Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

14mm review confusion

When reading the 14mm comparison that was just posted it seemed obvious that the Rokinon came out way better with regard to CA than the Pentax. It even states in the article:
QuoteQuote:
The Rokinon was the clearly better in this area. Not only did it have very limited chromatic aberration wide open, but it was completely clear by F4.0. The Pentax DA 14mm, on the other hand, clearly displayed chromatic aberration at F4.0 but it did improved significantly beyond F5.6.
However, when it came to the review ratings the Pentax scored a 9 on CA and it says
QuoteQuote:
The DA 14mm is a well-built lens that produces good images if stopped down. The lens handles well and has almost no chromatic aberrations.
The Rokinon scored a 6 on CA.

Is this a mistake in the review or am I missing something? It seems the results and tests were mixed up at some point.

07-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a samyang AKA Vivitar 14/2.8 and I can attest that with respect to CA it is excellent, but has some considerable barrel distortion I don,t have a DA14 but my understanding is that it has a little more CA but virtually no distortion.

Nothing is perfect.
07-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have a samyang AKA Vivitar 14/2.8 and I can attest that with respect to CA it is excellent, but has some considerable barrel distortion I don,t have a DA14 but my understanding is that it has a little more CA but virtually no distortion.

Nothing is perfect.
I believe OP is just saying that the review says the Rokinon had no CA, but was given a bad CA score, while the DA had some CA, and was given an exceptional CA score.
07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Haven't noticed any CA with my Rokinon 14mm. Superb lens.

07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I believe OP is just saying that the review says the Rokinon had no CA, but was given a bad CA score, while the DA had some CA, and was given an exceptional CA score.
in re-reading the post, yes, and it seems the scores don't reflect the experience / reputation of the lens but the reviews do.

Note however, this is not the first time i have seen reviews and scores out of wack.

a long time ago i saw a comparison of the K10D against the same sensor in both nikon and sony, along with a 10 mp canon body.

in every aspect, in the individual scores the pentax was equal to (image quality etc...) or better than (user interface, menus, etc...) but had the lowest score of all the cameras. Can you say Advertising Revenue Influence!