Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA again - my next prime lens?

While this might all sound kind of weird, I need to write this out and hear some opinions about my next move lens wise.

I've pretty much transitioned from zooms to primes, with the only zoom I now own being the DA* 60-250 which I will never part with. I've been primarily a long lens shooter being I live in the middle of the mountains and love shooting all kinds of wildlife. My current lens lineup is in my signature. My FA*300 4.5 lens is by far my most used lens, plus as you can probably tell I like my macro lenses also.

Wanting to expand my horizons a bit, I seem to have this urge to try a limited prime lens. Build quality is very important to me when it comes to my gear - I have to like the feel of holding it my hands to enjoy using it for some reason.

I think I want to go wide as in a DA 15 ltd, and that would not overlap any of my existing lenses. But, I don't have much opportunity to shoot sweeping landscapes as I do 99% of my shooting here at home in the woods.

The DA and FA Limiteds have got my attention right now, but figuring out what focal length is very hard. I am just starting to use my DA 35 2.4 more lately but again sometimes feel something wider would be nice. The FA limiteds come in 31,43, and 77mm - the 31 and 43 kind of surrounding my present 35mm. So that leaves the FA77. In the DA limited line, we have 15,21,35,40, & 70 - the only 2 that jump out to me are the 15 and 70.

I guess it comes down to the want to experiment with a >100mm prime but it is just very difficult to choose a focal length.

Edit to add: I just took a look at the last couple pages of the "15ltd controls my mind" thread, and there I see quite a few nice images taken in the woods with the 15 - I think this is narrowing it down for me kind of quickly. For some reason I had in my mind a 15mm would only be good for sweeping landscapes. Would still like to hear any opinions and input however.

Last edited by stormtech; 07-31-2012 at 06:29 PM.
07-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If I had a gap in my lineup (and I nearly do) the DA21 would be my first choice. I really like my manual 28mm and it's hard to consider letting go.. but the 21 would be a great fit between my 15 fisheye and 50 macro. It may not control one's mind like the DA15 but it does seem to affect the wrist, as many people claim it's hard to remove the 21mm from their camera bodies
07-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
"15ltd controls my mind"
And it does, so there is no use resisting, just buy the 15mm..............
07-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

DA15 or FA77 - both best in class and will give you something substantially different from what you have now.

07-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
DA15 or FA77 - both best in class and will give you something substantially different from what you have now.

Thanks for your input - I agree that these 2 focal lengths will give me something different from what I already have.
07-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
. . . . I think I want to go wide as in a DA 15 ltd, and that would not overlap any of my existing lenses. But, I don't have much opportunity to shoot sweeping landscapes as I do 99% of my shooting here at home in the woods. . . .
. . . . For some reason I had in my mind a 15mm would only be good for sweeping landscapes. . . .
I think you'll find that you can use the 15 for a lot more than sweeping landscapes. I actually prefer to use something that wide for near-far compositions. For me, at least, it's often too wide outdoors, unless there are some really dramatic clouds. Here are a few recent examples that are certainly not sweeping landscapes.

Inside the San Diego Museum of Art recently.

At Comic-Con in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. This is actually a pretty heavy crop, since what I originally intended did not work as I had hoped for. The lens is good enough that you can crop like this.

Just for reference, here's the full frame that the crop above was cut from.

Overall, the DA15 can be a pretty versatile lens. Of course, that said, I do really like the DA21 as well.
08-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your widest lens is the DA 35mm? I simply could not tolerate that.

08-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Your widest lens is the DA 35mm? I simply could not tolerate that.
I guess its about being comfortable with subject matter, and more importantly, your or your desired "perspective" of the same. I used to have an A28/2.8 that barely saw use. My 18-55 ALII has never seen the light of day since 2009/10, and my Zeiss 35/F2 is almost glued to my *istDS. Between the Zeiss and my 58mm Nokton, I find little use for anything else. Lately, though, I have been using my 135/2.5 cheap Takumar bayonet (its not that bad, don't roll your eyes) for a new bird feeder, courtesy Father's Day. I can't recall my last use of my M100/F2.8, even though its a great lens.

Personal preferences abound in the development of our skills, based on comfort zones.
08-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You need to experience life on the wide side.
DA15.
That is all.

Once you're hooked, look at the three amigos.
08-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If I had no wide angle lenses in my lineup I'd go first for the DA 21 rather than the DA 15. Yes, the DA 15 is a terrific lens (I own one), but I suspect you'll shoot more at 21 than 15. 15 is rather wide. It's a bit more of a specialty lens.
08-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree that whilst the 15mm is an excellent lens I do find it is often a bit too wide for many subjects. A recent trip into the hills resulted in me taking a couple of hundred landscapes which appeared stunning and dramatic at the time of shooing, but when I went through them on the computer I found that most of them were simply too wide and lost much of the impact I had experienced on the day. I then started on purchase decisions and narrowed down my choice to 21mm or 24mm - take a look at some of the pictures on this forum taken with the DA 21mm and the FA* 24mm and see if you can match up what would suit your typical subjects and style. That's what I did and it's costing me dearly - Hope this helps in some way!
08-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on the 21mm folks. I have wondered if the 15mm might be too wide being I've never used an UWA lens before. I will take a good look at the 21ltd.
08-01-2012, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The DA70 is a wonderful wee lens. I know the 77 is future proof should Pentax ever bring out a ff but I have been using the 70 more or more for landscape shots.

Couple of recent ones.

You can't go wrong with a 15 either - very nice little lens. The 15, 40 and 70 made a cracking little lightweight set that I could carry in a little waist bag. The 70 is comparable in sharpness to my 60-250. Too many nice lenses out there at the moment. The 40 &70 see far more action than my 31.
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Spectacular images. Feels like looking out a window. Where is this, and what time of the year - if you don't mind me asking?
08-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Cheers. Taken about 20 minutes apart at Ullswater on the 7th of July. First one is Glencoyne Bay and the other is from near to Stybarrow Crag. Sharpness of the 70 adds greatly to the feel of the images.