. I just can't justify. If it weren't for M/A lenses I find in the used market, I would've sold all my Pentax gear a long ago.
There are cheap lenses and there are expensive lenses. Usually you get what you pay for. Obviously on the used market, there are some real deals and maybe in Brazil Pentax has little or no presence/higher prices than the competition, but in the United States, it is really awash. Canon L lenses are very expensive, as are Nikon's upper tier lenses, compared to them, the limiteds look like a good deal. On the other hand compared to consumer primes, maybe not so good. But that is always the question. Do you compare the FA 77 to the Nikon 85 f1.8 or, the Nikon 85 f1.4? Which one you compare it to, will decide what kind of deal you think you are getting.
07-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #34
JFN
Veteran Member

The FA 50mm f/1.4 can be had @349 USD new, then you get f/1.4, metal mount, AND aperture ring (for those of us who appreciate this).

Nobrainer.

Last edited by JFN; 07-27-2012 at 04:12 AM.
07-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Damn, that is really cheap. Cheaper than my average friday dinner meal...
07-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Do you compare the FA 77 to the Nikon 85 f1.8 or, the Nikon 85 f1.4?
Having owning both the 77 and Nikkor 85mm 1.8g, personally I think the 85mm 1.8g is the better lens (and I love my 77), cheaper too, but the 77 wins in (only) the size department.
07-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Having owning both the 77 and Nikkor 85mm 1.8g, personally I think the 85mm 1.8g is the better lens (and I love my 77), cheaper too, but the 77 wins in (only) the size department.
As far as I could remember from dpreview and pentaxforums in the old posts, there were clearly references that canon/nikon 85mm f1.8 shared the same optical design. These two lenses are traditionally Japanese lens that focus on centre sharpness with a lot of other lens parametres ignored eg contrast, corner sharpness, texture rendering and picture "finish" etc.

Fa 77 has its flaws but it has that wow factor that a lot of pentaxians really adore for

07-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Let's face it. The only brand new Pentax lenses worth buying are the LIMITED.
No,you "face it", laying out the $199 for my 35 2.4 was an awesome purchase. I love that lens. It's been on the camera for days at a time. I have trouble getting it away from my wife so I can take a few shots with it. And there is pretty much nothing like my DA* 60-250 and DA 18-135 combination. I walk around with the 18-135 on a K20D or K-5 on my hip in a belt mounted camera case, half open for quick removal, and the 60-250 over my shoulder the shoulder case that came with it, and I'm ready to walk for miles and for almost anything including rain, mist and dust. The fact that you are incredibly myopic isn't changed by your appeal to everyone else to "face it."
07-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No,you "face it", laying out the $199 for my 35 2.4 was an awesome purchase. I love that lens. It's been on the camera for days at a time. I have trouble getting it away from my wife so I can take a few shots with it. And there is pretty much nothing like my DA* 60-250 and DA 18-135 combination. I walk around with the 18-135 on a K20D or K-5 on my hip in a belt mounted camera case, half open for quick removal, and the 60-250 over my shoulder the shoulder case that came with it, and I'm ready to walk for miles and for almost anything including rain, mist and dust. The fact that you are incredibly myopic isn't changed by your appeal to everyone else to "face it."
Have to agree with you there regarding both the "limited" comment and the 35/2.4. It goes for $169 new often these days and is a great buy. I also own a Limited lens and.....it's not that much better optically, so it's NOT worth buying new. Used, yes it was worth it - but not at its new price.
07-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Are Pentax users so poor like a church mouse to moan and whine when lens prices aren't what they expect? Seems like it from the many who lament that prices ought to be like the Nikon or Canon el-cheapo 50mm lenses. What's the point comparing with Canikon offerings? It's not as if you can use a Canon or Nikon mount lens to your K mount camera. If you feel the grass is greener with another brand, then jump ship... oh, dear, the average Pentax user is probably financially challenged to jump ship, that's why they're stuck with using Pentax... My suggestion, either hope and wait prices will come down or work harder and set aside more money. That's a better plan than incessant complaining and ranting that Pentax should do this or that. If you can't afford Pentax's current offerings, don't buy and limit yourself to legacy or used lenses which are cheaper but with reduced functionality. Pentax can well survive penny pinchers not buying because that's not their target demographic in the first place.

Last edited by creampuff; 07-27-2012 at 07:31 AM.
07-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
But, you also are shooting the 85 on full frame (a focal length you love). You didn't like the 77 on APS-C and clearly haven't shot it on full frame (may change if Pentax comes out with a full frame camera eventually).
07-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Plastic mount .. this thing should be $129 IMO. But I'd pay like $179 tops.
07-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Plastic mount .. this thing should be $129 IMO. But I'd pay like $179 tops.
Truly fail.

The samples I've seen @ 1,8 looks quite fail too. My stone age Takumar 55 1,8 eats this joke of a lens for lunch. :-)
07-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But, you also are shooting the 85 on full frame (a focal length you love). You didn't like the 77 on APS-C and clearly haven't shot it on full frame (may change if Pentax comes out with a full frame camera eventually).

I did a comparisson between them with my FF in crop mode and the 85mm came out on top
FWIW, I loved 77 on APS-C too and I have shot it on full frame with my old Pentax film camera and my D700, but lets not go off topic here
07-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The EF85/1.8 beats the FA77 on both edge sharpness and bokeh. The FA77 has the wow factor and nice built quality though. My position is that the LIMITED lenses generally have not-bad optics but exaggerated by some due to their built quality. When you want to believe, you do.