Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, good or no?

I really would like to make a wide-angle my next lens. I've been considering this lens (Sigma 10-20) for a while now.

I'd like to hear from any current or past owners of this lens - what do you think?

From what I've gathered, it's generally considered a good lens, but I'm concerned about the bad copies people also seem to get - is Sigma quality control something to worry about?

Thanks very much.

01-27-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't own the 10-20 but have researched it quite a lot recently. The vast majority of owners seem very pleased with the lens, although as you mentioned there has been some sample variation. I wouldn't let this deter you - the 10-20 is currently the top of my "Next lens to buy" list

simon
01-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have one, and it is excellent,
01-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #4

I have one and I really love it. It does have its weaknesses: a bit soft wide open, edge distortion at wide end, can't stack filters on it, lens cap that can't be used with the hood on. Despite all that, it hasn't left my camera since I got it.

01-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one and it has become my favourite travel lens.

My previous widest lens was my Petax 18-35 FAJ lens that was the origonal Kit lens for *ist and *istD cameras.

With the ASP-C sensor of a DSLR it was never wide enough for me. I used it with my PZ-1 for ultra wide angle shots until I got the Sigma 10-20.

The 10-20 now is on camera for about 20% of my shots overall, witrh 12% of all my shots being taken at 10mm
01-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I've since found a couple other threads re this lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/9333-anyone-us...m-ex-dc-3.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11523-sigma-10-20-a-2.html

Anyone out there have a bad copy?

01-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi jsherman999

Try this post and click on the link below to enjoy a choice selection of images on the Flickr site that were taken using
Sigma's 10-20mm rectilinear wide-zoom lens. Incidentally, at the time of writing, there are currently 29,448 photos for you to see on Flickr taken with this extraordinary optic....that ought to keep you occupied for a while ! They are best viewed by selecting either the 'All Sizes' (magnification) icon above each photo or 'Looks better LARGER' option a few lines under the picture

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/148508-post19.html

If you have an 'eye' for composing spectacular landscapes or photographing architectural interiors, then Sigma's 10-20mm would undoubtedly 'fit the bill' admirably. IMHO it's a fantastic lens for the money and unless you are unfortunate enough to obtain a faulty example, I can't imagine that you would be disappointed in any way....just my 0.2 cents worth.......

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 01-27-2008 at 01:58 PM.
01-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
what mostly behind your decision ,when you make your choice between two very close lenses as Pentax 1-17 and Sigma 10-20?

01-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No comparison between the Pentax 10-17, which is a true Fisheye lens, and the Sigma 10-20, which is a rectilinear wideangle lens. Of course there will still be some barrel distortion at the 10 end of the Sigma (and this can be largely corrected if you don't want it there, using software such as PTLens), but the Sigma is not a fisheye lens. The pentax is for special effects mainly.
01-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks confused. Some incredible stuff. The 10-20 looks like a winner.
01-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
CWL

I have this lens and used it alot. It is a must have for a trip. But try to avoid shooting people at 10mm, unless you want that person looks like an "E.T." in the photo. At 15mm - 20mm, the distortion is low. However, the distortion at 10mm sometimes helps to exaggerate the object size and perspectives which produce striking images. This lens is quite sharp as well. Use it with a circular polarizer on sunny days, you have a winner for landscape photos!
01-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Love it! It's very tricky to use, and if you're not careful, you'll get something like

but if you are careful, you can get something like

Also, take care to keep unwanted body parts of out the frame!

I think you'll enjoy it!
01-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
was the last photo intentional or did you forget your size 16 shoes?
01-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

(1)I wear a size 8 (on a good day), I'm only 5'1", and (2)Totally intentional.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
was the last photo intentional or did you forget your size 16 shoes?
01-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
what mostly behind your decision ,when you make your choice between two very close lenses as Pentax 1-17 and Sigma 10-20?
The intended use would dictate which one you'd be happy with. I definitely would not consider the Pentax fisheye to be a special effects lens, although you could limit yourself by only using it this way. I owned both lenses last summer and found, for my use, the fisheye was far better in photographing interior scenes, especially where you want to include the entire room. Recently, a friend borrowed my setup for an industrial shoot that included a machine shop and some office shots. Mounted on his other camera was a zoom that was 17mm at the wide end. His opinion, after he was finished, was that the fisheye was a necessity in this type of photography. The distortion was there, but was not obvious or disturbing in the least.

An unexpected use for the lens has become any type of gathering of family & friends- you can capture the entire mood of the party. To my eyes, the rectilinear lens has quite a lot of shear toward the edges of the frame whereas the fisheye's curvature distortion is not as disturbing for interior photographs. Now, with exterior photography, especially architectural, quite the opposite was true. Of course, over time, you learn to use each of the lenses- when and how to position things in the frame- and your photography gets much better.

For me, the fisheye gets the nod for interior photography in smaller spaces. The rectilinear lens is indispensable for general all-around use. One certainly didn't replace the other for me.

Mark