Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

35 vs 40 - Do they compete?

Do the 35 and 40 Limited's compete or conflict with each other? Why would Pentax make two DA limiteds so close in focal length? Is there a reason that anyone would want to own both? Macro aside, is one preferable over the other? Apologies if this has been asked and answered - I searched and could not find anything. Thanks. Glenn

07-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Why would Pentax make two DA limiteds so close in focal length?
Because Pentax knows Pentaxians suffer from LBA.

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Is there a reason that anyone would want to own both?
Yes LBA.

In all seriousness I have only tried the DA40 and besides image quality the small size is a big selling (or buying factor). Even though the 35 is supposed to be sharper. Not to mention that the DA40 is also cheaper.
07-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From a simple focal length viewpoint, yes they compete. IMHO 5mm at that length is hard to tell apart. 5mm at UWA is a different story, though.

However there are distinguishing features, not sure if they are enough to actually own both but certainly enough to chose one or the other for your style.
The DA 40mm f/2.8 is just so darn tiny you have to have one just to show it off. At only 90g I don't even know it is on the k-5.
The DA 35mm f/2.8 is bigger, heavier, more expensive, does macro and may be sharper.

I think there is a market for both, they are different enough some will want one or the other.

And of course anyone with serious LBA will just get both anyway. Just because.....
07-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a 35mm f2.4 (non-ltd) and later got a 40mm XS with the K-01. At first I thought the two lenses are so similar in focal length and other features I wouldn't notice a difference, but now that I have them.. there are plenty differences.
The 35mm is slightly faster and has less purple fringing, the 40mm XS is slightly sharper when focusing on subjects that are far away. The 40mm is a pancake and has really fast AF.
The 35mm ltd is a macro lens, so presumably that is what sets it apart from others. The focal length difference between 35 and 40 is also not unimportant.
The differences between the 40mm ltd and XS appear to be mostly cosmetic, but that is important since the XS comes with a camera that emphasizes aesthetics.
So I would say each of these lenses has some big feature or at least many small ones that sets it apart from the others. Its up to the buyer to decide what they want, though.

07-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find the focal length difference less important on 135 than on APS-C. 35mm feels like a true "normal" lens to me on the cropped sensor. On 135, 40mm seems to work nicely as a semi-wide.
07-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA40 gives you smaller size, lighter weight, cheaper price, faster focus, noticeably narrower FOV.

DA35 gives you macro, slightly wider FOV.

I don't see them as any more similar than any other two lenses of kind-of-sort-of-similar focal lengths.