Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #46

Original Poster
Hi Steve, yes the lens is listed by itself as $549. The price i quote includes the price of the lens + shipping....

08-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ladybug Quote
Hi Steve, yes the lens is listed by itself as $549. The price i quote includes the price of the lens + shipping....
It says shipping included.

Pentax Wide Angle SMCP-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited Series 21590 B&H
08-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #48

Photos: Gallery
I know the OP already made a decision, but I'm going to post a link to the DA21 appreciation thread in hopes that more folks will start posting images there:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46831-post-you...s-here-11.html

I don't have any illusions of catching up with the DA15 thread, but this lens deserves more than the 11 pages in that thread so far. It may be partially due to the fact that it isn't listed under Lens Clubs on the forum's main menu. If anybody knows how to make that happen, that would be great. (If you can't tell, this is one of my two favorite lenses.)
08-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up on that thread math guy - I am torn between the 15 & 21 for my next lens purchase (very soon) and this will certainly help with my decision.

08-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by math guy Quote
I know the OP already made a decision, but I'm going to post a link to the DA21 appreciation thread in hopes that more folks will start posting images there:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46831-post-you...s-here-11.html

I don't have any illusions of catching up with the DA15 thread, but this lens deserves more than the 11 pages in that thread so far. It may be partially due to the fact that it isn't listed under Lens Clubs on the forum's main menu. If anybody knows how to make that happen, that would be great. (If you can't tell, this is one of my two favorite lenses.)
I've just added some photos to the thread. But I think adding it to a lens club would make it a lot more popular, I wasn't even aware of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for the heads up on that thread math guy - I am torn between the 15 & 21 for my next lens purchase (very soon) and this will certainly help with my decision.
I had both 15 and 21 lenses. Now I only have 21mm. My 15 had soft corners. Way too soft for my liking, funny enough only the top 2 corners were soft, but a lot, the bottom ones were sharp.
08-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I've just added some photos to the thread. But I think adding it to a lens club would make it a lot more popular, I wasn't even aware of it.

I had both 15 and 21 lenses. Now I only have 21mm. My 15 had soft corners. Way too soft for my liking, funny enough only the top 2 corners were soft, but a lot, the bottom ones were sharp.
Decentered da15s seems to be common. Usually the problem is right to left. You have to return them until you get a good copy.

Last edited by kenafein; 08-05-2012 at 08:49 AM.
08-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #52
Pentaxian

My 15 had soft corners. Way too soft for my liking, funny enough only the top 2 corners were soft, but a lot, the bottom ones were sharp.
If you're looking down obliquely on a flat scene,
focusing on the center,
field curvature may render the bottom corners sharp,
and the top corners soft.

Here is an image with a ZK 25/2.8 making use of that effect:

Last edited by lytrytyr; 08-05-2012 at 08:12 AM.
08-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #53

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. They demonstrate one thing I really like about the DA21 -- it's very practical. That is, it's not a specialty lens, but is instead very good in a variety of situations. For Jay Sherman, the DA15 is just as versatile; but I never really got the hang of using it the way he does. For me, if I don't have a strong subject in the foreground, I just get very boring images from the DA15. But the 21 is much more useful for me.

My DA15 has no problems with IQ -- just with the guy behind the camera. Of the few shots I've gotten from it that I felt like were good compositions, the IQ was great.
08-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If you're looking down obliquely on a flat scene,
focusing on the center,
field curvature may render the bottom corners sharp,
and the top corners soft.

Here is an image with a ZK 25/2.8 making use of that effect:
I don't take photos of brick walls to test for sharpness. I've tested the corners with CDAF, and no matter what I did. No matter how I focused or how far away, the top two corners were not sharp. I've tested it that way, since I'm aware of field curvature. Apparently I would get that effect thanks to misaligned glued lens element or some such thing.

Next time I consider getting 14-15mm prime I will look at it again and try to find sharp copy.

Some examples of this lens, in the first photo it even has a bit of a toy lens look:

I've a lot more photos, to prove that I had really bad copy.

Last edited by Nuff; 08-06-2012 at 03:06 AM.
08-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I know this is a troll, but I'll take the bait.

All the DA Ltds work well wide open, with maximum sharpness and especially minimal CA. You cannot say the same about the DA*16-50, even when it is stopped down to f/3.2. Which is only a fraction of a stop difference.

Unless you are intentionally trying to shoot soft, or chase bokeh, which is unlikely with a 21 mm, the f/3.2 max aperture is well suited for its purposes. If you are trying to shoot in low light, then I'd agree that this lens, just like any other lens, could be faster.
At 24mm a DA*16-50 has nearly the same center resolution and better corners at a faster aperture of 2.8!

At $600 for a used DA*16-50 it is far better value for money than the slow DA21

Last edited by selar; 08-06-2012 at 03:14 AM.
08-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The DA21 is a useless POS. Even the DA*16-50 zoom is faster than it.
Come on selar; I know you're not a troll, but this is quite possibly the silliest comment I have read on these forums. The DA*16-50 is *huge*, not to mention other areas where the DA21 kills it.

Speed isn't everything. The DA21 is a beautiful, tack sharp, compact prime with the same angle of view on APS-C as the fabled FA31 has on film. I would be willing to sell the other two lenses in my ultra-compact 3 lens kit (40 and 70), but not the 21.
08-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Seller, I don't care about charts. It seems to me that pentax has a bit of QA issues as with my 15mm above. My 21mm is tac sharp and photozone mentioned that they might have got bad copy.
08-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Do you know why there's a color difference in the snow between the pics? I've never gotten good results.
08-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #59
Pentaxian

When we were at EXPOsure at the Pentax both... we tried the 15 ltd. the DA*16-50 and the 31 ltd. We also shot with our own 21 ltd. The DA*16-50 failed to impress, Compared to the 15 and 21 combo. We also have the DA35 2.4 and FA 50 1.7. I can't even put a finger on why that's true... every thing from how the camera handles with the lens on it, to the final picture. At this point we're also questioning the 31 Ltd as well. We really like the 35 2.4. I guess it's great to have a fast zoom... but so far, the 50 1.7 is our only lens under 2, and we barely use it for it's low light capability. We have the DA 18-135 for a WR lens in that focal length, and I have to say, complaints aside, its a heck of a lens. To me, the DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135 have become something of the red haired orphans. To use them... I would have to stop using something I like.
08-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Some examples of this lens
Yes, there's definitely something wrong there.