Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

DA* 50-135 Not Happy

Hello all, I just got a new DA* 50-135 for my K5. My purchase of this lens was for taking shots of my daughters Theater Team. I think the lens might be defective. I was aware of the slow focus before I ordered it. Boy is it slow! I wouldn't mind but it is not locking focus all the time. It is very frustrating. I have tried it in all kinds of light conditions and it hunts back and forth and jitters sometimes. Once in a while it locks focus. And it is also front focusing. I had to make a camera fine adjustment of 10 to get a decent focused shot. I am starting to regret this move to Pentax. So far I am not happy with the AWB of the K5 and having to fine tune every lens that I use. Most of my shots are also underexposed so I am constantly adjusting the exposure compensation ( which I know I should anyway ) but it is pretty off. Tried the 35 f2.4 and have problems with the White Balance in low light it is totally off with that lens. Weird, but the kit lens does not have the AWB problem in fact the kit 18-55 WR is the only lens that has performed decent except that it is not that sharp. Sorry for my rant, I am just a little frustrated being that I sold my other Camera already and only have a little more time before I can return the K5. I love the camera build. size and weight, the controls and weather resistance but if I have to work so hard to get decent shots it's not worth it. Is it possible that the K5 is faulty or more likely the 50-135? I

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by djrocks66; 07-27-2012 at 12:00 PM.
07-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not normal for this lens to hunt back and forth all the time, even in decent lighting. Mine locks focus in slightly low to decent lighting or better without hunting. How slow is your lens? I would post a video of it. As far as the jitters goes, it happens sometimes in low lighting which I know can be frustrating. It's also not normal for backfocus or frontfocus of course, mine has backfocus problem and I have to set it at +10 to get it to be perfect (Thank god it's at the max of +10 and not more). As far as AWB and shots being overexposed, I don't have that problem at all. It's kind of rare seeing someone posting about a Pentax overexposure as Pentax bodies are known to underexpose. Sorry I can't help you further buddy. (EDIT: Nvm you fixed the wording, changing overexpose to underexpose)

Here's my 50-135's speed.

Last edited by LeDave; 07-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.
07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my husband bought the same lens and the first 1 he got was,to put it mildly bad, so we sent it back...i could never find the proper adjustment for the lens it was that far out of wack...we sent it back and the second one is awesome...i think you should send it back and ask for another...maybe you got the one we sent back...good luck but it really is a great lens!!!
07-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
my husband bought the same lens and the first 1 he got was,to put it mildly bad, so we sent it back...i could never find the proper adjustment for the lens it was that far out of wack...we sent it back and the second one is awesome...i think you should send it back and ask for another...maybe you got the one we sent back...good luck but it really is a great lens!!!
Thanks for the reply, Did you happen to get it at B&H?

07-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
It's not normal for this lens to hunt back and forth all the time, even in decent lighting. Mine locks focus in slightly low to decent lighting or better without hunting. How slow is your lens? I would post a video of it. As far as the jitters goes, it happens sometimes in low lighting which I know can be frustrating. It's also not normal for backfocus or frontfocus of course, mine has backfocus problem and I have to set it at +10 to get it to be perfect (Thank god it's at the max of +10 and not more). As far as AWB and shots being overexposed, I don't have that problem at all. It's kind of rare seeing someone posting about a Pentax overexposure as Pentax bodies are known to underexpose. Sorry I can't help you further buddy.

Here's my 50-135's speed.
Pentax K-5 & DA* 50-135 f/2.8 AF Speed Test - YouTube

Thanks for your reply. I meant to say underexposed
07-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes
07-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hope more people reply, sorry to hear about your disappointment in the switch to Pentax =( Hopefully you'll get everything figured out whether you are switching back or staying.

07-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Hope more people reply, sorry to hear about your disappointment in the switch to Pentax =( Hopefully you'll get everything figured out whether you are switching back or staying.
Thank you
07-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
Hello all, I just got a new DA* 50-135 for my K5. My purchase of this lens was for taking shots of my daughters Theater Team. I think the lens might be defective. I was aware of the slow focus before I ordered it. Boy is it slow! I wouldn't mind but it is not locking focus all the time. It is very frustrating. I have tried it in all kinds of light conditions and it hunts back and forth and jitters sometimes. Once in a while it locks focus. And it is also front focusing. I had to make a camera fine adjustment of 10 to get a decent focused shot. I am starting to regret this move to Pentax. So far I am not happy with the AWB of the K5 and having to fine tune every lens that I use. Most of my shots are also underexposed so I am constantly adjusting the exposure compensation ( which I know I should anyway ) but it is pretty off. Tried the 35 f2.4 and have problems with the White Balance in low light it is totally off with that lens. Weird, but the kit lens does not have the AWB problem in fact the kit 18-55 WR is the only lens that has performed decent except that it is not that sharp. Sorry for my rant, I am just a little frustrated being that I sold my other Camera already and only have a little more time before I can return the K5. I love the camera build. size and weight, the controls and weather resistance but if I have to work so hard to get decent shots it's not worth it. Is it possible that the K5 is faulty or more likely the 50-135? I

Thanks for listening.
Before you think it's all the lens faults or doing all the micro adjustment, how are you focusing?
The reason I ask is that the red AF indicators on the viewfinder may not be where the camera is truly focusing. Also, the center focus point is really huge...
anything in the ( ) frame will cause it to show focus has been achieved. The consequence for this is that you may be focusing on your daughter's eyes, but the camera is really focused on the guy behind her.

Edited to add:

Here is a recent thread, with links to past threads which go thru all the gory details of what I explained. It is definitely recommended reading for anyone that has been frustrated by the K-5's AF performance.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/193291-yet-another-auto-focus-...-my-k-5-a.html
07-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Before you think it's all the lens faults or doing all the micro adjustment, how are you focusing?
The reason I ask is that the red AF indicators on the viewfinder may not be where the camera is truly focusing. Also, the center focus point is really huge...
anything in the ( ) frame will cause it to show focus has been achieved. The consequence for this is that you may be focusing on your daughter's eyes, but the camera is really focused on the guy behind her.

Wow! if that is true that really stinks. Whats the point of having focus dots if the camera doesn't focus at the point? The thing that is happening with the 50-135 is the lens will try to focus, it goes back and forth but doesn't lock, the light that lights when focus is achieved in the viewfinder will blink and if I let go of the shutter button and press it again it will lock focus. If that makes sense? Now that I adjusted the micro-adjust to +10 the focus point where I am choosing is sharp but I still have that focus hunting with no lock problem. I use center point focus like I have with every camera I have owned.

Edited to add:

Here is a recent thread, with links to past threads which go thru all the gory details of what I explained. It is definitely recommended reading for anyone that has been frustrated by the K-5's AF performance.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/193291-yet-another-auto-focus-...-my-k-5-a.html
I will read this thanks
07-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
Hello all, I just got a new DA* 50-135 for my K5. My purchase of this lens was for taking shots of my daughters Theater Team.
I use my 50-135 for my daughters dances, school theater and my sons bball and soccer games.

Focus is not super fast but focus hunting back and forth is not something I have seen. Photography is only a hobby for me and this lens more than suits my needs.
07-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My first lens was so bad it was unusable, the second one is excellent.
07-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Shoot the DA*50-135 on AF-C not AF-S. Try it, it worked for me, no more frustration in waiting for it to fuss and fiddle confirming lock. Also I dial in +0.3 EV whenever I use this lens.