Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

FA77 Limited and FA 43 Limited

I apologize if there is already a thread about this, but I cannot seem to locate it. I'm trying to install Marumi Super DHG Protection filters on my FA77 and FA43 lenses and can't seem to get it done with the built in lens hoods. Installed on my FA31 without a problem. Can someone help me with this please? Many thanks!

07-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
I apologize if there is already a thread about this, but I cannot seem to locate it. I'm trying to install Marumi Super DHG Protection filters on my FA77 and FA43 lenses and can't seem to get it done with the built in lens hoods. Installed on my FA31 without a problem. Can someone help me with this please? Many thanks!
The FA31mm takes a 58mm filter, while the FA77 and FA43 use a smaller 49mm filter. So, you'll have to either buy a 49mm filter or a 49-58mm step-up ring. However, the step-up ring will interfere with the hoods of the lenses.
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
CMG

Original Poster
Hi and thanks. I have 49mm filters for both the FA43 and FA77. I just can figure out how I can screw the filters on without getting fingerprints all over the filter. The shape of the hood on the FA31 makes it easy to get the 58mm filter on. So, I have the correct sized, just can't see how to attach them to the FA43 and FA77.
07-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First, be sure you're not attaching the filter to the hood, but to the threads on the front of the lens. On the FA77 retract the built-in hood, then thread the filter on. On the FA43 you have to remove the hood and then attach the filter.

Oh, and if for some reason you can't help but touch the filter's glass, then just put a 49mm cap on the filter when you put it on the camera.

07-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry, but the FA43 has no built-in hood. If it has a hood, simply remove it. You just grip the filter by its metal rim, place it over the filter ring, twist it a little anti-clockwise, until the threads go together, then turn clockwise until you feel resistance. With the FA77, as long as the hood is retracted, you should have absolutely no problem in doing the same.
07-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
CMG

Original Poster
Thanks a million! OK, I got the filter on the FA77 by pushing in the hood...great! How do I remove the hood from the FA43?
By they way, attaching a lens cap to the filter is the kind of pragmatic brilliance that is far too often overlooked!
07-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
Thanks a million! OK, I got the filter on the FA77 by pushing in the hood...great! How do I remove the hood from the FA43?
By they way, attaching a lens cap to the filter is the kind of pragmatic brilliance that is far too often overlooked!
Glad you liked the lens cap idea.

The FA43mm filter screws off just like the filter. Screw the hood off, screw on the filter, and then screw the hood to the filter, assuming, as it likely does, that the filter has female threads.

07-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
CMG

Original Poster
Thanks! My FA43 definitely has a non-retracting hood built in. I don't even see filter threads on the lens. On the FA77 I pushed the retracting hood in to reveal the filter threads and then attached the filter. Can't see how I get this done on the FA43.
07-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
CMG

Original Poster
The hood on my FA43 does not seem to want to budge in either direction and I'm kind of afraid to use too much force. There has to be a way to do this....help?
07-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the FA43 only accepts a screw-in hood? If so, please grab it with one hand and the lens with the other and pull it counter-clockwise. There's no reason it shouldn't unscrew.
07-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It does unscrew. However, others have said the hood is on pretty tight. Just make sure you're turning it in the right direction - righty tighty, lefty loosey.
07-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
CMG

Original Poster
Did I mention your pragmatic brilliance? Mission accomplished! Thanks Wasser!!!!!!
I'm now seriously considering a tattoo that reads "Righty Tighty...Lefty Loosey"!
07-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA43's hood can be a little perverse, at times. I sometimes find myself unconsciously trying very hard to unscrew it, without success, and then relaxing my grip and finding it unscrews quite easily. This, I imagine, is the result of its shape and material thickness, allowing it to distort the thread if you apply too much pressure on the sides of the hood. If this isn't the case with yours, it may be that it's been over-tightened previously, or someone has used a thread-lock cement on it!

Try gripping one side between thumb and forefinger, and seeing if it will turn for you, but be careful not to distort the shape whilst doing so, as I think that's the reason why they can be a little difficult sometimes.

Edit: all fixed while I was writing! Glad you've solved it.
07-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
CMG

Original Poster
Yes, and thank you for your excellent advice! I was concerned about gripping it too tightly and doing some kind of damage. I didn't notice any glue or cement of any kind on the threads, I think it was just tightened really well at the factory. Now it is cooperating!!
07-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Why on earth would you want to compromise the optical brilliance of those lenses with filters