Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 138
FA Limited Lenses - Manual Aperture

I had my FA-31 in my K-5 in Av mode....just decided to rotate the aperture ring to see what it was like....pressed the little release button and rotated it. Is this OK to do? I mean, did I do any damage to the lens by doing this?

07-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Senior Member
paulusje's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 135
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
I had my FA-31 in my K-5 in Av mode....just decided to rotate the aperture ring to see what it was like....pressed the little release button and rotated it. Is this OK to do? I mean, did I do any damage to the lens by doing this?
This is perfectly ok
The thing with Av mode is that the camera will measure the exposure with the lens wide open and it will not stop down the diaphragm.
If you want to manually set your aperture by turning the ring you should use M instead of Av. You can use the green button to stop down the lens and get a good exposure.
Please read this for more info: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...ml#post1140019
07-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,740
Using aperture ring is not fully supported on Pentax DSLR, so as long as the aperture ring has A-position its usually much better to use camera to control aperture.
07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
CMG
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 138
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Using aperture ring is not fully supported on Pentax DSLR, so as long as the aperture ring has A-position its usually much better to use camera to control aperture.
I was just worried that I might have done some damage to the lens.....

07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
CMG
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 138
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulusje Quote
This is perfectly ok
The thing with Av mode is that the camera will measure the exposure with the lens wide open and it will not stop down the diaphragm.
If you want to manually set your aperture by turning the ring you should use M instead of Av. You can use the green button to stop down the lens and get a good exposure.
Please read this for more info: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...ml#post1140019
Thank you!
07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,703
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
I was just worried that I might have done some damage to the lens.....
Not since you pressed the release button before turning the aperture ring.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, fa limited lenses, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
k1000 Manual Lenses Stuck on Widest Aperture cuteditpaste Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 07-20-2012 05:23 PM
Do you use only manual focus lenses?Do a lot of folks use only manual lenses? heralu Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 01-05-2011 04:06 PM
manual focus, auto aperture 55? Impartial Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 10-12-2010 05:36 PM
choosing aperture for video using old manual lenses eyou Video and Pentax HDSLRs 15 05-22-2010 05:19 PM
Any way to reduce on-board flash output with manual aperture lenses? Eruditass Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 04-08-2010 10:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top