Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally Got an UltraWide! Scored a Tokina 17mm!

Well, I'm finally getting into the Ultrawide side of photography. As usual though, it has to be the cheap way, so off to EBay I went.

I found a Tokina 17mm F3.5 Prime lens and have spent the last few days pouring over reviews and seeing just how great this little lens performs.

Tonight I WON that lens! Maybe I paid a little too much, but it looks mint and is in a P/K mount. Can't wait to get started shooting with that lens. Now to get the right adapter for my Cokin filter holder.

07-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This one? NICE VINTAGE JAPAN TOKINA RMC 17MM F 3:5 CAMERA LENS W/ CASE | eBay

Not a bad price at all. Last fall, I sold one for more than that very quickly after listing it (on this forum). You should have no trouble unloading it for at least that much once you decide you REALLY need the 10-20mm zoom or something. (That's what I am saving for.)
07-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've seen them go for much more so you should be happy with that for sure.
07-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's the one! It looks great, everything but the dust on the front, but luckily it has a UV filter attached, so I think the lens itself will be clean. Looks like it was put away barely used.

I'd REALLY love to get the Sigma 10-20mm but it is just too much money for me. Some reviews I've read state that it is even better than the Sigma at 17mm though. Here's a thread over on the manual lens forum about this lens. Some excellent photos: RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5

07-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
are you use it on film camera?
if on digital it is only 1mm wider than your kit lens (assume you have kit lens).
07-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I only had it for a short time, but seemed like a good lens. (I bought it for $100 knowing I could sell it for much more, but I couldn't have afforded to just be out the $100 at the time so sold it quickly.) It isn't quite "ultra-wide" on an APS-C sensor, but it is definitely "wide" anyway. In any case, at that price you can't go wrong...
07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll be using it with a K20D. I know it is only 1mm wider than the kit lens, but the kit lens isn't very good at 18mm where this lens is extremely sharp right to the edge, even on a full frame camera. The IQ of this lens also blows the kit lens at 18mm out of the water. It will be an excellent addition to my landscape photography.
07-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have had this Tokina since the 90īs. I bought it for one of my film cameras, but still have the lens.
It definitely is a good lens.
Pretty sharp even wide open. There is an improvement in contrast if you stop it down even a little. However, contrast can be increased in post-processing, and the lens can very well be used wide open.
It will certainly work well with an APS-C body. Would be really interesting to see how it performs with a FF digital camera.

07-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
I have had this Tokina since the 90īs. I bought it for one of my film cameras, but still have the lens.
It definitely is a good lens.
Pretty sharp even wide open. There is an improvement in contrast if you stop it down even a little. However, contrast can be increased in post-processing, and the lens can very well be used wide open.
It will certainly work well with an APS-C body. Would be really interesting to see how it performs with a FF digital camera.
The thread I linked to earlier has some shot using a Full Frame Canon 1Ds. It looks to work GREAT full frame, so it should even be better with a cropped sensor (even sharper corners).

Here are a couple photos taken from the other forum (these are not mine)

08-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The lens arrived today. Looks like it was rarely used, near mint.

Here are a couple test shots wide open. This lens isn't a macro lens, but it focuses down to around 9 inches. Pretty sharp for wide open!

And finally one of tonight's sunset off the back porch. I'm going to go out Sunday and see how well it works up in the mountains. I need to get an adapter to use my Cokin P filter holder though, so they won't be as good as they could be (non filtered).

08-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry to be debbie-downer, but the bokeh on the sunflower shot is just awful.
08-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a few photos I took with this lens yesturday. I still have a lot to learn about wide angle landscapes (not sure if I like my 28mm and 50mm more).

08-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Sorry to be debbie-downer, but the bokeh on the sunflower shot is just awful.
I have to disagree with debbie, I like the bokeh! And i like the landscapes more, love the ones with blue skies and white clouds. The lens seems more than competent based on that sample!
08-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #14

I'm disagreeing with Unsinkable as well. I really like the bokeh in the sunflower shot!
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Each to their own, but bokeh to me should be smooth and undistracting, allowing the subject to pop. In the sunflower shot the bokeh looks like a fringe-lit electrical storm that competes with the subject for attention.

I agree that the landscapes look great.