Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Personally, I'd go with a more high-end lens like a DA 40 Limited, or (even better) DA 21 Limited, or (even better-better) FA 31 Limited. Get a taste of what the "Limited thing" is all about and be done with it. The 18-135 will serve your on-going utility grade lens needs for many years. Face it, you are going to get into 'Limiteds' eventually anyway, so... Why not start out right with a killer lens, now?

... my 2 cents...
I'd rather buy a bunch of cheap lenses to find what ranges I enjoy and/or find useful before dropping cash on a limited or * then regretting it because it spends more time boxed then on the camera.

08-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The new 50/1.8 is still an unknown but I'm very happy with my 35/2.4 especially for the price. I also just snagged an FA 50/1.4 from the marketplace here. I was a little concerned about the sharpness of the 50/1.4 at wider apertures, but apparently a lens hood helps that a lot, so I also ordered the matching Pentax collapsing rubber hood. I was tempted by the Sigma 50/1.4 but I decided that since 50mm is a "portrait" focal length on APS-C, the less-sharp FA 50/1.4 would make for more flattering portraits.

Last edited by msatlas; 08-01-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo
08-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'd rather buy a bunch of cheap lenses to find what ranges I enjoy and/or find useful before dropping cash on a limited or * then regretting it because it spends more time boxed then on the camera.
Essentially what I did (using M lenses though) as well, and much prefered going that route. Chances are that when starting out that you won't notice the difference between an M, FA, and DA*, or a limited for that matter anyways.
08-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #19

Original Poster
Personally, I'd go with a more high-end lens like a DA 40 Limited, or (even better) DA 21 Limited, or (even better-better) FA 31 Limited. Get a taste of what the "Limited thing" is all about and be done with it. The 18-135 will serve your on-going utility grade lens needs for many years. Face it, you are going to get into 'Limiteds' eventually anyway, so... Why not start out right with a killer lens, now?

... my 2 cents...
I've heard this called "Lens Addiction"....is it not.

08-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

... my 2 cents...
More expensive doesn't equal better. Both the DA50f1.8 and DA35f2.4 take outstanding photos and they were based on outstanding lenses (the M/A/F50f1.7 and the FA35f2). I have both an A50f1.7 and a DA40 and I think the A50 is better even at f8 and it also has something that the DA40 doesn't (big aperture). My DA40 isn't going anywhere though since there are times I want a little wider lens, AF or the tiny size.

The one area that DA35f2.4 and DA50f1.8 don't compare to the ltd's is build quality but that is because they are cheap, entry level models.
08-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Esky Quote
I've heard this called "Lens Addiction"....is it not.
Actually, starting with the best (say, FA 31) is the antidote to lens addiction.

LBA occurs when you start cheap and fool yourself into thinking you can continue on the cheap until you find a diamond in the rough that's better than the holy grail. Eventually, you succumb and get the 31, then chalk up your prior failures, frustrations and money-wasted to 'experience.'

All I'm suggesting is that it's possible to learn from the experience of others.

Be smart... start with the best and forget the rest.

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
More expensive doesn't equal better.

Agree... Why spend more (time, energy, money) than need be?

As I was just sayin'...
08-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Actually, starting with the best (say, FA 31) is the antidote to lens addiction.

LBA occurs when you start cheap and fool yourself into thinking you can continue on the cheap until you find a diamond in the rough that's better than the holy grail. Eventually, you succumb and get the 31, then chalk up your prior failures, frustrations and money-wasted to 'experience.'

All I'm suggesting is that it's possible to learn from the experience of others.

Be smart... start with the best and forget the rest.

As I was just sayin'...
And the 31 is such a wonderful lens to start with. Mine rarely leaves my camera. I love using it indoors, and how it renders people and things is so wonderful.
08-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

As I was just sayin'...
I don't understand. We're saying completely different things.

08-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're forgetting the uber Pentax 50, the SMC A50 f/1.2
You have the zoom with AF for the standard run of the mill stuff but I find that if I really want to get in touch with my photography, I dig out the camera, put on a single lens (and the 50 f/1.2 invariably gets the nod) and flick to MF and M on the dial. Then go out take pictures. If you want sharpness, put it at f/4, if you want portraits, put it f/2.0, if you want to visit bokeh and dept of field that other lenses cannot touch, flick it to f/1.2 and slow down, focus, take the shot, maybe have a look and then start looking for other subjects to be taken @ f/1.2. Next thing you know, the days gone, your memory card(s) are full and you're rushing home to look at the shots on a big screen.
08-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #25
Site Supporter

If you want an af lens, I would say go with either an FA 50/1.4 or F 50/1.7. There is a search feature for lenses and bodies at the Pentax Photo Gallery.
08-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #26

Original Poster
So I finally took delivery of my DA 50mm and DA 35mm and here are a couple of samples. Keep in mind the amateur nature of my ability and experience in your comments please.
First with the DA 35mm second with DA 50mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo