Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Vintage Pentax portrait lenses w/ aperture mode ?

Can anyone tell me if pentax or any third party company made an older manual focus lens with at Least F/2.8 that works in Aperture mode ? I'm trying to find a fast sharp portrait Lens for a beginner. It can be a prime or a zoom lens. I like the 100 & 135 ranges. I have an 85mm f/2.0 right now that I love, but a 100 or 135 would be great ! Thanks in advance for the advice.

07-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

All the lenses in the A-series are manual focus, and work with the aperture control in the body.

Also, any m42 lenses will work in aperture mode, but will require you to stop the camera down on the lens, and will darken the viewfinder when doing so.
07-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look here: Pentax-A Prime Lenses. There is a 100mm f/2.8 as well as a 135mm f/2.8 There is also 135mm f/1.8 but that one is a little harder to come by.
07-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The KA mount (contacts for the camera to set aperture, manual focus) will cost you some money. People are willing to pay a lot for that feature and the lens supply is lower. The Pentax-A 135mm f2.8 might be the cheapest and easiest to find. It doesn't have as good a reputation as other Pentax 135s but shouldn't be terrible. The Pentax-A 100mm f2.8 (non-macro) should be great if you can find one. The Pentax-A 135mm f1.8 is a good lens if you have excess lottery winnings.

If you didn't already have an 85mm, there's a lens sold under several brands (Samyang, Vivitar, Bower, Rokinon) that is worth thinking about. It's an 85mm f1.4, manual focus, KA mount.

Some of the lenses in that focal range are designed as macro lenses, for closeup work. Macro capability doesn't mean these lenses can't work for portraits. They will be more expensive because macro is also a desirable feature, but if a macro is in your lens plan, maybe it's worth it. I use a Tamron 90mm f2.5 but that's again pretty close to your 85/2.

07-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
Can anyone tell me if pentax or any third party company made an older manual focus lens with at Least F/2.8 that works in Aperture mode ? I'm trying to find a fast sharp portrait Lens for a beginner. It can be a prime or a zoom lens. I like the 100 & 135 ranges. I have an 85mm f/2.0 right now that I love, but a 100 or 135 would be great ! Thanks in advance for the advice.
Do you plan to use flash? If not, any K lens can work with the green button or stopped down metering.
07-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Do you plan to use flash? If not, any K lens can work with the green button or stopped down metering.
Yep, I don't even bother with auto exposure if the lens is not auto focus. It's easier just to turn the aperture ring and push the green button...

Thanks

Randy
07-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
M-mode with stop down meter works like aperture priority, except that metering is done manually by pressing green button.
I often choose to use AF lenses the same way (in M-mode with green button configured to set shutter speed).