Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Twitch for that info. Pretty pricey TBH. Is that because the DA 16-50 is a heavy lens?

08-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That postage cost seems excessive Twitch.
I just sent a K10D (>2kg) to Texas and it cost me less than that. The DA*16-50 ain't that heavy.
08-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Da 21mm is a great lens for its light weight. And perhaps it is quite cute looking

Its bokeh is extremely ugly when it comes down to most highlight situations a lot worse than what we would expect from such limited lens line up. Again this lens has amazing colour using aperture wide open at night. Just a personal bias on this one.
08-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #79
Veteran Member

The safer option for us Aussies is to buy the Sigma 17-50/2.8 by getting CR Kennedy to price match best online price by using their contact page Contact Us | Photographic, Digital, Medical, Surveying, Surveillance, Digital Audio. CR Kennedy. Australia. I have done this for Sigma 8-16mm with success. According to this review DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - The Bottom Line - PentaxForums.com, the sigma is the better lens.

08-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That postage cost seems excessive Twitch.
I just sent a K10D (>2kg) to Texas and it cost me less than that. The DA*16-50 ain't that heavy.
Did you insure it for $900 though? That was ~$20 of the cost
08-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #81
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Why is it that everytime a Pentax lens gets a poor review on Photozone, everyone screams "Bad Copy"! Even if he did get a bad copy, what does that say about "Limited Lenses". After all these lenses are supposed to be hand assembled and checked, so how can there be bad copies? Or are there bad copies because they are hand made - the ones made on Friday afternoon and Monday morning being the bad ones? Perhaps there would be fewer bad copies if they were made by robots?
If there are bad copies of Limited lenses, thats a pretty big issue for me. I work in the Sydney CBD where there are plenty of camera shops, however, I very rarely come across Pentax lenses, let alone Pentax Limiteds. When I do, its a case of take the one copy we have in stock, or move on - its not like I have a few copies to choose from. Even worse, they have no stock and I have to wait a few weeks for the shop to order it and for a copy to come in, which may or may not be good. Or take the easy option and order from B&H and get it in a week (and pray that I dont get a bad copy).
I have no option but to rely on Photozone charts and reviews, as I cant just step into a Camera store and judge for myself. Klaus from Photozone is usually pretty spot on. A few months ago, he released a review of the FA43 LTD that didnt quite live up to the expectations. At the time everyone here said it was a bad copy, that it was because it wasnt a Silver copy, Vietnam copy etc. So I bought a silver MIJ FA 43, and guess what - it performs exactly as Klaus said it did. So from now on, I'm only buying lenses that get the Highly Recommended from Photozone, never mind if forum members sing the praises of a lens from the rooftops.

Photozone isn't the only game in town. I use multiple sources. Didn't see anyone specifically say anything abut photozone.
08-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Da 21mm is a great lens for its light weight. And perhaps it is quite cute looking

Its bokeh is extremely ugly when it comes down to most highlight situations a lot worse than what we would expect from such limited lens line up. Again this lens has amazing colour using aperture wide open at night. Just a personal bias on this one.
Hey Roe, long time no see! I thought maybe you had moved away from Pentax.
08-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #83
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
My point is, what use is a prime, when it is outperformed by zooms?
there is more to "performance" than MTF charts. seriously, that last statement demonstrates a very narrow understanding of IQ.

08-07-2012, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter

For comparison...

All taken at f:5.6, K10D on tripod within a few min or each others:

DA15Ltd

DA21Ltd

DA40Ltd

DA70Ltd

08-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #85
Veteran Member

regor - that is just the comparison shots I need to see - thanks so much!

For my decision making, it is more the field of view difference that I am looking at.
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Out of curiosity, I read the photozone review of the DA21. I wouldn't call it a negative review. It didn't get their 'Highly Recommended' award, but they praised it where it was due praise. I love the field of view, and the rendering. It is not a perfect lens, but there aren't many of those. I have enjoyed owning it, and I never regretted the purchase.
08-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Hey Roe, long time no see! I thought maybe you had moved away from Pentax.
No, I just stopped whatever I was doing few years ago. I still kept all my gear but did random snapshots with compact camera from Sony...

I got my k30 3 weeks ago. Shamefully, I had yet did many shots with it. Still trying to find time to do things
08-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Out of curiosity, I read the photozone review of the DA21. I wouldn't call it a negative review. It didn't get their 'Highly Recommended' award, but they praised it where it was due praise. I love the field of view, and the rendering. It is not a perfect lens, but there aren't many of those. I have enjoyed owning it, and I never regretted the purchase.
At times, there is this pixelated look from Da 21mm... The colour turns pastel like which can be good or bad depending on your taste.