Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
At 24mm a DA*16-50 has nearly the same center resolution and better corners at a faster aperture of 2.8!

At $600 for a used DA*16-50 it is far better value for money than the slow DA21
...and yet if i had both, i would reach for the DA21 in most every instance.

08-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At 24mm a DA*16-50 has nearly the same center resolution and better corners at a faster aperture of 2.8!

Compare the size of the 16-50 to the pancake. Granted, it is weather sealed, but it also has the dubious SDM.
08-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #63
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I don't take photos of brick walls to test for sharpness. I've tested the corners with CDAF, and no matter what I did. No matter how I focused or how far away, the top two corners were not sharp. I've tested it that way, since I'm aware of field curvature. Apparently I would get that effect thanks to misaligned glued lens element or some such thing.

Next time I consider getting 14-15mm prime I will look at it again and try to find sharp copy.

Some examples of this lens, in the first photo it even has a bit of a toy lens look:

I've a lot more photos, to prove that I had really bad copy.
Wow looks like a terrible copy. My copy seems much better than that. The corners remind me of the sample pics in photozone's 18-135mm review. Unbelievably soft. The 15mm is a great lens for its size, get a new one!
08-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Do you know why there's a color difference in the snow between the pics? I've never gotten good results.
Usually colour balance, cloud cover, sun position etc... I usually don't go for spot on colour balance, sometimes warmer and sometimes colder.

08-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Wow looks like a terrible copy. My copy seems much better than that. The corners remind me of the sample pics in photozone's 18-135mm review. Unbelievably soft. The 15mm is a great lens for its size, get a new one!
I'm off to Japan in few days, so I will have a go at trying few different copies in person to see if I can find one that I like. They have a lot of choice there
08-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #66
Site Supporter

What do the charts say about the DA*16-50 at 21 mm?

Or about the warranty on a used lens vs. a new Ltd?

Sorry, I just don't see the relevance of this comparison.
08-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #67
Site Supporter

right, with the SDM track record of the 16-50, I would recommend people ONLY buy it new and with a long warranty, never used.
08-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Why is it that everytime a Pentax lens gets a poor review on Photozone, everyone screams "Bad Copy"! Even if he did get a bad copy, what does that say about "Limited Lenses". After all these lenses are supposed to be hand assembled and checked, so how can there be bad copies? Or are there bad copies because they are hand made - the ones made on Friday afternoon and Monday morning being the bad ones? Perhaps there would be fewer bad copies if they were made by robots?
If there are bad copies of Limited lenses, thats a pretty big issue for me. I work in the Sydney CBD where there are plenty of camera shops, however, I very rarely come across Pentax lenses, let alone Pentax Limiteds. When I do, its a case of take the one copy we have in stock, or move on - its not like I have a few copies to choose from. Even worse, they have no stock and I have to wait a few weeks for the shop to order it and for a copy to come in, which may or may not be good. Or take the easy option and order from B&H and get it in a week (and pray that I dont get a bad copy).
I have no option but to rely on Photozone charts and reviews, as I cant just step into a Camera store and judge for myself. Klaus from Photozone is usually pretty spot on. A few months ago, he released a review of the FA43 LTD that didnt quite live up to the expectations. At the time everyone here said it was a bad copy, that it was because it wasnt a Silver copy, Vietnam copy etc. So I bought a silver MIJ FA 43, and guess what - it performs exactly as Klaus said it did. So from now on, I'm only buying lenses that get the Highly Recommended from Photozone, never mind if forum members sing the praises of a lens from the rooftops.

08-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #69
Veteran Member

selar, I'm in the same situation as you. I would go with B&H, I used them many times and they have great service. They even sent me different umbrella brackets for free, since the ones they sent me broke. When you get a lens, test it, if you are not happy, return it. With B&H it's easy, even for us in OZ.
08-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #70
gtl
Veteran Member

I'm off to Japan in few days, so I will have a go at trying few different copies in person to see if I can find one that I like. They have a lot of choice there
Check out mapcamera in Tokyo! Awesome service and patience. They speak English too. Enjoy the food too! I know I did.
08-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Thanks gtl, it's one of my regular destinations and I end up going there twice a year. I already have tickets booked for my next trip in January too.
This time I'm only staying in Tokyo for 1 night, since I will be exploring Takayama/Okinawa/Miyakojima. And yes, I will be dropping by mapcamera, since my gf needs a new camera too.
And Japanese isn't a problem either
08-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
right, with the SDM track record of the 16-50, I would recommend people ONLY buy it new and with a long warranty, never used.
The Tamron and Sigma competitors to the 16-50 are rated even better, smaller and lighter, and are obvious choices if you dont care for SDM or weather sealing. My point is, what use is a prime, when it is outperformed by zooms?
08-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #73
Site Supporter

selar, you are welcome to opinions based on bench tests. I prefer opinions based on real-world experience.

The Sigma EX DG 17-50 HSM is a fine lens. I shot it a lot over the first half of this year, but after getting the DA*16-50 I sold it on because the latter's performance was at least equivalent and I valued the weather sealing.
I used the DA*16-50 a great deal last month (Single in July challenge among other commitments), and although it is very versatile it does not go close to the IQ and (dare I say it?) Pixie Dust of the limited primes I own.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-07-2012 at 07:52 AM.
08-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #74
Veteran Member

selar, I'm in the same situation as you. I would go with B&H, I used them many times and they have great service. They even sent me different umbrella brackets for free, since the ones they sent me broke. When you get a lens, test it, if you are not happy, return it. With B&H it's easy, even for us in OZ.
Hi Nuff, how do you return the lens to B&H? I mean is there a designated address for us to return the lens to? How much does it cost to send the lens from Oz to B&H?
08-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I cost me ~ $85 to send back a DA*16-50 from Aus to US (incl insurance), and I had to do it for 2 copies, what a POS that lens was.